Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:15 AM

265 posts, read 402,577 times

Advertisements

Here's a quick primer on me and my wife: we are looking to get the hell out of Florida to a place that isn't hot, and where there are 4 seasons. I've been applying to jobs in a handful of cities around the nation, and Boston is one of them. We need to live somewhere with access to public transportation, and would prefer there to be trees, and a park-like setting, as opposed to any areas that are just asphalt and brick buildings. If I get the job, it will be at Boston University. Pay will be somewhere in the 55k range, single income family. We are 37 and 28 years old with no children, just 2 cats.

Neither of us have ever visited Boston before, so it's very difficult to navigate through walkscore and map apps, to try to figure things out on our own, because Boston is so big compared to some of the other cities I've applied in. All I know is that photos from the Boston area have convinced us it would be a city we could love.

Any advice for us? We just want an affordable neighborhood with some grass and trees that is in reasonable access to the rail(s) that would take me to BU.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 AM

596 posts, read 819,298 times
55k is not a lot for a couple to live on here. You'd have to live farther out to get a one bedroom apartment that you could afford.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:40 AM

2,375 posts, read 1,859,016 times
try roslindale. between the arnold arboretum and forest hills cemetary there is a lot of green space in the neighborhood. also lower prices by boston standards. a 1200 square foot place will run you maybe 2k a month

Old 09-06-2014, 11:35 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
try roslindale. between the arnold arboretum and forest hills cemetary there is a lot of green space in the neighborhood. also lower prices by boston standards. a 1200 square foot place will run you maybe 2k a month

OP will not be able to afford 2K apartment on a 55K salary.

They will need to go farther out where there are small studios or 1 BR around $1200 price range. Maybe Norwood.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:40 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,112,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Come on! 2k for rent when he will be making 55K gross annually for two people? With all the other living expenses, will the two get to eat anything living in that 1200 sf space?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:41 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,463 times
You will need much better salary to be able to afford Boston and like it here. Park-like setting, general COL , heating, car insurance, transportation etc. will cost you lot more than some other places. This is very tough area to break in in lower price range. Maybe you can find something in Quincy, but not sure you can be picky at all in Boston area. It is all about what you can afford here.

I am sceptical if you will be able to find cheap place that fulfills your need for walkability and green space (most expensive combo in general) but try Franklin, Walpole, Norwood and Dedham. These are suburban towns with some sidewalks and downtown areas, safe and more affordable. You will probably still need car to get to train station. That is catch 22 about Boston metro nowadays: you can not afford rents close by, but moving further you might be stretched on transportation costs associated with longer commute.

Good luck!

Last edited by kingeorge; 09-06-2014 at 01:52 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 01:50 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,775,599 times
I haven't kept up with rents in Boston lately but I'd have to say $55k annually is not at all a lot of money in Greater Boston. I've never been to Florida before but I know people who have lived there and all tell me outside of the rich touristy places, Boston is far more expensive than anywhere else in Florida. You and your spouse might have to resort to living with roommates and splitting rent if you opt for the better towns and neighborhoods such as Brighton, Cambridge, or Jamaica Plain.

If you really want your own apartment but don't mind risking some not so safe neighborhoods, then Roxbury and parts of Dorchester may be affordable and convenient enough for you. Both are close to Franklin Park, the tail end of Olmsted's Emerald Necklace and has some public transportation though IMO chronically inadequate service (a lot of people ride public transit in those neighborhoods and vehicles frequently get crowded).

I don't know the pricing in Watertown but that may be a safer bet. The Charles River does run through Watertown and it does have some greenery along the river.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:13 PM

596 posts, read 819,298 times
55k/mo would be spend about 1k/mo on rent. That's not a lot here.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:47 PM

265 posts, read 402,577 times
Well thanks for responding, everyone. While this is very depressing, I appreciate the candor in your answers.

So Boston is not for poor people like me. That sucks. I thought we would have to live in a small studio apartment, but that it was at least possible to live there at all. I didn't realize the COL for Boston is higher than Los Angeles!! I've also been looking to move there, and already did tons of research, and found out it was very feasible. So this is a shocker to me.

Wow. We get by on a meager $42k here in Tampa! And that's with 2 car payments! I guess it's best to have found out now, before wasting any time on that path.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:05 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Have the wife get a job. Problem solved.

Honestly, you can do 55k, it just won't be luxurious. I don't know why everyone is talking like it's some completely unreasonable thing. More money is better, yeah, but I know more than one married couple here without kids that get by just fine. They just have roommates (me, actually).

That being said, your money does go a lot further in other cities. Maybe somewhere like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, or Cleveland would be more your style. I can understand hating Florida.

I'd also recommend visiting a place for a while before moving anywhere. Pictures published in guide books and on websites are usually going to be flattering, but they really don't tell you much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston