Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:40 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times

Advertisements

Hello all just wanted to say my experience when I went to Boston. Well coming from NYC, I expected for Boston to be very diverse. However it is not so diverse. I only saw White people there. Is it like this in all of Boston? Also the drivers do not drive fast lol... They drive slow.. I thought that they would drive like in NYC. Also it is so hard to find parking in Boston smh... I had to park in the parking lot numerous of times. Oh, I was so surprised that almost nobody had the Boston Red Sox sticker on their cars. In NYC, you will see lots of cars with the Yankees sticker. Overall? I like Boston. It is a cool city. When I was over there I felt like I was in Manhattan lol. When I was in Boston I didn't hear anyone with the Boston accent. Is the Boston accent still there? Also, everybody runs through the red light lol! Why everybody runs through the red light?

One question: If I want a taxi over there, do I need to call in the company or I can just hail a cab?

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 02-12-2014 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Hello all just wanted to say my experience when I went to Boston. Well coming from NYC, I expected for Boston to be very diverse. However it is not so diverse. I only saw White people there. Is it like this in all of Boston? Also the drivers do not drive fast lol... They drive slow.. I thought that they would drive like in NYC. Also it is so hard to find parking in Boston smh... I had to park in the parking lot numerous of times. Oh, I was so surprised that almost nobody had the Boston Red Sox sticker on their cars. In NYC, you will see lots of cars with the Yankees sticker. Overall? I like Boston. It is a cool city. When I was over there I felt like I was in Manhattan lol. Lastly, I didn't hear anyone with the Boston accent. Is the Boston accent still there?

One question: If I want a taxi over there, do I need to call in the company or I can just hail a cab?
Glad you had a good time!

Parking is a pain. And Red Sox stickers aren't too common, but they can be found all over the Boston area.

Boston's not as diverse as NYC, and both its diversity and people with Boston accents tend to be outside of the downtown neighborhoods.

And to my knowledge, it's possible to hail a cab in the busier parts of the city (I got one from Harvard square to Brighton once), but calling might be necessary if you want to pick one up from an obscure location. In general, I think cabs are less popular in Boston than in New York. I prefer to take trains/buses rather than cabs if possible.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:06 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
You only saw white folks who didn't have a Boston accent? What part of the city were you in? Are you sure you didn't miss Boston entirely and wind up in New Hampshire?

I've never heard anyone say we Bostonians drive fast. The lack of Red Sox decals on cars seems like an odd observation too.

With that said, glad you enjoyed your visit. Sorry to hear about Jeter.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Glad you had a good time!

Parking is a pain. And Red Sox stickers aren't too common, but they can be found all over the Boston area.

Boston's not as diverse as NYC, and both its diversity and people with Boston accents tend to be outside of the downtown neighborhoods.

And to my knowledge, it's possible to hail a cab in the busier parts of the city (I got one from Harvard square to Brighton once), but calling might be necessary if you want to pick one up from an obscure location. In general, I think cabs are less popular in Boston than in New York. I prefer to take trains/buses rather than cabs if possible.
Yeah that may probably be it. I was in downtown. I had a blast over there. I will definitely will be going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
You only saw white folks who didn't have a Boston accent? What part of the city were you in? Are you sure you didn't miss Boston entirely and wind up in New Hampshire?

I've never heard anyone say we Bostonians drive fast. The lack of Red Sox decals on cars seems like an odd observation too.

With that said, glad you enjoyed your visit. Sorry to hear about Jeter.
Yeah all the good players from the Yankees are leaving, now y'all are going to win all the world series lol, just playing.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:25 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
What... no comment on how tiny Boston is compared to NYC????

Quote:
Yeah that may probably be it. I was in downtown. I had a blast over there. I will definitely will be going back.
Yeah, downtown is fairly white, although Chinatown is close by. But out outlying areas of Roxbury, Dorchester, Jamaica and Mattapan are very diverse in skin colour... sort of like your NYC boroughs. Our downtown financial district is like your Wall Street area.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM

546 posts, read 1,377,507 times
[SIZE=5]nycricanpapi[/SIZE]

Glad you had a good time sir and you were a stranger here but once. I am in NYC once a month for work and I just love the energy. You would have to have spent alot of time in our city to catch the diversity of it all and some of our foods will give NYC a run for thier money.
Hope you come back again and as I look out the window of where I am working out of today, I see the Charles river and a lot of snow. Be glad you are not driving around here today

Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
Quote:
Hello all just wanted to say my experience when I went to Boston. Well coming from NYC, I expected for Boston to be very diverse. However it is not so diverse. I only saw White people there. Is it like this in all of Boston? Also the drivers do not drive fast lol... They drive slow.. I thought that they would drive like in NYC. Also it is so hard to find parking in Boston smh... I had to park in the parking lot numerous of times. Oh, I was so surprised that almost nobody had the Boston Red Sox sticker on their cars. In NYC, you will see lots of cars with the Yankees sticker. Overall? I like Boston. It is a cool city. When I was over there I felt like I was in Manhattan lol. When I was in Boston I didn't hear anyone with the Boston accent. Is the Boston accent still there? Also, everybody runs through the red light lol! Why everybody runs through the red light?

Having lived in & traversed throughout Boston itself and greater Boston/Eastern Massachusetts at-large for over 22 years and having visited it multiple times before in decades past, I always saw people of all races/colors, ethnicities, and nationalities everywhere I went . . . in all or nearly all circumstances. Even in central Boston (downtown, Beacon Hill/West End, North End, Chinatown, Back Bay, Fenway, et al and in all the surrounding areas and suburbs). As to non-whites (e.g., especially blacks and Hispanics), I'd see them every day or nearly every day and in all circumstances nearly everywhere I went (working, shopping, schooling, recreational activities, using public transit, visiting needed services such as the Post Office or banks or hospitals, etc. etc. etc.). How could you possibly be in greater Boston and not see blacks, Hispanics, Asians, et al? You must have walked into another dimension of our universe or some parallel universe (perhaps you entered the Twilight Zone?) but you couldn't have possibly been in Greater Boston/Eastern Massachusetts and believably say that all one ever sees here is "white people".

Even in any apartment complexes I've lived in (even more upscale buildings in upscale areas), there were black and/or Hispanic fellow residents, employees, visitors, et al . . . and certainly Asian of all types (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Middle Eastern/Arab, et al). And you see them represented in the local police, fire, and emergency services forces throughout the area and region as well and as political representatives on many levels of government and the public sector. So I'm perplexed.

Even the present governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is black (African-American) and his name is Governor Deval Patrick.

I'll be sure to tell all my black and/or Hispanic friends, associates, co-workers, professionals (doctors, dentists, et al), service and repair persons, building staffs, police officers, firefighters, hospital staff persons, retail store staffs, etc. etc. etc. that they, in fact, really don't exist and that I must be just imagining them to exist.

Last edited by UsAll; 02-13-2014 at 03:07 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 03:04 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
I went to NYC twice in the past two years and encountered many people without the New York accent. That just shows that a lot of people from elsewhere have moved into the city and settled down. That same goes for Boston. Check up census stats and you'll see population has grown in both cities and neighborhoods have been gentrified. You won't find as many old time folk anymore unless you look harder.

Parking is always a nightmare in Boston and always will be. We don't have much space up here. Drivers drive slow because our narrow roads are old cow paths that twist and turn unlike New York's grid layout. Red Sox stickers may not be common but lots of people wear Red Sox caps around here. Taxis can be hailed but they aren't that easy to find because there aren't that many of them around. The best way to get around Boston is the rapid transit even though it can get quite crowded and prone to breakdowns.

But Boston's Downtown is mostly WHITE ? I walk through Downtown Crossing all the time and see just as much Black, Brown, and Yellow .

Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
I was raised in NYC, then went to grad school in upstate NY and lived there for a while then moved to Boston 4 yrs ago. Boston is no NYC, which is why I moved here instead of back to NYC. I had enough of NY, not that I don't like it, just had enough of it. Anywhoo, if you're coming from NYC Boston does not seem diverse at all so I get that.

They're just different places so one will be dissapointed if they are lookingn for a smaller NYC.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I was raised in NYC, then went to grad school in upstate NY and lived there for a while then moved to Boston 4 yrs ago. Boston is no NYC, which is why I moved here instead of back to NYC. I had enough of NY, not that I don't like it, just had enough of it. Anywhoo, if you're coming from NYC Boston does not seem diverse at all so I get that.

They're just different places so one will be dissapointed if they are lookingn for a smaller NYC.
Good to hear from a perspective of a NYer. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston