Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 AM

68 posts, read 107,830 times

Advertisements

In May (after graduating school) where would be the best place to move for a single 23 year old male who is looking for a semi-professional job. But additionally wants to live in an area close to college party-like things

I'm by no means an artist or musician (though I do like doing the cultured things)
And obviously I won't have friends when I move so I must make them

Lastly is there a website or anything anyone would recommend for finding roommates/place to live (I saw quite a few but they all seem..generic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Allston, Brighton, Cambridge, Somerville, Jamaica Plain, Mission Hill, Dorchester...check on CraigsList for roommates.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Oh I have a car (if that matters, but it seems having 1 is kind of a bad thing) and things like living space don't matter to me

If I'm not making much sense sorry but I want to be "kind of" grown up..aka have a normal 9-5 kind of job Mon-Fri, but other than those 40 hours a week I want to go out drinking, see shows, etc

Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,914 times
Go with Allston/Brighton. Its smack between Boston College and Boston University and has a lot of students living off campus in the area, has a ton of restaurants and bars, and is generally centrally located to everything. Plus a lot of young professionals and recent graduates from those and other Boston area universities. The only downside there is parking is a nightmare.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
What is a "semi-professional" job?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Something that is more than working at a place such as walmart or a restaraunt (not counting fine dining) but less than 60k a year job that requires a Masters in Economics

I guess business casualish scenario is better than suit and tie

Old 02-04-2012, 07:25 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaliton View Post
Oh I have a car (if that matters, but it seems having 1 is kind of a bad thing) and things like living space don't matter to me

If I'm not making much sense sorry but I want to be "kind of" grown up..aka have a normal 9-5 kind of job Mon-Fri, but other than those 40 hours a week I want to go out drinking, see shows, etc
A car is very helpful in Boston. It will make going shopping much easier. When you get a place, you can get a residents permit for free, as long and you register your car in MA.

Having lived on Mission HIll and in Allston, I have never had that much of an issue finding parking in the residential zones.

As for place to live.... I was always fond of the Coolidge corner area. You have good access to recreation, dinning, and there are some cool apartment complex's that are built around pools. Also, you are on the D branch of the green like which would get you into the city much quicker than the other green line branches.

And, because most of the living in the area is in large apartment buildings, heat and hot water is included, which is better for budgeting. If you live in a newer building, or a triple decker, it most likely not. I was paying $330+ a month in the winter for gas in my 1900 mission hill triple decker.

As for "semi professional" jobs.. Boston is loaded with non-profits that would probably fit your bill. They seem to be way less buttoned up than their corporate counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston