Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,701,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I don't know if that ^^^ was meant to address my post about noise. If I moved into an area near a bar that closed at 2 a.m., I would absolutely accept that it is likely to be very noisy until a bit past 2 a.m. when everyone has to leave. But to find out that it may now stay noisy until a bit past 3:30 a.m. would be, well, annoying at least -- especially if music can be played until 3:30 a.m. (not sure if that's the case, although a couple of other posters have mentioned late-playing bands).
If you live right above a bar, you either cope with the noise and adjust to it or you move. I don't think an extra 90 minutes at that time of night is going to make a huge difference in your quality of life.

The bigger problem IMO is that the Boston Police Department isn't very well staffed. In NYC, there are visible patrols at all hours of the day, including cruisers hidden in strategic spots to catch drunk drivers. In MA, I rarely see cops out on the street late at night, and drunk driving enforcement seems to be an after the fact thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 10:16 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
If you live right above a bar, you either cope with the noise and adjust to it or you move. I don't think an extra 90 minutes at that time of night is going to make a huge difference in your quality of life.
Honestly, I'm really surprised by this answer. To me, that extra 90 minutes would be critically important, especially if it's a change from what was legal when I moved there. (I was actually remembering when I lived in an international dorm in Berkeley when I was in grad school there ... my room was cheap because it was right above a party room. I was fine with staying up until 1 a.m., when the parties were required to end and I could finally go to sleep. If they had told me in the middle of the semester, "Oh we're going to allow parties to go until 2:30 a.m.," I would have been very very upset, because had I known they were going to change the rules in the middle of the game, I would not have gotten that particular room.)

Of course this is why I live in suburbia in New Hampshire. I do like visiting Boston so am following this thread!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:19 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
It might be argued that extending hours might lower drinking in larger amounts since at the same point drinking is not as consolidated.

But if we go down that road couldn't it also be argued that we should allow for hunting on Sundays?

Less likelyhood of accidents when there are fewer people on a given day. Think of everyone that works Monday to Friday and pretty much due to state laws can ONLY hunt on Saturdays...which wouldn't be so bad if everyone would either...

Blue laws harm Jewish hunters | Washington Jewish Week

In NJ this gets odd with retail
Bergen County, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So some cannot shop on sundays because it is closed but cannot on saturdays because it is against their religion thus creating more traffic. While I would argue the government should not accommodate a religion the fact of the matter is traffic is real. Just as noise is real. Consolidating might make things worse.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:00 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I would actually prefer that to Walsh's proposal (there we really do need to join the rest of the world). Believe it or not, until I moved down south for a year I had never even heard of Happy Hour! It's not only good for business, but it is also very economical to those of us trying to live frugally. I really don't think that encourages binge drinking like a later closing time would.

Just typical Boston elitism...
Not really sure how "typical Boston elitism" fits into we we don't offer Happy Hour up here.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Not really sure how "typical Boston elitism" fits into we we don't offer Happy Hour up here.
That he would push for a later last call which would largely benefit (in his own words) the "young professional crowd" ie. yuppie a-holes and spoiled college brats, yet no talk of a Happy Hour (something that would be enjoyed my many more).

Old 03-09-2014, 08:04 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
Quote:
That he would push for a later last call which would largely benefit (in his own words) the "young professional crowd" ie. yuppie a-holes and spoiled college brats, yet no talk of a Happy Hour (something that would be enjoyed my many more).

The young professional crowd in transit to the Pine Street Inn. Hope there are enough beds. Maybe the Betty Ford clinic if Mommy and Daddy pay for it.

And everyone complains that other countries are passing America by. Small wonder.

Bet it won't be those international students stumbling in the streets at 4am.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Happy hours would actually be a way better idea for everyone, practically. In other cities, you can get like a $5 dinner and $2 drinks every night of the week if you know where to look...

Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The young professional crowd in transit to the Pine Street Inn. Hope there are enough beds. Maybe the Betty Ford clinic if Mommy and Daddy pay for it.

And everyone complains that other countries are passing America by. Small wonder.

Bet it won't be those international students stumbling in the streets at 4am.
I don't recall seeing a lot of Pine Street Inn residents buying $11 drinks at Faneuil Hall.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Happy hours would actually be a way better idea for everyone, practically. In other cities, you can get like a $5 dinner and $2 drinks every night of the week if you know where to look...
Yes, during the happy days of happy hours, the discounts were on wings or nachos rather than on the alcohol. People were not drinking on an empty belly. Happy hour happened at 5pm, so geared more to young professionals than college students. Wind down after work, most had a drink or two, then went back to where they came. Some stayed for dinner afterwards.

Actually would make more revenue for the restaurant and entertainment districts better than the out all night plan due to captive audience coming out of office buildings en route to the burbs.

Only the people who are already living in those Boston neighborhoods are going to be out at 4am. Due to the public transportation and parking issues, people living outside Boston will not come in for those late nights. Leaving only the college crowd.

Professional crowd has more $$$ to spend than college students so happy hour is a better revenue generator.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I don't recall seeing a lot of Pine Street Inn residents buying $11 drinks at Faneuil Hall.
The new ones soon will not be buying any either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston