Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 01:40 AM

58 posts, read 80,323 times

Advertisements

Can someone attempt to very loosely draw similarities between neighborhoods in Boston and neighborhoods in New York for me? I was once told that was IMPOSSIBLE to do this for New York and Montreal and then went there myself and realised that it was completely possible to do it, you just had to be able to compare with perspective. It might be helpful if you've been to both cities in the past 5 years. It's about perspective and relevance, not equivalents. For example, this area is City X's Soho but with more retail chains and families and less high end shops. Etc, etc.

Anyway, it's just a way I use to talk to people about a city, I find one they can relate to. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Why do you need this sort of comparison for? Are you a New Yorker or a Bostonian? What kind of neighborhoods are you looking for in either of these cities? What is the point of this question? Are you moving or visiting one of these cities? Or is this for idle chit-chat?

Every major city has a financial business district, a couple of ethnic enclaves, some colleges, shopping districts etc... and the bigger the footprint of the city, the more likely there will be multiples of these types of areas.

I was born in Manhattan and use to visit it a lot when I was younger. IMO both cities are too different to do this with also. Manhattan is much bigger than Boston. And the boroughs are much bigger than any outlying Boston neighborhood.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Cool. Thanks.
Yes, it's as a way of getting my head around Boston as a place to move to and to look for apartments. I disagree, however, about it not being possible among major cities and for the very reasons you state. Even in differences there are connectable points. But it's cool, most people don't get what I'm asking when I ask. It's just that when I've asked about other cities and I'm told NOTHING compares to New York, I go to that city and it has been absolutely possible to do the comparison every time, you just have to not think what is as big as Times Square, or as upscale as SoHo, etc. It doesn't work that way. I just find that more often than not, people just want to think that each city is so unique and is incomparable to others and I just don't think that's true with very few exceptions when the culture of the place in question is really different. But for the most part, in North America, there really aren't differences.

But thanks!
(Love the Devout Atheist Humanist)

Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 PM
miu

It's true though, no city can compare to NYC... certainly not Boston. But it's NOT a competition. Every US city is unique and different.

I would never want to live in Manhattan again, but I'd certainly visit for the museums and great food in their chinatown. NYC is just too huge and densely populated for me. I prefer Boston being smaller and not being open 24/7. I also prefer Boston because I love being in New England and by an ocean and... lobster. We're also an easy drive up to Maine, NH and Vermont.

Also I can find great antiques here, treasures that I can afford for my collection. Parts of the US don't have the antiques I like, or if they do, they are too expensive. NYC has a great selection of antiques, but the prices are high and the competition for them fierce.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree and respect each other's opinions. Surely, we can do that, you seem like a really intelligent and well spoken person. Your description of what you like about Boston sounds exactly like what I'd like.

Here's what my wife and I are looking for...

- not trendy, consider access to popular places irrelevant
- safe (can come home late at night on the subway and be relatively worry free)
- good access via Subway to downtown for the odd time when you just HAVE to go to a Staples or Best Buy
- preferably not near young crowds or in a trendy hang-out district
- lots of older apartments, apartment buildings, walk ups as opposed to just shiny new buildings/condos
- neighborhood feel with local businesses (restaurants, bars, cafes, bookstores, etc)
- however, NOT with a suburban feel

I won't mention price because I think then that you start getting into personal opinions of what square footage is worth what amount of money, what a 1 bedroom is worth, etc.
Any thoughts on neighborhoods?

Old 08-11-2012, 02:49 PM
miu

Beacon Hill? There's a 24 hour CVS at one end of Charles St.

Back Bay along Commonwealth Ave along boulevard and around that area?

I used to work on Charles St. and many years ago, my parents had a shop along Newbury St.

But others will have to give their more expert input. I've been living in Newton for two decades now.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 PM

157 posts, read 570,725 times
...Sounds like you are describing Charlestown's Gas Light District, or countless neighborhoods in Cambridge and perhaps Brookline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston