Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:50 AM

8 posts, read 32,687 times

Advertisements

Another thread about moving to Columbia! We currently live in Texas-the flat, dry part and are considering moving to Columbia. My question is-Am I being realistic about the move? We have visited several times and love the history and character of the city. It is HOT, but the plant life is amazing and the old homes captivate me. Unfortunately-they are very expensive-but still inspiring. The recurring theme in my thought process is that I want to spend time with my middle school daughter learning to kayak, taking day trips to historic sites, learning and exploring. Most anything but her growing up with the idea that weekend entertainment means going to the mall! I definately have the energy to explore, but is the kayaking good there? Does it have a large following there-or am I unrealistic about the life style. We had visited schools there last May(the private ones), then I chickened out about the move. I have read the threads regarding private vs public and have pretty much decided public might be the best fit. I have experienced private and think I am pretty realistic about that. I am a mom with a middle schooler who loves the outdoors. My profession has been in public accounting (I am a CPA), but would love to get out of that crazy race and practice in the private arena. I am not a new development kind of person, but have a limited budget. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 11:15 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,592,997 times
I think you're dream is nice and I think it can be accomplished. Columbia is a city of neighborhoods and there are some beautiful old neighborhoods in town. A far as kayaking, it isn't a sport I'm into, but there are 3 rivers here and on one of the rivers lie significant rapids, just on the edge of downtown Columbia. I have noticed people kayaking there a number of times.

Here is a link to my website of Columbia photos and I've posted some photos of the rapids below that. If you want less excitement in your kayak then there are placid parts of the rivers, too.

Waccamatt's page |

Old 04-18-2008, 11:44 AM

Waccamatt-Your pictures are wonderful-is that the Congaree(sp)? I have never seen it like that. Did I mention that we would be Learning to kayak? Currently the only place we have accomplished is the sleepy part of the Guadalupe-where you can usually get out and turn around if your headed the wrong way. That would definately give us a goal to aim for. Thanks for the info-Hope my plan doesn't sound too dream like. Went to your website yesterday-you have some great photos there!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:02 PM

583 posts, read 2,636,846 times
waccamatt--you are such a show off!! kidding, you pictures are great and made me miss me home!

looking4water--we just did the SC to TX move. SC is a groovy but quirky little state. It has charm and things that made me bonkers--like blue laws! Good luck with you city and home search.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:19 PM

Thanks Scyogi-Where in Tx did you move-How do you like it?

Old 04-18-2008, 03:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,592,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
waccamatt--you are such a show off!! kidding, you pictures are great and made me miss me home!

looking4water--we just did the SC to TX move. SC is a groovy but quirky little state. It has charm and things that made me bonkers--like blue laws! Good luck with you city and home search.

The blue laws are gone in Columbia as of a couple of weeks ago. The only thing left to change is that liquor stores are closed at 7 on most days and all day on sundays. You can buy beer and wine in grocery stores, though.

The question about the river: Those pictures are of the Saluda River near Riverbanks Zoo after a rain - they aren't usually that rough, but they're beautifule (from afar) when they're rough like that.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:34 PM

We moved to N.Dallas--Mckinney area. I like it. People in TX are really friendly and I think Dallas/Ft. Worth gets a bad rap for being snotty. It is nice to be back in a bigger town. I didn't miss shopping in SC until I had to have a outfit for a special occasion and then you had to really hunt for one! I was in a smaller town though. We moved from a town about 50 minutes away from Columbia called Aiken,SC. It is worth a day trip if you make the move. Lots of really great spots in that state :Charelston is a really amazing place to spend with your daughter. Last year my daughter and I spent the weekend alone there and had just such a great time. Beaufort is charming--another coastal spot. Greenville and the upstate is also really pretty to visit in the fall, not a far drive to Asheville. The thing I will say about a long distant move is, even with just a short plane ride it is hard to be this far from family. It is 1000 plus miles and that became very apparent when I got here and REALLY realized there were no more weekend trips home. Just something to consider if you have family in the TX area.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:57 PM

293 posts, read 827,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4water View Post
Waccamatt-Your pictures are wonderful-is that the Congaree(sp)? I have never seen it like that. Did I mention that we would be Learning to kayak? Currently the only place we have accomplished is the sleepy part of the Guadalupe-where you can usually get out and turn around if your headed the wrong way. That would definately give us a goal to aim for. Thanks for the info-Hope my plan doesn't sound too dream like. Went to your website yesterday-you have some great photos there!

i gave these links to another person on city-data about kayaking... I hope this helps

Here's a link to Saluda Shoals Park

Irmo Chapin Recreation Commission (http://www.icrc.net/SaludaShoals/ActivitiesSSP.aspx - broken link)

this is a site called carolina adventure...

River Trips (http://www.adventurecarolina.com/River_Trips.html - broken link)

Also lake murray [Dreher Island State park] isn't far from Columbia and it's nice to go to.

Lake Murray SC - Where the fun begins!

The Congaree National Park is about 20mile to the south of the city and it's wonderful for outdoor hiking, birdwatching and etc....

Congaree National Park - Photos & Multimedia (U.S. National Park Service)

The key thing is that South Carolina is a small state [waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smaller the Texas of course]and with Columbia being in the middle....it's convenient to get anywhere in the state quickly.

I hope that helps....

Last edited by CarolinaSouth803; 04-18-2008 at 06:32 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 PM

Thanks all!!! I will definately go to the links! It's a big decision-put the house on the market last week-not the best time for that-If it sells-we are going to try it.

scyogi-My family actually lives in Ft Worth-we will be far from them-they say they will come visit-I hope so. My best friend from childhood used to live in McKinney-it had a charming square downtown. Is it still there? -the MetroPlex has grown right into it. What about all those strip malls?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:18 AM

yes...still a downtown square, currently it is going under a facelift but it is looking really good. tons of strip malls EVERYWHERE in this part of Dallas. They are also really popular in SC. Personally, I like the new outdoor type malls--strip mall concept but filled with stores you normally see at the mall and most of the time it looks like a vintage town. American Airlines has been running some preety going flights between DFW and Columbia (CAE-is the airport code). We have seen flights for less than $175 round trip!Let me know if you have any questions, I will be happy to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area