Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:40 PM

26 posts, read 81,638 times

Advertisements

You should also try the Columbia City site, there is a link for the events in the Vista area of Columbia. Also try the Congaree Park they are doing a lot of upgrades in it for family hiking and out door events. I grew up outdoors and SC has been a great state for quaint ourdoor experiences. The state is full of State Parks just try the SC State park website and see if there is anything on Sugarloaf Mountain. There is also a super state park at the beach. If you are looking for nature perhaps you should move near a park you like. Columbia is pretty much the center of SC so no matter where you move you won't be more than about 2 hours away and any town you find interesting is sure to have a historical start. SC is full of history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 08:29 AM

8 posts, read 32,670 times
aggienanoo-Thank you for the info. I love the fact that Columbia seems to be close to many things-mountains on one side, beach on another and water close by! Really I guess we are just going to see if our house sells-then do we want to rent a few months or buy? Looks like most rental housing there is for college students-from online anyway. We have an 80lb Golden-so apartments are out!
Which state park at the beach are you talking about? Last May we went to Edisto, rode bikes thru that State park-it was great. Actually, we rode our bikes everywhere while there. I do not know if that area is considered popular with locals, but most of the people we met on the beach were from somewhere w/in the state.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 AM

221 posts, read 1,033,045 times
Columbia has its fair share of water ways, but there are other areas to the north west that have more interesting rapids. I'm sure if you're a beginner, the waters around Columbia would be perfect to learn on, but you might like to take a day trip to Blue Ridge Mountains around the NC/SC border. The French Broad there is very popular for white water rafting trips. The Chatuga on the GA/SC border is also popular. These places would be 3-4 hours from Columbia.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:18 PM

14 posts, read 55,877 times
Anyone moving to SC needs to look at the graduation rate of the public schools - only approx 50% of the children graduate in SC. Go to Education Week American Education News Site of Record and check out the "Diploma Counts" program by the Gates Foundation. Also, look at the "Corridor of Shame" Reports - just google that and see for yourself.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
While the "corridor of shame" is an embarrassment to South Carolina, it is not located in the Columbia area. The graduation rate is definitely a problem, also, but motivated students don't have a problem with graduating from South Carolina schools. In my opinion, there are two main problems with South Carolina schools - uneven funding for school districts and uninvolved parents who take no interest in their child's education and future. My solution for the first is that funding be pooled for the entire state and doled out based on the number of students in an are or the current districts. There are also way too many school districts in the state wasting money on duplicated offices and supervision. The concept of "wealthy" school districts and "poor" school districts needs to be a thing of the past.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:17 AM

There's definitely no problem of graduation among motiviated students. My wife and I are both gradutes of Public SC highschools. In my time the only people I saw drop out were people who got pregnant, or were more worried about making $6 an hour working at the local gas station. Anybody who wanted to graduate could have.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocacy4kids View Post
Anyone moving to SC needs to look at the graduation rate of the public schools - only approx 50% of the children graduate in SC. Go to Education Week American Education News Site of Record and check out the "Diploma Counts" program by the Gates Foundation.
The numbers I found are much closer to 60% (59.7% for 02-03 school year), which is close to GA and NC. This report also talks about how other states overstate their graduation rate:

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2006/2006601.pdf

As is the case with alot of things, there's more to the story than just the numbers.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,506 times
We live in Lexington, SC and my kids love the schools. Check out

[URL]http://www.greatschools.net/[/URL]

and compare the schools in our area. There are also posts from parents if you want more information.

Last edited by colamomof2; 05-09-2008 at 10:22 PM..

Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
There was an article in today's newspaper about kayaking that I thought was relevant to this thread.

The State | 05/12/2008 | Mother's Day: Kayaking with Mom (broken link)

Old 05-12-2008, 11:46 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
I think that a lot of the graduation rates are for students that graduate in four years. SC's students have quite a bit of credits to attain to qualify for graduation, which helps to explain that low figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area