Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 06:49 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,207 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My friend and I are going to a concert at Fenway in July. We were thinking of making it a whole girls day, and spend the day in Boston, and get a hotel for the night. I was thinking of parking at Riverside and just getting a hotel in Boston.

That was until I realized how expensive Boston hotels are! I want to at least book it now, so it's reserved! It's just basically going to be a place to unwind/relax. Don't want to spend too much! I know there is one hotel right by Riverside station. However, I was hoping for one a little further inbound. Ideally, close to Fenway. However, upon a quick google search they are all over $200 a night!

In the past I've never spent more than I think $110 on a hotel. Just been more rural areas, so the price wasn't as high! Usually when I travel it's w/ my hubby and we stay at La Quinta. However, the LQ in Boston way out of my price range!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 12:05 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Maybe Hotel Boston on Commonwealth Ave. between BC and BU on the green line. It's the former Best Western. Not at all modern...and the internet says it's a TWO star facility.

Or Envision near JP and Mission Hill. It's at the end of the E line before the 39 bus takes over service into JP. Newish renovation and likely much nicer than Hotel Boston.

Fenway Inn is a former youth hostel. Doesn't look fancy but it should be very $$$$ due to location for the concert.

Of course, Midtown Hotel is more like a motel, but good location. Could be $$$.

Longwood Inn and Beechtree Inn are in great Brookline locations. Not sure if you wish to stay in a small guesthouse, though.

The Inn at Longwood is a former Best Western in a great local for the concert, but I'm sure it'll be $$$.

Perhaps Best Western Roundhouse Suites and the adjacent Hampton Inn. Disturbing location for many, even kind of scary due to homeless and clinics but many stay without incident, and they have a hotel shuttle. Many hospital patients' families stay at Hampton Inn and take their shuttle bus to the Longwood area to visit.

Holiday Inn near the South Bay Mall is less than ten minutes to the Andrew red line subway. Not fancy but maybe worth a look, or the Courtyard Marriott next door. Free parking at Courtyard, perhaps.

But, even these suggestions may be well over $200 ($300!) when a Fenway concert is scheduled.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:29 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Boston Fenway Inn is what you're looking for if you are concerned with price. The communal bathrooms remind me of a college dorm.

PS - On the other end of the spectrum, I don't think I've ever spent under $200 on a hotel since I "grew up". It's more like $300/night in most cities I travel to, but then again I typically don't travel to rural areas unless I'm staying in a resort.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Maybe Hotel Boston on Commonwealth Ave. between BC and BU on the green line. It's the former Best Western. Not at all modern...and the internet says it's a TWO star facility.

Or Envision near JP and Mission Hill. It's at the end of the E line before the 39 bus takes over service into JP. Newish renovation and likely much nicer than Hotel Boston.

Fenway Inn is a former youth hostel. Doesn't look fancy but it should be very $$$$ due to location for the concert.

Longwood Inn and Beechtree Inn are in great Brookline locations. Not sure if you wish to stay in a small guesthouse, though.

The Inn at Longwood is a former Best Western in a great local for the concert, but I'm sure it'll be $$$.

Perhaps Best Western Roundhouse Suites and the adjacent Hampton Inn. Disturbing location for many, even kind of scary due to homeless and clinics but many stay without incident, and they have a hotel shuttle. Many hospital patients' families stay at Hampton Inn and take their shuttle bus to the Longwood area to visit.

Holiday Inn near the South Bay Mall is less than ten minutes to the Andrew red line subway. Not fancy but maybe worth a look, or the Courtyard Marriott next door. Free parking at Courtyard, perhaps.

But, even these suggestions may be well over $200 ($300!) when a Fenway concert is scheduled.
Wow, thanks for all the suggestion! I will look into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Boston Fenway Inn is what you're looking for if you are concerned with price. The communal bathrooms remind me of a college dorm.

PS - On the other end of the spectrum, I don't think I've ever spent under $200 on a hotel since I "grew up". It's more like $300/night in most cities I travel to, but then again I typically don't travel to rural areas unless I'm staying in a resort.
Boston Fenway is a good way to save money, but yeah I would rather spend more money

It does look like a college dorm! I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to hotel rooms. (Typically stay at LQ's for under $100) However, that is even too low maintenance for me! I do at least want my own bathroom. Just as long as it has good ratings, and a safe area I'm fine with it. I never stayed at a hotel that had someone bring up my luggage, mints on pillows, or turn down service, etc. Just a room to stay for the night. However, that would be a nice thing to experience sometime. Maybe one day!

Old 11-20-2016, 08:52 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Try an express deal on Priceline or try Hotwire. It's early for the deals to be great, but you may still find something. Anything 3-stars or better in back bay or Fenway would be ideal.

Edit- quick check shows that you can get a few hotels in Boston's seaport district (not near Fenway) for $150-160. There's a 3.5 star in Newton for $111. Theres also a 2.5 star in Copley Square for $156 (great location- la Quinta equivalent star rating)- it's probably the Midtown which is fine for a night. checked July 8 which is the NKOTB concert (only one at Fenway I've heard of at this point), but I imagine you'd find similar rates through the month.

Last edited by lrfox; 11-20-2016 at 09:01 AM..

Old 11-20-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Try an express deal on Priceline or try Hotwire. It's early for the deals to be great, but you may still find something. Anything 3-stars or better in back bay or Fenway would be ideal.

Edit- quick check shows that you can get a few hotels in Boston's seaport district (not near Fenway) for $150-160. There's a 3.5 star in Newton for $111. Theres also a 2.5 star in Copley Square for $156 (great location- la Quinta equivalent star rating)- it's probably the Midtown which is fine for a night. checked July 8 which is the NKOTB concert (only one at Fenway I've heard of at this point), but I imagine you'd find similar rates through the month.

That is the concert I am going to! Bought my tickets yesterday. I'll check out the seaport district. As long as I can get there by the T, and w/in reasonable walking distant I am fine w/ it!

Old 11-21-2016, 01:10 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
^Great! The Seaport district isn't a bad spot. You can get there by T (Silverline, Red Line, or even on foot from South Station depending on where the hotel is) or by uber/lyft/taxi at a reasonable fare.

The catch with Priceline and Hotwire is that you don't get to see the name of the hotel until after you pay. You get a star-rating, some of the amenities, and a general area (i.e. Copley Square). In a city like Boston (or New York, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, etc.) it's great because the cities are so dense and walkable that almost any central neighborhood is good so it doesn't matter which specific hotel it's in. I'm pretty certain that $156 dollar 2.5 star hotel in the Copley Square area is the Midtown Hotel. Looking at the map of what Priceline calls "Back Bay- Copley Square," it's the only "2.5" star hotel there. There's a slight chance it's Hotel Buckminster or The Charlesmark, but I'm 95% certain it's the Midtown. It's not the greatest hotel in the world, but the location is great (you could walk to Fenway if you wanted), it's comfortable, and it's not in an unsafe spot. If I was looking to spend less than $200 and only there for a night, I'd take it.

It looks like you'll get slightly better room type in the Seaport, but you'll be further from Fenway. Again, your call, but I'd definitely go with Copley/Back Bay.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:55 AM

576 posts, read 568,223 times
You're probably a bit early to get really good rates. But Boston Hotels in the summer are pretty expensive. Keep in mind there is good transportation, so you don't have to stay right on the green line.

Maybe try one of the airport hotels. Take the blue line in to Government Center.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:46 AM

1,180 posts, read 777,227 times
Quote:

Stop in for some Cane's Chicken!

It's the only one on the East Coast, or at least the Northeast/New England.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:49 AM

1,180 posts, read 777,227 times
Quote:

If you go down Southampton St. Right at Melnea Cass. There are also TWO hotels there. One is a Best Western. The other is a "Roundhouse" or "Roundtree." Actually, that one may be "Roundtree by Best Western." The OTHER is a Hampton Inn, if I recall correctly?

I would ask OP if they can look just outside of Boston, perhaps for some lower nightly rents.

I know someone that stayed in Andover this weekend. (Granted, they were driving...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston