Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:33 PM

383 posts, read 222,913 times

Advertisements

What are some must read biography's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 04:17 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,477,283 times
I just finished Hungry by Crystal Renn which I think every teenage girl in America should read, along with her parents, gym teacher, guidance counselor, doctor and potential boyfriends

Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,853,297 times
I don't normally read biographies, particularly of those still alive, so I don't know if I'd call them "must reads" but I've recently read; "We'll Be Here For The Rest Of Our Lives", Paul Shaeffer's autobiography and "American By Choice" (I think that was the title) by Craig Ferguson. Both pretty good.

And while these are not full biographies I've just finished, "Man In White" about Mark Twain's last 3 1/2 years. Although our popular image of him is in the white suit, he started wearing that in 1906, 40 months before his death.

Just this week I read "LIghting Out For The Territory" (can't remember the exact title) about how Sam Clemens became "Mark Twain" in the period between 1861-1867.

I've pretty much been a "Mark Twain" fan for the last 30 years. He was the guy who pretty much invented the "American" novel, developed the "road story" as we know it and was one of the best known Americans of the 19th century. Not just in the sense that he was popular with a wide cross-section of Americans, but that he met and corresponded with just about anyone who was anyone. The number of famous people, in literature, theatre, politics, finance etc that he was close to is remarkable.

No wonder Time Magazine did a cover story on him a couple of years ago calling him "America's First Superstar". Check out either of the books and you'll be amazed.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:27 PM

88,626 posts, read 84,895,898 times
I enjoyed Nicholas and Alexandra, if you have an interest in historical figures.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:01 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,645,386 times
'Maos Last Dancer' by Li Cunxin was an excellent read. It was so interesting to realize as I was reading Li's autobiography that the things he experienced (no indoor plumbing, not having the ability to chose ones career, meat is a luxuory only available once a year) happened in the 1970s. Somehow it blew my mind to realize that this is how so many people live their lives in an industrialized nation like China. It also puts an interesting spin on Chinese Olympic athletes. There really is no choice involved here.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:57 PM

410 posts, read 1,108,466 times
The Burn Journals by Brent Runyan, about a depressed 14-year-old boy who douses himself w/ gasoline and sets himself on fire.

Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston, about a hiker who becomes trapped by a falling rock which pins his arm and has to face survival in a hot desert canyon.

Dear Senator by Essie Mae Washington Williams, I normally am not a big fan of these types of biographies and I really don't care for the political bent at all, but I was very surprised--this was an excellent story by the hidden biracial daughter of Strom Thurmond. A very poignant yet almost incredible story that is about family but at the same times illustrates the profound division of class in this country.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,893,807 times
I just started reading "Mistress of the Vatican: The True Story of Olimpia Maidalchini: The Secret Female Pope" by Eleanor Herman and it seems pretty good so far.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,205,954 times
My recommendation is decidedly pale, I'm sure, next to some of what has been suggested. I have never been a fan of George Washington ever since the canned, white-washed portrait I received of him in high school history classes, and, consequently, with so much great writing in the world by-passed any books about him.

However, as part of a project I was working on I read The Ascent of George Washington: the hidden genius of an American icon by John Ferling. It was a good reading experience, and went a long way to erasing the plaster saint image I had been stuck with for decades. I came away with a real appreciation, and even a liking, for a very human and very talented man. I would heartily recommend.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,216,166 times
Daughter of Persia by Sattareh Farman Farmaian.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14054321-post16.html

Old 05-06-2010, 04:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
Must spell biographies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books