Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,387 times

Advertisements

I've had a lot of trouble finding decent Americanized chinese food in Boston. Are there any of those standard, sit-down chinese restaurants that serve free hot tea and white rice with your meal here in Boston? That's the norm where i'm from originally, but out here the only options seem to be truly horrendous take out chinese or super authentic restaurants that i'm not prepared to handle.

I gave up the hunt for decent Mexican food a long time ago, but i'm still holding out hope for a good old fashioned, non-authentic Chinese sit-down restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:10 PM

43 posts, read 123,181 times
You know, coming from Maine I found it interesting that I couldn't even find Chinese restaurants in Boston as good as ones in my area. Kowloon in I believe Peabody has a flashy setting with the best chicken teriyaki I've ever had, but the other things I've had there aren't too special. Good, just no special.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:46 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
PF Changs?

There are a few places in Chinatown who serve dishes for American taste buds. Chau Chow City, Pearl Villa, Peach Farm to name a few. There is a sit down place on W Broadway in Southie called Pan Asia thats actually quite good. $5 Mai Tais too.

Kowloon has gone downhill a bit I think. I was actually there Sunday and it wasn't as good as I remember. No tea (although it's prob available a la carte) and no after dinner pineapple. Great atmosphere though.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:58 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
What is Americanized Chinese food? My new favorite Chinese restaurant is Joyful Garden at the bottom of the Days Inn in Brighton on Soldiers Field Road. They make a lobster sauce that is as good as I used to get in Chinatown when I was a child. Dark, eggy and with black beans. That with a bowl of plain rice is heaven to me!

I also am happy with the Hong Kong restaurant in Harvard Square. good Scorpion Bowls too.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:28 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
I've had a lot of trouble finding decent Americanized chinese food in Boston. Are there any of those standard, sit-down chinese restaurants that serve free hot tea and white rice with your meal here in Boston? That's the norm where i'm from originally, but out here the only options seem to be truly horrendous take out chinese or super authentic restaurants that i'm not prepared to handle.

I gave up the hunt for decent Mexican food a long time ago, but i'm still holding out hope for a good old fashioned, non-authentic Chinese sit-down restaurant.
Lots of them, what area do you live in?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:53 PM

59 posts, read 143,344 times
Hsin Hsin Cafe at the corner of Mass Ave and Comm Ave.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 PM

120 posts, read 383,229 times
My favorite Chinese food in the Boston area is specifically the Sunday brunch buffet at Changsho in Cambridge (on Mass Ave). The few times we've been for dinner, it's been hit or miss. But the Sunday brunch has always been solid. Hands down my favorite place for Americanized Chinese food in the Boston area.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:28 AM

717 posts, read 1,058,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Lots of them, what area do you live in?
Brookline. Tried Chef Chow's in Coolidge Corner. It was ok, still no tea and rice.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
My $.02 = once you try Pho Pasteur, Symphony Sushi or Brown Sugar Cafe, you'll wonder how Chinese food restaurants can even stay in business.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:03 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Brookline. Tried Chef Chow's in Coolidge Corner. It was ok, still no tea and rice.
I used to live in brookline, I was a fan of golden temple near washington sq. Pretty good sit down chinese but a bit pricey. Also, it turns into a club at night on the weekends. I never checked out this feature... but if you're looking for just dinner keep that in mind

Last edited by Highwyre237; 07-06-2011 at 07:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston