Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 06:52 PM

10 posts, read 49,020 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we've looked at houses all over and have narrowed it down to 2 that meet our needs, but totally different locations. One is in Arlington Heights, built in 1935, charmingly redone, 5 minute walk to bus to Alewife (need to commute to Cambridge), price is close to $500k. The other is a substantially nicer home in Reading, 1.2 miles to Reading train station, built in the 70's and close to $100k less.

So, I'm torn. Do I go with Arlington and pay more for a less nice house, but have an easier commute and better investment potential (I think), or go with the nicer Reading house. By the way, we're only anticipating being here for 3 years or so, so resale or rent potential is very important.

Any thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 12:28 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
I live in Arlington Heights. There was an article about Arlington in the Boston Globe a few weeks ago. Apparently, it's one of the few towns in Massachusetts which appears not to have been hit by the market crash. Homes here are still selling very well.

As for whether you should choose Arlington or Reading, that depends on what is most important for you.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
I'd say Arlington. Most Americans will go for the bigger house and yard farther away from work, but I'd go the other way. Someone did some research finding that in general, men like the big suburban house where we can come home at night after battling in the city and have peace and quiet. Women, on the other hand, prefer urban environments because they're so much richer in social spaces, places to connect with other people, whether it's parks or cafes and restaurants or bustling streets or whatever. Don't know if this fits you or not, but that's my feeling, that in or near the city you have so many places to go, so much to do--who cares if the house is small? In the suburbs there's no place to go--the mall, maybe. You can rattle around in your big house feeling lonely.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
I'd say Arlington. Most Americans will go for the bigger house and yard farther away from work, but I'd go the other way. Someone did some research finding that in general, men like the big suburban house where we can come home at night after battling in the city and have peace and quiet. Women, on the other hand, prefer urban environments because they're so much richer in social spaces, places to connect with other people, whether it's parks or cafes and restaurants or bustling streets or whatever.
I agree with Arlington. I'm a little biased having grown up there but I like Reading as well. I do think Arlington gives you more to do, or at least easier proximity to more to do, and will hold up better over three years.

I'm not part of the trend. I am a man and I'd never want to go that far out because I can't stand losing half my life to a commute. Peace and quiet yes, big house, not really. Of course I have never lived farther from a city than the Wedgemere station in Winchester, which is 15 mins to North Station. For the last 15 years I've lived directly in the city, be it Boston, New York, or DC. I spend a good amount of time in my girlfriend's in Belmont, but it's on the Cambridge line and about 10 mins to Harvard. Frankly, I consider even that area a little sleepy.

I worked with a guy who came in from New Hampshire and thought I was nuts to pay more to live in Cambridge "for such a tiny place." After years in Manhattan, the place in Cambridge seemed enormous to me. It even had a porch, yard, and driveway. He used to laugh at me because I thought of Wakefield as a far-out suburb. I can't imagine the American preference for driving or taking the T for an hour and a half each way just for an extra 3 feet in a bedroom. I'd rather get home faster and be in the center of the action, but I've always been a more urban person.

I think, though, this trend is changing because of the "revival" of cities and a fatigue with commuting long hours to suburbs that have plenty of problems making the budget, etc. A place like Arlington or Belmont, which is as close as you can get to the city while still having good schools, a lawn, and some peace and quiet, will be in demand. That's why Brookline and Newton have gotten so expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston