Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM

70 posts, read 268,168 times

Advertisements

This pattern is evident in the Bos-DC corridor.

It doesn't exist in most other parts of the country.

Do they just think they're better than everyone, and that they can walk around and act like that? I don't get it.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBlesstheUSA View Post
Why do Bostonians take themselves so seriously?
Because no one else will?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 PM

6 posts, read 14,420 times
We have a deeper history than many other parts of the country, and while others chose to push west in hopes of a better life we stayed behind and accepted what we had. The English cultural heritage is stronger than other parts of the country (however, I think we must accept that the main parent of American culture in general is English culture, though it has become unique over time), because New England (and the other original colonies) was settled by the English directly, while the ones west of the east coast were, for the most part, settled by American citizens. We are more crowded than other parts, and we are more reserved. Some see it as unfriendliness or arrogance, but it's just a way of life. Some say we are less patriotic for the US in general, but it's the reservation again. We are just as glad to be Americans as you are, even if it doesn't mean we are going to display it everywhere in a public fashion. If you don't like the way Bostonians are, you don't have to come here, but if you take us seriously, then we will take you seriously too. And we are not better, even if it seems we think we are. It's simply that each part of the country is unique, and we are proud of ours, though we can learn to appreciate other parts as well.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 PM

38 posts, read 105,356 times
There are plenty of topics on this forum that discuss cultural differences between different areas of the country, including New England, and you'd be better off searching for them. Incidentally, these differences are often taken to be negative in some way (insulting, rude, annoying, etc.) to those who don't recognize them as such. I'm not implicitly accusing you of that right off the bat, because it's always possible you've run into your share of truly arrogant people who happen to be from Boston, but it's something to consider when painting with such a broad brush.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,307,085 times
Quote:

Do they just think they're better than everyone, and that they can walk around and act like that? I don't get it.
So why don't you just leave? I love it here and don't see this "pattern" at all. Most people I know around here are salt of the earth.

You seem to prefer the south. I wouldn't last 10 days in the south. To each his own. But what useful purpose does a thread like this serve? If it's not your cup of tea make your plans and set up shop elsewhere.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,162 times
Quote:

Can you give an example of what your talking about? Has somebody from that area told you that there better than you? I was born, raised and lived most of my life in Boston up until 2 years ago, I know live in VA. Assuming your from the south I can tell you that MOST southern people although very nice, are extremely easy to insult, you find rudeness where there is none. Is this whats going on or are your referring to something more specific?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,077 times
Quote:

We are better than everyone.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 AM

341 posts, read 672,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
We are better than everyone.
hey hey hey,,,love that dirty water,,,,,get me out of LA!!,,,so I can triple park on Mass Ave!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
hey hey hey,,,love that dirty water,,,,,get me out of LA!!,,,so I can triple park on Mass Ave!!!
Triple parking is only allowed in Southie.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:01 PM

420 posts, read 1,369,604 times
it isnt a boston thing, its a northeastern thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston