Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,443 times

Advertisements

Eastie isnt awful. It certainly isnt Newton. Lower your standards and you will not find it a complete horror show. It's isolated sure but Boston is small. Yeah you have to pay the toll, if thats a serious concern, move to the midwest because you wont cut it. At night, I'd be vigilant but not shaking scared. MS-13 has made their way into town and they dont play. For the prices, depending on where exactly you are looking at, it's a tough call. Maverick Sq no. Jeffries Point is OK. "The Heights" is more isolated BUT the views ARE amazing. City skyline view is wonderful. To Bostonians, its "not really" Boston because it is a peninsula and isolated somewhat even though it IS "Boston" just like Southie is "Boston" just like JP, Rozzie, Murdapan etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 06:21 PM

728 posts, read 974,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Rich View Post
To Bostonians, its "not really" Boston because it is a peninsula and isolated somewhat even though it IS "Boston" just like Southie is "Boston" just like JP, Rozzie, Murdapan etc
The people who don't acknowledge all of Bostons neighborhoods are usually people not from the city limits. I've had legitimate arguments with people over Dorchester and Roxbury being part of Boston and not just Metro Boston. Can't make this stuff up.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
The people who don't acknowledge all of Bostons neighborhoods are usually people not from the city limits. I've had legitimate arguments with people over Dorchester and Roxbury being part of Boston and not just Metro Boston. Can't make this stuff up.
People from Dorchester, South Boston, East Boston, W. Roxbury, etc. usually identify with their respective neighborhoods ("I'm from Roslindale"), but will never deny that that is still "Boston".

Yet I have heard others (usually students from elsewhere), who swear up and down that "Boston" is only the Back Bay, Allston-Brighton, etc. Never really understood.

So you are essentially correct.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:07 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,107 times
I lived in eastie for 4 years ( moved to NYC for work)..

I used to work in the airport so it was SUPER convenient. If you work in downtown or backbay ...it is very convenient and fast. I would be in back bay in like 25 min.

Eastie has many "towners" who have lived there all their lives and will never move. It is mostly hispanic ( colombians alot! , el salvador and also mexicans , honduras, italian families and very few yuppies taking over Jeffries Point)

Maverick- can be dicey but it all depends on what you are comfortable with . There is a great mexican food place as this is true all along the main road.

Orient heights is very italian / colombian. Very quiet, homey. Nice beach to read (not swim)
Jeffires point - very nice quiet, views of the harbor and also where i used to live.
Eagle hill - my perception was that its the "rougher side" of eastie .... Houses run down and neglected youth roamingthe streets. This area is also next to Chelsea so there is a some spillover.
Day square- also very diverse and lively.

I loved my time in eastie and also will look for a spot there if i ever move back ( prolly not because is too "white" for my taste) but eastie is what made me a man when I graduated college and showed up at logan witha luggage and a twix bar.
So i have a nostalgic preference for Eastie. Who needs the nort end over priced food when you got THE BEST italian and cheap.

A local once told me your not from eastie until you been there 5 years, so dont get it twisted !

Old 08-09-2014, 06:51 AM

974 posts, read 1,898,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Rich View Post
To Bostonians, its "not really" Boston because it is a peninsula and isolated somewhat even though it IS "Boston" just like Southie is "Boston" just like JP, Rozzie, Murdapan etc
No, to true Bostonians, Eastie is Boston.

It passes the Boston test: traffic is a pain, streets and drivers are annoying, parking is indecipherable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston