Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:19 PM

157 posts, read 493,855 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

Few days ago I posted about transportation and living area in Boston and got lots of help, this place is awesome!

Again I really hope there is some sort of collection thread to put all these useful postings together, it can benefit future move-ins greatly.
(A qualified collection thread is much better than the "search")

About this topic.... the food in Boston!

I personally have Chinese background, so would love to enjoy some great authentic Chinese food, whereas I heard Boston has a lot to offer (Chinatown), but besides Chinatown, is there another area has good Chinese food?

Do you guys eat out a lot at Boston? I'm a big fan of good restaurants. Any comments about the good food area is appreciated (any kind of good is great). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,346 times
Boston has some excellent restaurants. You may want to check out the Boston section of the Chowhound website for detailed discussions of the restaurant scene. For better or worse, we're also home to some celebrity chefs (ex. Todd English and Ming Tsai) who have their flagship restaurants in this area. I would also look at the Menupages website for Boston which breaks down restaurants by area and cuisine and provides menus to a large number of restaurants. I also recommend buying a Zagat's guide; I find mine very helpful.

Very briefly and others can elaborate: the South End is known for its excellent restaurants. The North End is the Boston version of Little Italy. Of course you have Chinatown (love the dim sum). Newbury St. in the Back Bay is the place to go for people watching and trendy outdoor dining. Cambridge has some fabulous restaurants, but they are spread out all over. Brookline is a hotbed of terrific sushi and more burrito places than you can count.

I'm not an expert on the Chinese dining scene. I'm sure there are some good restaurants other than those in Chinatown, but I think they are scattered. Quincy, just south of Boston, has a large Asian population and has a variety of Chinese, Vietnamese, and Japanese restaurants. I like the Hong Kong Eatery on Hancock St. in Quincy for Chinese. Quincy also has the Kam Man marketplace which is a giant Chinese supermarket/mall in one.

Here are some of my faves:

I'm a sushi fan so Fugakyu in Brookline and Oishii in Chestnut Hill
Prezza and Giacomos for Italian in the N. End. Giacomos also has a location in the S. End
Helmand in Cambridge for amazing Afghan food
East Coast Grill for a seafood grill and BBQ style
Cuchi Cuchi in Cambridge for tapas
New Shanghai and Chau Chau City in Chinatown for dim sum and Chinese
Orinoco in the S. End and Brookline Village for Latin American/Venezuelen
Anna's Taqueria and Boca Grande for cheap and delicious burritos

That's certainly not an exclusive list. There's a lot more that I like, but that's just off the top of my head.

Last edited by shiver; 07-01-2009 at 11:05 PM..

Old 07-01-2009, 10:54 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
For "authentic" you're pretty much stuck with Chinatown. Every city neighborhood and suburban town has its own "Chinese" restaurants, but you won't find alleged delicacies like chicken feet there. Those places cater to the American palate with lo mein, Peking duck, etc. My favorite of such places is Chef Chang's House, on Beacon St in Brookline just across the border from Boston along the "C" route of the Green Line.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,443 times
Thumbs up Boston food-restaurant websites

Boston food links:

Welcome to Phantom Gourmet's Online Dining Community

There's tv diner too on NECN with Billy costa but I cant get the link to work

Massachusetts Restaurants -- MassMenus.com *** Boston Restaurants - Restaurants in Massachusetts - Dining in Mass ***
http://www.yelp.com
Chowhound Boards - Chowhound
Food - Boston.com
Boston Food & Whine
Boston Vegetarian Food Festival
United_States/MA/Boston
Boston, MA Metro Restaurant Reviews and Recommendations by Citysearch
MenuPages Blog :: Boston: The MenuPages Guide to the Best Boston Food Twitters: Volume Two
FarmFresh.org — - RI farms, local food, farmers' markets
Boston Dining Guide | Boston Food Critic
Boston dining and drinking
Boston Restaurant Week - Summer Restaurant Week 2009 - The Unofficial Guide to Boston Restaurant Week
ZAGAT: Ratings & Reviews for New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Philadelphia and Restaurants Everywhere
The Food Monkey » TheFoodMonkey.com’s Guide To Boston’s Best Bar Menu Deals (http://thefoodmonkey.com/bardeals/?p=3 - broken link)
Boston Restaurant Guide - food, - FoodieView
The Boston Survival Guide: health food stores, restaurants, healing resources, bookstores, radio stations, clubs and more!
BostonChefs.com: guide to Boston restaurants and fine dining - featuring the best chefs and restaurants in Boston
Boston Sightseeing | Boston Visitors Guide | Sightseeing in Boston
The North End - Boston's Little Italy
Dining in the North End (http://www.northendboston.com/dining.htm - broken link)

Old 07-05-2009, 11:21 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,443 times
Default Ernestos and Pushcart Pizzeria in North End

try Ernesto's pizzeria - huge pizza slices....all different variety

and Pushcart pizzeria on Salem St. is nice as well Good pizza. and friendly staff. Angelo the owner is there a lot

check it out

Old 07-06-2009, 07:38 AM

68 posts, read 183,281 times
Welcome to the Boston area!

I'm not crazy about the Phantom Gourmet (too commericalized for me) - but I'll second the suggestion of the Boston Chowhound site. You'll find endless suggestions there for good, local chow, along with warnings about disappointments, too. I love, love, LOVE that site...

I find the great thing about this area is the variety of food places.

One local Chinese restaurant that's been getting lots of praise is Fuloon in Malden (Malden has a large Asian community, also). Stick with their menu items - I'd avoid the daily luncheon buffet, as that seems to be more of the standard, Americanized menu. I believe they serve Cantonese - haven't tried it myself - yet.

Another good thing about Chowhound is that people get together occasionally to try out favorite restaurants - there have been a few outings to Fuloon in the past, and I know there will be more.

The Boston area has so many good restaurants - you'll have lots of fun!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:26 AM

157 posts, read 493,855 times
wow thanks guys... your recommendations are making me dizzy LOL

looks like it's gonna take me a big while just to have a rough taste of the great city of Boston!

---is Boston a city whereas most young people eat out more than cook home?

Old 07-06-2009, 05:39 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,582 times
I still haven't eaten there (hubby is a spice-wimp) but I know people RAVE about Chilli Garden in Medford square. I keep hearing again and again that it is THE most authentic Sichuan food people have had outside of China. Check it out.

Some of my personal favorites are:

Dali - Cambridge
Oleana - Cambridge
Upstairs on the Square - Cambridge
Gargoyles - Somerville
Elephant Walk - Cambridge or Fenway
Redbones BBQ - Somerville
Namaskar - Somerville
Coolidge Corner Clubhouse - Brookline
Matt Murphy's Pub - Brookline
Soundbites - Somerville

I also love the Beehive and Gaslight in the South End, but find their food to be kind of hit-or-miss. I just love the ambiance so much I keep going back anyway!

Definitely check both Yelp and Chowhound. You'll get a lot of great recommendations.

I'd say people both cook and eat out in Boston. It's not NYC where kitchens are the size of matchboxes, but I think a lot of people tend to do long happy hours and ordering appetizers and and and...

Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
I like the Chinese restaurant in the corner of the Super 88 Market in Allston. The one with the display of hanging roast duck and side or roasted pig. And there's free parking!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 AM

46 posts, read 165,490 times
Taiwan Cafe in Chinatown, it's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston