Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 09:17 AM

16,402 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

agree...and I'm guessing the female who was asking will be renting (and paying a lot for rent) and not buying something. Of course I could be wrong...i'm just saying i wouldnt want to throw rent money away in an unsafe neighborhood. When i lived near bowdoin st I paid nothing to live there because i was living at a family member's house. I wouldnt have paid to live there...but free was a different story lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 09:43 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,668,728 times
I don't necessarily think it's "unsafe." I wouldn't think twice, myself, to walk down Mass Ave at any time of night but this isn't about me. The question is it is a great place for a young woman who has never lived in Boston. I also wouldn't want to live in the area because it's important to me to be able to leave my home for extended periods and not worry about whether my place will be broken into. While the latter is mostly dependent on the the security of the specific building and the particular unit one lives in, when you are in proximity to a lot of addicts property crime becomes more of an issue and that needs to be considered more when selecting a unit. Also, if could be vulnerable in any ways do you want to deal with that concern if traveling on foot after midnight? I would also be thinking about how crime will continue to affect that area in the wake of COVID (early release of offenders, economic issues etc) and in light of recent complex socio/political factors such as bail reform, Defund, prosecutorial changes etc. all of which may or may not have significant impact.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:54 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You're becoming hard to follow there dude. First you say your place was broken into, more recently that your glass was smashed, and now saying that it was merely a porch theft???

But now that it was "just a porch theft", and you seem "shocked" that the police couldn't do anything, and your answer to that is....END QUALIFIED IMMUNITY!...IDK you're killing me today, man.

But now that we see how much the public school system has failed, perhaps we should end qualified immunity for teachers as well.

And put me down as another who has never been broken into, or had stuff taken from my yard or porch (knock on wood). I spent far more of my life in the city of Boston than you have, and still have family in some better parts of the city (who never experienced any of this either). Even in your beloved Quincy, I never had this happen.

This is making the absurd assumption that OP has no other and much better options. As myself and others said, a single young woman concerned about safety ought to be looking out along the Green Line.

I think your problem (also see my personal experience of no break ins), is that you are conditioned to believe that your experience is "normal" when it in fact is not and nobody should have to accept that as their normal.

And btw, your comparing Copley Square to Chester Square has to be the most ridiculous (and reckless) thing I have heard on this forum lately (and that says an awful lot).
Most brownstones have common areas. So, yes, it's like a porch pirate. Smash the front door, take something in the entry way that was visible through the glass, and leave. Nobody's unit was entered.

Consider yourself lucky, or you didn't have anything worth stealing. I've had stuff stolen in Acton, and I've had stuff stolen in Boston. Acton PD took it significantly more seriously.

We don't know the OP's priorities. Frankly, we don't need to know.

When saying the same things happen at both squares, it's completely fair. You've never seen an addict on the benches by BPL or over by the Clarendon/Boylston corner? Believe me or anyone else who frequents the area: they're there. Even got to watch a fight break out between 4 of them last week on a bench near the rabbit/turtle statue, but I'm not going to start thinking Copley's a dangerous ghetto for it.

Here's what the actual problem is between us: OP asked a question, and we gave two different answers. You can't take it as two data points or two perceptions on an area; you have to prove yourself right and the other wrong. It's not enough for you to disagree, you have to go to each person who posted that it wasn't as bad as you think it is and tell them they're wrong. Back and forths like this ensue, that ultimately breakdown as my explaining things and you spending a lot of time trying to find new angles to prove yourself right.

You've stated your view on the area, and I've stated mine, so let it go already. It's the OP's thread, so let her decide which input matters and make her own decision.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:14 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,668,728 times
"Acton PD took it significantly more seriously." LOL.

Where does one begin?

Old 06-21-2021, 10:16 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Most brownstones have common areas. So, yes, it's like a porch pirate. Smash the front door, take something in the entry way that was visible through the glass, and leave. Nobody's unit was entered.

Consider yourself lucky, or you didn't have anything worth stealing. I've had stuff stolen in Acton, and I've had stuff stolen in Boston. Acton PD took it significantly more seriously.

I imagine the Acton PD would have a lot more time, ability and manpower available to devote to things like solving petty theft. I would HOPE they took it more seriously, considering they do not have the BIG fish to contend with like the Boston PD would.

Quote:
We don't know the OP's priorities. Frankly, we don't need to know.

When saying the same things happen at both squares, it's completely fair. You've never seen an addict on the benches by BPL or over by the Clarendon/Boylston corner? Believe me or anyone else who frequents the area: they're there. Even got to watch a fight break out between 4 of them last week on a bench near the rabbit/turtle statue, but I'm not going to start thinking Copley's a dangerous ghetto for it.

They are simply different worlds. While stuff obviously goes down at Copley, you need to consider the level of traffic there and ratio of legitimate people to sketchballs (will be much much higher than Chester Sq.). I think you are severely downplaying the impact that has, on how safe/comfortable an atmosphere you have.

Quote:
Here's what the actual problem is between us: OP asked a question, and we gave two different answers. You can't take it as two data points or two perceptions on an area; you have to prove yourself right and the other wrong. It's not enough for you to disagree, you have to go to each person who posted that it wasn't as bad as you think it is and tell them they're wrong. Back and forths like this ensue, that ultimately breakdown as my explaining things and you spending a lot of time trying to find new angles to prove yourself right.

You've stated your view on the area, and I've stated mine, so let it go already. It's the OP's thread, so let her decide which input matters and make her own decision.

Eh, not really. I said from the very beginning that OP should first consider other options, that would better fit her priorities and who she is. You made it as though it's either "South End or spend more of her paycheck to live in the Back Bay". And then going on from there, implying as though anywhere she lived would have similar "issues" to content with. That is just not the case, and you refuse to acknowledge that.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:08 AM

In 1999/2000 or so I worked at Boston Medical center part time. Twice I had my car broken into. One time it is my fault because I didn't lock my damn door. However someone still had the nerve to open my door and steal some new clothes I had just bought. Another time someone threw a rock or something through my car window but then took nothing...there wasnt really anything to take besides the car itself.

Aside from having my wallet stolen in college those are really the only two times in my life I've had anything stolen...they both happened in the south end in the same area...and today I hear all these horror stories about junkies in the south end. Maybe i'm biased but history and the crime reports stick with us. I just dont think you can tell someone that an area is safe when they've had multiple crimes happen to them in that area and they read crime there on a regular basis. It doesnt mean it can't be a nice place to live but you can't tell someone like me it's perfectly safe.

Sure crime can happen anywhere...but the odds of it happening in the south end are more likely than it happening in Hingham.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:12 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

Sure crime can happen anywhere...but the odds of it happening in the south end are more likely than it happening in Hingham.

Or Brookline, or Brighton, or Quincy, or Malden...

Old 06-21-2021, 11:34 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,121,919 times
There are a few polar bears in the artic
MBTA Orange Line Safety? Back Bay to Mass Ave at night

Old 06-21-2021, 11:44 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
There are a few polar bears in the artic
MBTA Orange Line Safety? Back Bay to Mass Ave at night
Not sure why you want to keep harping on anything I have to say. There are plenty of areas in MA that have no crime. Not sure why anyone would want to keep giving accolades to places that have crime on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston