Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 11:32 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
In Allston you have to watch out for all the ****-drunk dudebros who would gladly bash your head in for looking at them the wrong way and all the (often gun-toting) dope peddlers bringing in their wares. Now, what are you so afraid of in a place like Savin Hill, other than realtors trying to charge you more than $600/sqft in an old triple decker?
In Savin Hill you are isolated, walk 6 blocks too far and things could turn ugly. Sure you don't have to be on much guard walking into you your apartment, but you sure do when running errands in Fields Corner. Just not a peaceful environment if you catch my drift.

The inebriated BC jock dudebros I consider a nuisance over anything else, most of them can't fight to save themselves anyway. The dope peddlers, well I don't do dope so...I'm not saying this to sell anybody on Allston so don't get that idea, it's not an environment I would choose either. Just a very different dynamic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I dated someone who lived in Savin Hill in the late 80s. It was perfectly nice then. Now its probably even better.
Dot Ave. still felt a bit sketchy a few years back, lots of investment property owned by Vietnamese slumlords. Had family who lived in one of those unfortunately. It comes and goes...

Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
What's wrong with Fields Corner? I'm there monthly for shows/events at the Dorchester Arts Project. Just lots of little restaurants (mostly mediocre) but there doesn't seem to be anything off about it.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
What's wrong with Fields Corner? I'm there monthly for shows/events at the Dorchester Arts Project. Just lots of little restaurants (mostly mediocre) but there doesn't seem to be anything off about it.
Always thought the Blarney Stone was quite good IMPO. Used to go to the Emerald Isle all the time for gigs and whatnot. No problem at all there, it's when you spend more time around there and the surrounding neighborhoods/shopping areas. I believe that's by where this most recent kid was shot dead.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:46 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Dorchester homes are also not really more expensive than any suburb with similar housing stock
This just isn’t true.

Quote:
Were literally looking at 6-7 homicides int he past 6 days in a 10 square mile are at that and CD posters will still say 'whatever'.
Don’t act like the last 6 days have been normal for the area. They haven’t.

Quote:
The homicide rate is 8-12x the state average on any given year. 25 homicides a year and 110k people does not equate to safe. This is nonsense.
110k seems a little low. Wikipedia has Dorchester’s population at 130k, and at least one other source has it at 160k. However, even at 160k, 25 homicides in a year is rediculously high, even when compared to other towns in MA with high crime rates like Lawrence and Brockton. I wonder what makes Dorchester so awful in this regard.

My point still stands (@redplum). Of all the homicides in Boston in 2017, none of them happened in Savin Hill, Neponset, Fort Hill, or Mission Hill. Remember, I’m not trying to make the point that all of Roxbury and Dorchester are paradise on Earth, just that the nicer parts of the neighborhoods are no better or worse than other Boston neighborhoods like Hyde Park, Allston, Roslindale, etc.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:47 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Gotcha. I just go in, see the show, get some Vietnamese or whatever and get out.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:02 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Homicide on Vinson Street last night. Across the street from the fields corner station and a plethora of other crimes that happen in FC everyday. Were saying Fields Corner doesnt have real crime issues??? CMONNN. I love Fields Corner for the Vietnamese sandwiches, transit, the park, BosBUrger etc but last year they had soo many shootings.

I was in the immediate are outside for 3 of them. Centre Street..i was working at a school on center street 1t 5pm when it happened at Centre and Dix.

Upland Ave I was walking to the McDonalds from the Shawmut stop once I decided I was hungry I heard gunshots and then saw a dude speed up park street on a scooter 20 seconds later

...and Bourneside street I was in the Town Field with friends around 945 pm when shots rung out and police stormed the scene. That was all in Oct/Nov of 2017.

Now last night a homicide on Vinson Street.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:22 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The inebriated BC jock dudebros I consider a nuisance over anything else, most of them can't fight to save themselves anyway. The dope peddlers, well I don't do dope so...I'm not saying this to sell anybody on Allston so don't get that idea, it's not an environment I would choose either. Just a very different dynamic.
I would gladly put up my dukes and throw down with a white hat dude bro any day over getting shot in my car at a red light... Which seems to be the MO in the parts we are talking about.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:35 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
This just isn’t true.

Don’t act like the last 6 days have been normal for the area. They haven’t.

110k seems a little low. Wikipedia has Dorchester’s population at 130k, and at least one other source has it at 160k. However, even at 160k, 25 homicides in a year is rediculously high, even when compared to other towns in MA with high crime rates like Lawrence and Brockton. I wonder what makes Dorchester so awful in this regard.

My point still stands (@redplum). Of all the homicides in Boston in 2017, none of them happened in Savin Hill, Neponset, Fort Hill, or Mission Hill. Remember, I’m not trying to make the point that all of Roxbury and Dorchester are paradise on Earth, just that the nicer parts of the neighborhoods are no better or worse than other Boston neighborhoods like Hyde Park, Allston, Roslindale, etc.
in 2010 it was published by Boston.gov Dorchester had a population of 90k pushing 30k if you use mattapan as well. but as of 2015

Per BPDA "Dorchester had a population of 124,489 in 2015, 19% of Boston's total population." Source: http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...7-ce6cbdb865c3

THh boundaries of Dorchester have shifted since 2010 because in 2010 according to the city. Dorchester had 4k less people than 2000. Population was 88k. Again directly from the city itself

TOTAL POPULATION

(US Bureau of the Census)

Dorchester Boston
2010 88,333 617,594
2000 92,115 589,141
% Change 2000-2010 -4.28% 2.6%

https://www.boston.gov/sites/default...ct_profile.pdf

160k was cited by point2homes.com. I think the city of Boston is more reputable. Also, point 2 homes .com you referenced includes the 02118 zip code which is mission hill. 160k is way to large and erroneous.

Dorchester has about 20 homicides thus far in 2018. In Boston, About 1/4 of all shootings result in deaths. and even fewer stabbing. I'd estimate Dorchester has seen 100+ shootings/shots fired or stabbing thus far this year. So about 1 every other day.

Twice as high as any other city in the state. Springfield might have 10 or 11 though.

Homicide rate as of October is 20 per 100k compared to less than 2 per 100k statewide... and 4.5 per 100k nationwide...

I no way have i been acting like the 6 homicides is normal but it shows a large capacity for violence.

Compton California is comparable in size and had 15 homicides in 2015. Compton: Victims in 2015 - Los Angeles Murders and Homicides - The Homicide Report - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-11-2018, 12:38 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
In Allston you have to watch out for all the ****-drunk dudebros who would gladly bash your head in for looking at them the wrong way and all the (often gun-toting) dope peddlers bringing in their wares. Now, what are you so afraid of in a place like Savin Hill, other than realtors trying to charge you more than $600/sqft in an old triple decker?
I've never seen a dudebro bash someone's head in on Brighton Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston