Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 12,629 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Boston area. He will be working in both Waltham and Back Bay area (moving between two offices). We also have one kid left at home who will finish high school there (only one year left). Since we don't know where we'd like to end up, we will rent the first year (budget of $3000-$4000 for rent). Problem is we need a good school for our daughter's senior year in high school. Also desire a safe neighborhood, cool artsy area, good food and parking! Would love two bedrooms and like the idea of a loft. Asking a lot but will settle for something close. Oh and did I mention we have a black lab that we can not part with? I know, I'm asking a lot but does anyone have any great ideas? Where should we live?? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:36 AM

546 posts, read 1,377,850 times
Waltham is an awesome place to live and has a T Station that will take you right into the Back Bay and Boston. Waltham does have some cool artsy areas around the Down town seciton. Not as big as Boston, but much better parking and access to major highways for travel. In between Boston and Waltham are some great areas as well, Brookline, Newton as they have your criteria met. Boston will not have the parking criteria. Hope this helps

Old 12-07-2012, 06:05 AM

387 posts, read 916,799 times
The Waltham commuter line goes into North Station, not Back Bay.

I'd recommend Newton for your daughter's last year of high school. Since she only needs one year and you'll be renting, why not choose a top district? That commuter rail goes to Back Bay, and your husband would be within easy driving distance of Waltham. At least one bus line runs between Newton and Waltham, if public transportation is an issue. Plus, Newton is close enough in that you'd get a chance to enjoy the city before deciding on a town to buy in.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donewithpretty View Post
The Waltham commuter line goes into North Station, not Back Bay.

I'd recommend Newton for your daughter's last year of high school. Since she only needs one year and you'll be renting, why not choose a top district? That commuter rail goes to Back Bay, and your husband would be within easy driving distance of Waltham. At least one bus line runs between Newton and Waltham, if public transportation is an issue. Plus, Newton is close enough in that you'd get a chance to enjoy the city before deciding on a town to buy in.
I was thinking Newton as well. According to the pundits, it has one of the top school systems in the state for your daughter's final year of high school. Plus, there are lots of restaurants, shops, community organizations, and generally things to do in town. Super easy access to Boston by car and public transportation. Easy access to Waltham as well. I think in particular you would like West Newton because of it's slightly proximity to Waltham and its more artsy and urban feel compared to say Newton Center (Newton is comprised of 13 "villages" each with it's own unique character). There's actually a great "art house" theater that shows independent films in West Newton as well.

Based on the fact that you're willing to live in a two bedroom or a loft I'd say you shouldn't have any trouble finding a rental within your budget (happy to help if you need any as Newton is one of the areas I specialize in). The larger problem will be your dog as many rentals have a strict no pets policy.

Brookline could also be a good choice for you for many of the same reasons, but it can be even more expensive to live there. There's also no overnight street parking in Brookline and many rentals include only one parking space or very often no parking spaces. So, on top of your rent in Brookline expect to pay $100-$200 per car for a parking space depending on where you are in Brookline.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Thanks for all the info everyone. One rather important detail I forgot to mention is that my daughter is a musician (double bass) and the most important thing we need in the high school is a good orchestra program. I will check into Newton's program and specifically the West Newton since you mention that as a good area.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:54 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphybarnett View Post
Thanks for all the info everyone. One rather important detail I forgot to mention is that my daughter is a musician (double bass) and the most important thing we need in the high school is a good orchestra program. I will check into Newton's program and specifically the West Newton since you mention that as a good area.
Likely you're looking at Newton North High School then. FYI . . . Newton North was totally rebuilt and the new school just opened a few years ago. It was the most expensive school ever to be built in the state and was one of the most costly schools to be built in the entire country. It is often referred to as the Taj Mahal of high schools.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 PM

We have narrowed our decision down to the South End or Cambridge. Daughter is now graduating HS early so schools are not an issue. Planning on renting for a year, maybe two. So many different neighborhoods in Cambridge I'm not sure which is best. Getting conflicting advice from others. Some say South End is not very safe at night and that it might be too young. (We are late 40's and want to make friends near our age.) Those same people recommend Huron Village in Cambridge but I'm worried that will feel too suburban for me and that it is far out from Boston. Any help will be much appreciated!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,922,461 times
Will your daughter still be living with you? And so will you want a neighborhood that is good for a family while still having city amenities nearby? When I think of neighborhoods in Cambridge that would strike a good balance between local dining and entertainment and being good for a family with an older kid, I think first of Harvard Square and vicinity. Nice variety of age groups around there, and the area has some eclectic local dining options, with easy access to several other good dining/shopping areas in Cambridge, and pretty quick public transit connections to downtown Boston.

I don't know the South End well enough to get specific on where to live or not to live, but it's my understanding that some blocks may not be especially safe but otherwise the South End is a nice area with nothing more than the typical crime rate of most urban places.

You're probably right about the average age of South End residents. It's a young professionals kind of area. How well this would work depends on what you want to find right in your neighborhood. The South End is close to other areas in Boston where you could encounter people in a variety of age groups (downtown, Back Bay, Beacon Hill), but if you'd like to get to know some regulars in your age group at your favorite neighborhood eating spot or coffee shop, it's possible that the South End might not be the best area for you.

I might also suggest looking around the Coolidge Corner and Brookline Village neighborhoods in Brookline. Both areas have local commercial centers with neighborhood dining and the like, and both are pretty well located for access to your work locations and to various sections of Boston you might enjoy for entertainment. Coolidge Corner might have somewhat of a young crowd on average for your tastes, but Brookline is an affluent town, with enough people in their forties and up all over so that it's worth a look. Just give Coolidge Corner an especially close look to see how the age range there works for you. Also, be aware that Brookline bans overnight parking, so you'd want to focus any search in that town on places with on-site parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston