Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 826 times

Advertisements

I was assigned for an internship at Carney Hospital in Dorchester.. I commute to Boston/Charlestown already from Prov and I'm not all that familiar with the cities around Boston. I know Dorchester has some bad parts but as a female should I be scared to take the red line to Ashmont and walk to Carney? HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:45 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,697,958 times
Check with the hospital Boston for most is not so bad. However, it may depend on hours you work so ask the hospital

Old 05-20-2015, 03:38 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
No.
The hospital is within easy walking distance from Ashmont Station, and both places front on busy Dorchester Ave. There is a constant police presence at the station. And the hospital may well provide a shuttle despite how close by it is.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:34 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Just consider how long your commute from Providence is and ask yourself if you really want to add a layer of complexity to an already exceptionally long commute.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:09 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times
It's actually not all that close of a walk from ashmont. It's doable...but it's not right next door. As long as it's a 9 to 5 type deal you should be fine. I'd try and find someone else to walk with.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:11 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Carney Hospital is in a safe part of Dorchester (Lower Mills) and you should have no problem during the daytime and even the evening. Dorchester is a mostly residential neighborhood and streets can become quiet late at night. Carney is actually quite a long walk from Ashmont Station however. It may be a better option to jump on a feeder bus such as the #27, #217, or #240 that leaves from Ashmont and stops in front of the hospital. The #21 and #215 also stop several blocks up from the hospital though you'd have to cross busy Gallivan Blvd. The only word of warning is commuting to/from Ashmont during midday, say around 2-3pm when a whole bunch of middle and high school students get out of school. Many love congregating around the station and some let off their foul mouths from time to time so avoid traveling during these hours if you do get intimidated by rowdy adolescents.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:18 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
You good shawty. Lol sounds like a nice internship. Middle of the road area..Dunks is right across the street from ashmont and that should brighten your commute. Just get out of the area by like 9pm..ashmont can get a lil Sketchy for an outsider after that.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:04 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Actually, the renovated Ashmont station is pleasant but as said, some of the congregants can be iffy at times.

But the block next to the station has a nice restaurant called Tavalo, and I think a nice coffee shop and bank. Plus a convenience store (Tedeschi) and the hip Ashmont Grille are two minutes by foot. It's not so ghetto anymore. Plus someone already mentioned Dunkin Donuts across the street. Some very nice streets are in back of the station, along with some okay/iffy streets across from the entrance...but all fine in daylight and early evening if pedestrians around.

A cab stand is right in front if it's bitterly cold -- maybe $5-$6 for the ride.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:57 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Actually, the renovated Ashmont station is pleasant but as said, some of the congregants can be iffy at times.

But the block next to the station has a nice restaurant called Tavalo, and I think a nice coffee shop and bank. Plus a convenience store (Tedeschi) and the hip Ashmont Grille are two minutes by foot. It's not so ghetto anymore. Plus someone already mentioned Dunkin Donuts across the street. Some very nice streets are in back of the station, along with some okay/iffy streets across from the entrance...but all fine in daylight and early evening if pedestrians around.

A cab stand is right in front if it's bitterly cold -- maybe $5-$6 for the ride.
All of this is true but I did witness a foot chase between a guy and the police from the Charlie ticket machine to Ashmont Tire two years ago in broad daylight (probably just fare evasion)...two women fighting last summer around 7pm and then an hour after I left The station one day this past August there was a shooting/stabbing. Gotta love dorchester But OP please kinda just ignore what I said...I really think youll be fine just be careful ad it gets dark. Ashmont is definitely improved and where your headed that direction is very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: