Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:22 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKterps123 View Post
Thanks Flowbe...some very good advice. That was another concern of mine...changing over my registration etc for parking reasons. Its a total pain in the ass considering I don't necessarily have a timetable on how long I will or want to live up there so that is definitely a factor. My sister has somehow gotten away with living in San Diego for 3+ years with Maryland tags lol...but parking is definitely a lot easier out there.
Massachusetts has a personal property tax on cars known as the excise tax. By not registering your car here you essentially become a tax cheat. If you are an MA resident, you need to register your car here, parking issue aside. Would you be the only one who breaks this law? Probably not. Also remember your auto insurance company could deny claims if you've been lying about your address.

Quote:
I guess the general consensus is to stick to some of the western parts of the city like Cambridge and try to find a steal on the parking/rent etc although on the weekends getting downtown might take a bit longer. As far as crime etc. I know it is almost negligible to Baltimore but where does Cambridge/Somerville compare to other parts of Boston?
Cambridge and Somerville are safe but there are pockets of homelessness which can cause quality of life issues in certain areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 02:14 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Cambridge and Somerville are safe but there are pockets of homelessness which can cause quality of life issues in certain areas.
Oh come on, QOL issues? You mean the inconvenience of not being able to sit on bench where someone may be napping? Or maybe having to say "not today" to the guy selling a Spare Change newspaper? And if you are really lazy, yea the MBTA elevators smell bad.

Listen - the OP can either move to Somerville, or move somewhere else for a year and then realize he wants to move to Somerville

Old 09-22-2015, 02:54 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Allston gets old really fast. Way too many undergrads, dirty, and famous for rats and bedbugs, as well as landlords who couldn't care less about you. Avoid.

I live in the Brighton center/oak square area, about a mile and a half from Allston, so I can visit when I want. I wouldn't say my area is particularly "young" but there are two public libraries, a YMCA, some bars (green briar, devlins, porter Bella's, corrib pub, Irish villag, last drop), Brighton common (small, but pleasant) and some decent restaurants (esperia grille for Greek food and Bangkok bistro for Thai, Jims deli is great, and there are some good cafes, like athans and cafe nation. and I'm a 5 minute walk from the Charles. It's the most affordable / biggest bang for your buck in the city. I share a house with roommates for under 600 a person.

But if you're looking for a more hoppin, younger vibe, I'd suggest Davis square in Somerville. Haven't lived there, but it's a fun area and my friends who live there really enjoy it. Beware the rising rents, however.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 PM

974 posts, read 1,897,554 times
Only problem with Brighton is the commute.

I hate the Watertown/Newton exit if OP would commute on 90/128.

OP could take side roads to Storrow and do Fresh Pond to 2. IDK.

OP is making decent salary the pay-off for living in Somerville with a more direct commute might be worth it.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 4,226 times
Good deal. Thanks everyone for all of the input...much appreciated! I am going to check out all of these areas when I start looking for places.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:09 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Somerville is sorta like Baltimore in my mind...
Somerville does not have a homicide every day, nor does it have an endless sea of abandoned rowhouses. Baltimore also has nothing that can compete with Davis Square. The worst parts of Springfield or Hartford are like Baltimore in my mind.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:26 PM

974 posts, read 1,897,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Somerville does not have a homicide every day, nor does it have an endless sea of abandoned rowhouses. Baltimore also has nothing that can compete with Davis Square. The worst parts of Springfield or Hartford are like Baltimore in my mind.
Not even Baltimore is all bad.

But, as my post said, the dense and quirky parts of Baltimore are like Somerville. No, not Davis, rather old school Somerville and its love for all things vinyl siding, grape arbors over the driveway and BVMs in a bathtub.

Sorry I didn't clarify "not the stabby and druggy" parts of Baltimore.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:29 PM

690 posts, read 1,006,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Not even Baltimore is all bad.

But, as my post said, the dense and quirky parts of Baltimore are like Somerville. No, not Davis, rather old school Somerville and its love for all things vinyl siding, grape arbors over the driveway and BVMs in a bathtub.

Sorry I didn't clarify "not the stabby and druggy" parts of Baltimore.
Thank you^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston