Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,741 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Milwaukee,WI to a new job at Lahey Clinic (Burlington, MA). I need to be within ~30 minutes driving distance of the hospital. I would like to be as close to Boston as possible. If that is not reasonable given my time constraint, then I would like to be in a suburb that is diverse and has a lot of young professionals and suburbs with good public transportations into the city. I am not familiar with the area so I need some help.

I am a young professional, single and have no kids. My work will keep me busy but in my free time I would like to explore the city and make new friends along the way.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 06:24 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,121,919 times
Check into Waltham

Old 01-05-2018, 06:34 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Medford is another option.

If you do decide to live in Medford or Somerville (which are both basically neighborhoods of Boston, it's just that Boston only annexed the southern ones) the afternoon commute could be an issue. Although if you get Waze and learn the back-roads you should be fine.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:39 AM

349 posts, read 321,233 times
Somerville is conveniently located and has a high density of young professionals. Cambridge as well. These two cities actually have a higher population density than Boston itself.

Arlington and Waltham are nice, but a little more car-centric and less prevalence of single young professionals.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:25 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Somerville is the place to be

But what is your budget?

Old 01-05-2018, 08:57 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Depending on budget, I'd go Cambridge without any hesitation.

Best cities for millennials 2016 - Business Insider

You could argue that it's better than Boston, as this list would suggest, for "millennials". Good live music venues, good beer scene, a number of different little downtown areas, waterfront. It's not nearly as congested as Boston, either, which bodes well for a night out or for your commute.

Some areas are very high density, while others are more neighborhood in feel. Porter square is probably the cheaper price p/sqft and would provide the easiest commute via 2 to 95. It has the red line, so you can head right into the city on weekends. Porter Square has the conveniences you need within walking distance, but certainly is not a nightlife hotspot. That said, you're within striking distance to Davis Square, Harvard Square, Union Square, Central Square, and Kendall is easily accessible with it's modern amenities and offerings around MIT.

Mass Ave heading south towards Harvard has some nice neighborhood bars, coffee shops, etc. To me, somewhere west of Mass Ave between Porter and Harvard would be my choice. Street parking is fairly easy in the area, and again, you head right up Mass Ave. to route 2 in order to get to Burlington. Some days, it will take less than 30 minutes. Other days, it may take 40 minutes. It's worth it.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:55 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
If you want to live in an urban environment and your budget affords it, I vote Cambridge and Somerville as #2. You'll need a car to get to Lahey and a car in either Cambridge or Somerville is a PITA.

Welcome and best of luck.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:55 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean..._M43089-73298#

Another option in Cambridge, if Porter doesn't pan out, is closer to Central on the other side of Harvard Sq on Mass Ave/2A. Central prides itself on being hip and eclectic, but is also a bit more active at night. The example above puts you right between the two.

This will add 10 minutes to your daily commute, but again, it may be worth it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/84...!4d-71.1072893

Old 01-05-2018, 03:41 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Somerville or Cambridge. You might experience some sticker shock, though.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,741 times
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice! More helpful than any search I have done so far.

From my own search, I did come across Somerville and Cambridge as potential options but I am a bit wary of the actual driving distance to Lahey clinic. According to google map, leaving these suburbs anytime past 6:30AM will drastically increase my drive time >30 min.

Medford seems to be an option. Waltham appears to be somewhat out of the way of all the other burbs but still is <30 min drive to Lahey Clinic in the morning.

My upper limit of rental budget including garage parking is about 2K. I am okay with studio apartments if that's all that is feasible in this range.

I will take a closer look at Medford. Any particular neighborhood in Medford that I should look into?

Any other thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts