Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,401 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. I am planning a move to Boston within the next year and have a set of roommates to go to. I had a friend who went to school in Boston as well. However, we're all 20ish and I'm also trying to figure out if there would be a Boston suburb/neighborhood that would be good for my mother. My friends currently live in Quincy, but haven't been there long enough to give me a sense of whether that area would also be good for my mom.

My mom is in her early 50s and has some disabilities. She doesn't need wheelchair accessibility, but sometimes has trouble walking far, so a neighborhood with public transportion is necessary. Safety is a concern, of course, but I also would hope for a neighborhood where people are more settled and there won't be a lot of college partying and drinking.

She's said she would be happy with a one-bedroom and her budget would be around 1000-1200, possibly 1300 if necessary (not including utilities).

Thank you very much for any advice you can give I really want to help her be in a good environment. We'll also be exploring her healthcare options to see if a elder/disabled home would be available as well, not for the assistance so much as the community. But apartments are first on our list to research at the moment.

Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 11:15 AM

6,575 posts, read 6,745,260 times
Check out Arlington. Lot's of apartments rght on Mass Ave which has great bus service to Harvard sq.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,073 times
If your mother has any need for walker or a scooter to get around Boston you may contact Wheelchair express in Charlestown. They carry wide range of mobility items and provide delivery.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,922,461 times
Kudos to you for thinking of your mother's needs!

Actually, Quincy might be a good option. I don't know Quincy well enough to recommend neighborhoods, but I do know enough to be aware that some sections would be more suitable than others for getting around by walking, so you need some more detailed info on that. There are several T stations in Quincy, so several neighborhoods with access to public transit. And Quincy should be a good fit for your mother's housing budget and preference for not being surrounded by college students and lots of partying.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 PM

27 posts, read 63,269 times
I second the Arlington recommendation, especially anything around Arlington Center. There are still some affordable studios available in her price range. 1100 to 1300 is very hard to come by for a one bedroom in Boston - most 1 beds just start at 1800.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston