Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 05:12 PM

27 posts, read 39,387 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Haverhill. Family of six (adults, 14, 8, 7, and 1). We're not happy in Haverhill as we find it low class and the population isn't motivated to do much of anything with their lives (for the most part).

We want to move into the city. I'll take Boston Public Schools over Haverhill Public Schools any given day of the week. We can deal with parking, traffic, congestion, and what have you.

Our budget tops out at $2000/month for rent (not including utilities) and we will need a 3 bedroom, square footage isn't an issue, we can downsize, and are willing to sacrifice space for the activity of the city.

We still have some research and some exploring to do, but we're looking at West Roxbury, Roslindale, JP, or Dorchester (Savin Hill and Ashmont were recommended), possibly Southie or Charlestown.

Are we being realistic? Wanting to find an area where crime isn't rampant and we can raise a family with some peace of mind and enjoy the amenities that the city has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 05:17 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
Is paying a high rent month after month, in lieu of saving to invest in a place to call your own, really what you want to do?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:20 PM

27 posts, read 39,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Is paying a high rent month after month, in lieu of saving to invest in a place to call your own, really what you want to do?
We're a little torn on that. We understand it's the opposite of an investment, but we REALLY want the activity of the city and all it has to offer. I need to be close to Boston in order to advance my career and move things along.

As far as suburbs go, we're also considering Beverly, Quincy, and Braintree. We aren't in a place financially to buy, not for a few years at the very least.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:12 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
Aren't you the same poster seeking a blue collar town on the Massachusetts thread who moved from Topsfield to Haverhill? Now it seems you want a more urbane experience. I'm having a hard time following what you are looking for exactly.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:16 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,463 times
You are not realistic about Boston, its schools, and safety. You need more rent budget for that. Boston is also not particularly kid friendly place. Mostly it caters to millions of students, trust fund babies, with some minorities and low income residents areas. There are very few amenities that any big family would be able to afford, and enjoy in Boston these days. COL is no joke.

Family with four kids will not be allowed into small three bedroom (if you can find one), and then you have lead issues as well. Kids are bused to schools all over the place, because of the lottery system, and there will be no neighborhood feel you seem to be looking for.

Rent in Quincy. Or as previously suggested check out Watertown, Beverly, or Waltham. All four offer sidewalks, shops, public transportation options, with better safety, and better schools. There is no reason to zoom only on Boston. Plenty of towns in an immediate vicinity could offer you better amenities in general. Schools and neighborhood safety should be your top priorities considering your family situation.

Last edited by kingeorge; 01-22-2015 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 02:12 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,112,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
You are not realistic about Boston, its schools, and safety. You need more rent budget for that. Boston is also not particularly kid friendly place. Mostly it caters to millions of students, trust fund babies, with some minorities and low income residents areas. There are very few amenities that any big family would be able to afford, and enjoy in Boston these days. COL is no joke.

Family with four kids will not be allowed into small three bedroom (if you can find one), and then you have lead issues as well. Kids are bused to schools all over the place, because of the lottery system, and there will be no neighborhood feel you seem to be looking for.

Rent in Quincy. Or as previously suggested check out Watertown, Beverly, or Waltham. All four offer sidewalks, shops, public transportation options, with better safety, and better schools. There is no reason to zoom only on Boston. Plenty of towns in an immediate vicinity could offer you better amenities in general. Schools and neighborhood safety should be your top priorities considering your family situation.
Can't do Quincy on max $2000 a month with a 3 bedroom either. A one bedroom is already around $1400-1800 in most parts of the city. The new condo complex that is finishing up near the NQ T station has two bedroom two baths condos starting at $380,000. Sale only and no rentals.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:01 AM

316 posts, read 724,640 times
I don't think you're being realistic or that you're considering a whole slew of factors that, given the constraints of your budget and your prior experiences in Haverhill, could make Boston just as troubling for you as where you are now.

That being said, after a quick check of a couple of sites that post rentals in the Boston area, I did find, for just over $2K, a 3 bedroom apartment in Watertown that looked nice and a 3 bedroom cottage in Wayland, a town west of Boston that is safe, family-oriented, very pretty and known for its schools. I'd look into that or seek out something like it if I were you. While rentals out there in your price range would be few and far between, they do come up very, very occasionally, especially in the more modest, older and smaller homes around the village of Cochituate, a section of Wayland that is relatively down-to-earth, walkable for simple, everyday errands and friendly. You'd be within easier distance of Boston than you are now, and you'd have shopping and dining amenities galore in adjoining Natick and Framingham, which would also be better for you location-wise than Haverhill in my opinion and may offer housing options for you if you were lucky enough to find a good deal.

Last edited by professeurpablo; 01-23-2015 at 04:12 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 08:22 AM

7 posts, read 10,471 times
I agree. I don't think that you'll be happy with your rental options at that budget. I read recently that the city wants developers in the areas you mentioned to price 2-3 bed apartments at $2500, and they can't get close to that.

If you want something more urban, I'd suggest some of the towns on on the T. I think you'll find better rental options in your budget, and have more control over where your kids go to school. Quincy, Malden, and Revere (check out West Revere, near the beach) sound like better matches for what you're asking for.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times
Once again Hyde Park? you might be able to find something for that price in the Fairmount/Readville area.

I'm curious as to what you find low class about Haverhill? Moving 4 kids at the ages you mentioned to the city sounds like it would be quite a task. You're unlikely to find much in West Roxbury, Roslindale, JP, southie or charlestown with your budget.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:40 PM

316 posts, read 724,640 times
I second the suggestion of Malden - great place, but it has its issues too, like any place. Some of the poverty and "down on luck" aspects of Haverhill could easily be found in Malden or in other places around Boston too, so I hesitated to suggest it for that reason. That said, it's close to Boston, has neighborhood schools and a ton of diversity and cultural vibrancy. The school system is much less unwieldy than Boston too - most kids walk to their own neighborhood school in Malden, and there is no crazy lottery process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston