Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 07:46 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I hope we all fight for justice. It's the least we can do.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 05:55 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I hope we all fight for justice. It's the least we can do.
So now you are going to picket concert promoters until they book a black musician at Fenway? It that really a worth cause?

Did you vote for Obama just because he was black? I would hope not.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:05 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So now you are going to picket concert promoters until they book a black musician at Fenway? It that really a worth cause?

WTF are you talking about?
Forget it, I don't care. Just more ramblings by you.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:07 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

I don't think this would make sense because they never said they wouldn't have black acts (obviously)
Although local leaders definitely need to do something about the lack of Black promotion. I mean the Globe highlighted Bostons severe lack of Black representation.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:42 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
I don't think this would make sense because they never said they wouldn't have black acts (obviously)
Although local leaders definitely need to do something about the lack of Black promotion. I mean the Globe highlighted Bostons severe lack of Black representation.
What? The lack of black concert promoters? And it's not really a Boston problem or Boston's fault. Live Nation gets all the major acts and over several decades, it's become a huge international company that also owns many venues. And major acts prefer working with a major promoter, especially when there is so much money at stake. No music act wants to take a chance with a newbie promoter. So there's no room for any independent small promoter to handle a major act, no matter what their race is.

And what would your definition of a black promotion company be? That the staff be all or majority black? Or would it be enough if the owner of the company was black?

And LiveNation is always hiring staff. I'm sure that they would welcome black applicants.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:37 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i used to play ball down there off of jersey st.

the point of the article is that its racist that the caucasion managers at an inclusive venue such as fenway park has only invited caucasion acts to perform there.

i dont blame you. you are racist and therefor cant see how just going along with the status quo is racism (saying black persons who probably would never enjoy themselves listening to zac brown band inside the venue should be content with being able to share a basketball court with white kids ?).
I finally had a chance to ask a Live Nation employee about how they select the shows at Fenway. And they assured me that it had nothing at all to do with racism. In the wintertime, they start their search for potential Fenway acts. They only have a few open dates to work with. They have to work around the Red Sox practice sessions and games. So their windows of opportunity are when the Red Sox are on the road playing their away games. And the artists they pick have to be touring in the area AND be a big enough draw to sell out those expensive Fenway concert tickets. They can't afford to have any Fenway shows that aren't able to sellout their tickets.

The Rolling Stones were scheduled to play Fenway, but with the postponement of the tour because of Jagger's surgery, when they are able to play in Boston, it won't be at Fenway Park... at least not this summer.

Live Nation is is the business of making money, and to suggest that they are somehow dissing the black community is complete nonsense.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:59 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
There aren't enough black people with enough disposable income to fill Fenway (that enough people like enough to buy tickets) on a single night.

Which is symptomatic of the economic racism in Boston. That's not live nation's fault.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:07 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There aren't enough black people with enough disposable income to fill Fenway (that enough people like enough to buy tickets) on a single night.

Which is symptomatic of the economic racism in Boston. That's not live nation's fault.

Possibly true, but it isn't like a lot of major black music acts don't have significant numbers of white fans.

There aren't a lot of acts that draw that many that can fill Fenway though. Beyoncé a few years ago was one, and I'm sure there are others, but not many.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:19 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Crazy. I saw a bunch of them at Boston calling last year.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:07 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Crazy. I saw a bunch of them at Boston calling last year.
Boston calling had marginal diversity this year. Still a 90% white crowd and still attacked frequently by many young black people from Boston, not students of color from our of town who want to see a music festival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston