Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:09 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times

Advertisements

It's been my observation since joining C-D forum that many of us would describe ourselves as pretty avid readers. Seems to be a pretty high correlation with liking forums and reading! After all, much of "forum life" is about reading what others have written.

Personally, I do consider myself an avid reader, and I read books (non-fiction and Christian fiction,) magazines, newspaper, the internet.....) I love fiction, but I can't always find a lot of things that I find to be suitable (interesting to me but wholesome.) One of my favorite authors is Christian fiction author, Karen Kingsbury. Magazines are probably my second favorite medium for reading.

So how about you? Do you consider yourself an avid reader? What do you like to read primarily? Is there anything you particularly DON'T like to read? Do you have a favorite author?

Let's define what I mean by "avid!" Just someone who feels they read a lot and greatly enjoys reading.

Last edited by kaykay; 04-29-2010 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: defining "avid reader" for the purposes here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
I read people...

Old 04-29-2010, 08:27 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
Morning KayKay, I think that is a brilliant observation. I don't know if I meet the threshold of an "avid reader", but at the very least I would say I am a "strong" reader. I like Classical literature, historical, the Bible, not fictions or magazines so much but if a story peaks my interest I am all over it. I read a lot for information about a great many things. I think I love legal writings the best. However, the internet forum is basically for my pleasure. I enjoy it. And since it is as u say all about reading I do not typically read posts are threads that r overly long unless the the subject matter is peaks my interest... There is so much to read I want to make the most of my time.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

Do you consider yourself an avid reader? well if an avid reader is one who reads books, then no....
What do you like to read primarily? my yahoo home page and of course city-data forums....
Is there anything you particularly DON'T like to read? books....
Do you have a favorite author? not at all....

Old 04-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Ok, I went back and defined "avid reader" simply as one who thinks that they read a lot and greatly enjoys reading!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Do you consider yourself an avid reader? Yes, I read just about everything and anything.

What do you like to read primarily? I have many interests and there are many things I would like to learn to "do". I will read cookbooks, how to books, gardening books, self sustainable books, magazines, telephone books, travel and campground books, maps, brochures...pretty much if it's in front of me I will pick it up and at least skim it. I also do a lot of research and reading online.

Is there anything you particularly DON'T like to read? Biographies..sorry I just don't care enough If I knew you it might be different. Anything politcal..I find that to be "extreme" fiction and I can't handle the lies...sorry Oh yeah...and I hate the biased and depressing or blow sunshine up your butt news

Do you have a favorite author? Many, but my newest is James Patterson for fiction.

Oh and how could I forget the best. I love reading anything funny including jokes. I love to laugh and smile.

Last edited by ylisa7; 04-29-2010 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
I'm small potatoes compared to some people I know. But I read 2-3 newspaper a day, and I often have a book that I read over several weeks. Right now I'm into how-to, history and biographies. It's amazing to me how much of American history I never learned in school.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:30 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
By the way, some of you may know my friend Caldium, who has just started becoming a regular on this forum (thanks to me, she's my walking partner and I told her about it!)

Anyway, Caladium is an author, and I recently read this book by her:

http://www.keogan.com/springfeathercover.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
By the way, some of you may know my friend Caldium, who has just started becoming a regular on this forum (thanks to me, she's my walking partner and I told her about it!)

Anyway, Caladium is an author, and I recently read this book by her:
That's cool. Thanks for letting us know that about Caladium!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
Yep always have been...always will be I just hate it when some proclaim there is no need for libraries or books anymore, due to the internet That would be a pathetic day IMHO.

I read non-fiction almost exclusively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books