Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:12 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Does the commuter rail in Roslindale, go into Boston, and/or other suburbs? And is Roslindale very ethnically diverse? Are the safest areas of Roslindale, also the most costly, with regards to housing? Also, is Roslindale as accepting of those in the gay and lesbian community, as JP is supposed to be?
1. Yes, the commuter rail goes into Boston. It takes about 15 minutes to get downtown. In the other direction, it goes to West Roxbury (a part of Boston) and Needham (a suburb). Only thing is it doesn't run on Sundays, and at off-times it only comes every couple hours.

2. Yes, it's a diverse neighborhood, probably comparable to JP.

3. The safest areas probably are more expensive, although I don't live in the neighborhood so I'm not sure. Overall I think it's a little cheaper than JP since it's farther out.

4. Yes, some GLBT people have moved to Roslindale after being priced out of JP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Minor factual correction: the 39 bus is what replaced the old trolley line in Jamaica Plain.

I like "Rozzie" but don't exactly love it. It's definitely quieter and more affordable than JP. Starting in the '90s, the neighborhood square started to become revitalized with the help of federal "Main Streets" money. It was "rebranded" as Roslindale Village (which no one calls it.) The results have always been mixed and more recently are not as good. Some of the trendy/yuppie types of businesses ended up not being able to make a go of it. However, others such as a coffee shop remain among the cellphone stores and corner markets. Night life is limited to the neighborhood restaurants and taverns, among which the Pleasant Café on Washington St is a personal "like."

During three decades in Massachusetts I've been happy to see that many communities whose citizens were hostile to "outsiders" and anybody who didn't look like them have mellowed. Rozzie definitely falls into this category. There are enough Hispanics that businesses (not only bodegas) which cater to them are in place. Once a "sundown town," Rozzie now counts numerous AA households and not only within its "projects." Its Greek enclave, along - oddly enough - Belgrade Ave is still thriving. And although you won't see legions of babies being promenaded by their two moms, no one blinks an eye when one or a couple of same-sexers take up residence.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Minor factual correction: the 39 bus is what replaced the old trolley line in Jamaica Plain.

I like "Rozzie" but don't exactly love it. It's definitely quieter and more affordable than JP. Starting in the '90s, the neighborhood square started to become revitalized with the help of federal "Main Streets" money. It was "rebranded" as Roslindale Village (which no one calls it.) The results have always been mixed and more recently are not as good. Some of the trendy/yuppie types of businesses ended up not being able to make a go of it. However, others such as a coffee shop remain among the cellphone stores and corner markets. Night life is limited to the neighborhood restaurants and taverns, among which the Pleasant Café on Washington St is a personal "like."

During three decades in Massachusetts I've been happy to see that many communities whose citizens were hostile to "outsiders" and anybody who didn't look like them have mellowed. Rozzie definitely falls into this category. There are enough Hispanics that businesses (not only bodegas) which cater to them are in place. Once a "sundown town," Rozzie now counts numerous AA households and not only within its "projects." Its Greek enclave, along - oddly enough - Belgrade Ave is still thriving. And although you won't see legions of babies being promenaded by their two moms, no one blinks an eye when one or a couple of same-sexers take up residence.
Speaking of lesbians, which area do you think is better for them; JP or Roslindale? When I say better, I mean which area has more activities for lesbians, such as parades, potlucks, women's centers, softball games, women's cafes, bars, and other activities?

Old 01-15-2011, 02:15 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
It's way more "organized" in JP, no question about it.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:59 PM

84 posts, read 132,228 times
I hope I am not too late to the party. As a Realtor who has lived in JP and now in West Roxbury, I can tell you that a strong shift in demographics is occurring. Mostly FROM JP and the South End to West Roxbury.
Why is this happening? Price, value, safety and sense of neighborhood that exists in West Roxbury.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REtoday View Post
I hope I am not too late to the party. As a Realtor who has lived in JP and now in West Roxbury, I can tell you that a strong shift in demographics is occurring. Mostly FROM JP and the South End to West Roxbury.
Why is this happening? Price, value, safety and sense of neighborhood that exists in West Roxbury.
Seems to me, that rising housing prices, have been occurring in neighborhoods with even the slightest hint of desireability, for the past 20 years. Because women and minorities, as a group, earn less money than white males, women and minorities have been the most negatively impacted, by the escalating housing price trend.

It's like, where can a single woman of color, live anymore, in a place that isn't a run-down ghetto?? And if you happen to be a lesbian on top of being a woman of color, it's even worse, because lesbians tend to have lower incomes, than straight women. So as a realtor, what is the answer?
Should a person like me, just settle for a life in ghetto housng? Should I even try to find housing in JP, or Roslindale??

Old 01-16-2011, 10:52 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Seems to me, that rising housing prices, have been occurring in neighborhoods with even the slightest hint of desireability, for the past 20 years. Because women and minorities, as a group, earn less money than white males, women and minorities have been the most negatively impacted, by the escalating housing price trend.

It's like, where can a single woman of color, live anymore, in a place that isn't a run-down ghetto?? And if you happen to be a lesbian on top of being a woman of color, it's even worse, because lesbians tend to have lower incomes, than straight women. So as a realtor, what is the answer?
Should a person like me, just settle for a life in ghetto housng? Should I even try to find housing in JP, or Roslindale??
It's the ages old law of supply and demand. That which is more desirable is worth more than the undesired. It's simple economics and it gives people of lower income the incentive and drive to worker harder to make more of themselves.

As a young person out of college, I didn't make very much money. And I wasn't alone amongst my friends and co-workers in this predicament. And the quick solution was to live in ghetto areas and lived in crowded apartments and houses with as many roommates as possible. At one point in Cambridge, I answered a classified ad and shared a two bedroom apartment with one bathroom with three other men. Fortunately, our work schedules were completely different. I worked at a record store for minimum wages. And I did that for a year, until I could save up for a better rooming situation and found a better paying job.

In your case, just find yourself a shared house or apartment situation. If you have poor credit, then it's better that way as you'll never be able to sign a lease under your own name anyway. Live as cheaply as you can for a year or so, get to know the Boston area better, make new friends, save up your money and then move to a better roommate share situation, maybe a living situation with one of your new Boston friends.

And I find that the "dangerous" areas around Boston are not all that scary to be in. Just don't dress or act like someone that is worth mugging. Just use your commonsense and be aware of your surroundings. And in regards to living with someone you don't know, just keep your valuables like expensive jewelry in a safe deposit box. Don't keep lots of cash around.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-17-2011 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: off topic/personal

Old 01-16-2011, 06:16 PM

84 posts, read 132,228 times
Agree about rising housing prices. That occurred for many reasons one of which is the fact that Boston has limited land and therefore prices escalate. There are many more reasons but they are beyond the scope of this narrative.
You need to find a place that fits your needs and wants. Somewhere you feel like a member of the community and a contributor to the neighborhood in which you live. A place that you are happy to return to after a trying day at the job, and a place that values you for you!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:24 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
point is, no one is stopping anyone of any race/gender/sexual orientation from living anywhere. if you're lower income and want to live in a nice place, do something to change your income level or do as miu pointed out and rent a room instead. if you want to settle for "ghetto housing", that's on you, but no one is forcing you to do so. I've never had to do so (well, I do consider Allston to be a student ghetto). I've lived in quite a few decent-nice areas, even on a cheap student budget

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-17-2011 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: response to deleted post

Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
BTW I wouldn't consider most low rent areas around Boston as ghetto neighborhoods... that terminology was introduced by the O.P. first. I confess that I feel "ghetto" to have very harsh and demeaning overtones.

Otherwise, the most culturally diverse areas are usually the same areas with cheaper rents. I don't think that it's because minorities are not welcome in tonier (and whiter) neighborhoods, but more that in pursuing the American dream, it's much more practical (and comfortable) for these minority cultures to live as frugally as possible, save and pool their earnings, and put that money into a family business or piece of real estate. Or they save to send money back to family in their home country or to bring over more relatives.

I do recall when I was in my twenties and working two full time jobs in South Providence and living in a shared house situation, my parents affectionately described me as "slumming it".

I bought a car a long time ago from a woman who lived in a cool co-op house in Dorchester. They were very organized about their cooking and household cleaning duties. It was a very nice supportive community within that household. It was an interesting mixture of single people in transition. The woman I bought the car from was about to go to Europe to be a nanny for a very rich family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston