Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:50 PM

11 posts, read 36,605 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread earlier about the possibility of a move from Toronto to Boston.

Is there anyone on this board that has relocated to Massachusetts from Toronto or anywhere in Canada? What are your impressions of Boston as compared to Toronto and would you recommend a move to the area?

In addition I wanted some insight on the working conditions in Boston as well. I am employed in the Commercial Construction industry as a Engineering Project Manager and my wife is a Paralegal. Is there anyone who is involved in either industry that could give me their impressions of working in Boston and also the short and long term outlook for the above Industries in the area (Construction and Legal Services)

Thank you again in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 11:11 AM

23 posts, read 127,007 times
Hello!
Have you made the move yet? I'm from Toronto as well and looking for any help possible!

Old 04-15-2007, 11:23 AM

133 posts, read 559,033 times
I was born and raised in Boston and now live in the burbs.
I've spent a lot of time in Toronto over the years and love the city.

Toronto is cleaner, easier to get around and in my opinion an all around nicer city.

I'll give you an extreme example.
Go to Chinatown in each city at noon. The bean-town section is a congested sewer. Toronto streets are clean and easy to navigate.

Look at crime rates lately? Toronto's are up but not even in the same hemisphere as they are here.

The construction industry has been very quite and slow to come back here. I don't know what it's like there.

I know the Leafs can be heart breakers but have you seen a Bruins game lately? That should be enough reason to stay in Toronto right there.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:37 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
Go to Chinatown in each city at noon. The bean-town section is a congested sewer. Toronto streets are clean and easy to navigate.
Which chinatown in Toronto are you talking about? I heard the food is so bad that no one goes to Chinatown in downtown Toronto anymore (Dundas St.). May be that is why it is not congested? Many has moved out to North York and Markem a long time ago.

Quote:
The construction industry has been very quite and slow to come back here.
Where do you get that data? I saw so many commercial buildings recently finished in Boston. Many malls are being expanded. We just spent millions in fixing big dig tunnels. It seems millions more to create the parks above the big dig.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:26 PM

155 posts, read 821,443 times
TORONTO TO BOSTON TO PHOENIX
in both field - 12 years ago - husband was in construction - from TO and I was from BO -
lots of good paralegal jobs there
Much better here in all fields -
My Husband loved Boston and the Cape - but missed the european cosmopolitan Toronto - cleaner
Remember BO is like going back in time - lots of history, lots, of traffics, great food, great education
City is alive at night just like TO - and I would say cost are about the same
so think of it as going from TO to Montreal in charactor

Old 04-15-2007, 06:04 PM

23 posts, read 127,007 times
Hi eddiemills!!
I'm so glad to hear you are happy about your move to Boston! I live in the burbs of T.O. in Brampton so I'm used to driving everywhere and having ample parking while commuting into downtown. Since I'll be new to the Boston area I'll want to live a lot closer 'to the action'. Can you comment on parking? Is street parking the only feasible option?

Cost of living? Would you also say that it compares to Toronto or is it way higher? What's your take on the multiculturalism feel and diversity in Boston?

...Beware I've got lots of questions so thanks in advance

Old 04-22-2007, 09:23 PM

133 posts, read 559,033 times
Like I said the Chinatown example was an extreme one, I've found the food in Toronto's china town excellent by the way.

I know about the construction industry in Boston because I follow the union labor reports every month. I don't want to get in to union vs nonunion issues but it is an indicator of what the industry is doing.
When union labor is down and people are out of work extended periods of time the industry isn't doing all that well

Old 04-25-2007, 05:24 PM

124 posts, read 904,893 times
Just a quick note on job issues: great area here for experiences paralegals. Far better in that aspect than Toronto -- some great national firms here, mid size firms, small firms. She would have many options; Boston is a big market for legal jobs, far more than Toronto.

If you're in commercial construction as an engineering pm, I actually think you'd be find here too. But I don't know enough to compare it to Toronto.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 PM

702 posts, read 3,009,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
Are you serious? When was the last time you were in Boston's Chinatown? I'm also originally from Asia and we go there for dim sum regularly and find it to be one of the best. And I've tried dim sum in San Fran and NYC. I think Boston's Chinatown is vibrant and nice, albeit small. I don't think it is more dirty than any of the other Chinatowns that I've been to.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 17,467 times
Default Sprawl- Parking Crisis in Boston

The City of Boston are not place to be driving around, but rather walking, Buses, and or Trains.

The city having special "BTD" Boston Transportation Department employing employees to issued citation, and to tow any vehicles that miss-parked or standing after 4:00pm in almost Boston area (downtown) and more extreme in the winter time when snow plowing all vehicles must be move off-street parking. City of Boston lost over 5,000 parking spaces in and around downtown where extreme congested. Expecting to receives parking citation when street cleaning (cleverest revenue generator). Car Insurance are another major premium for rocketing when registration vehicle in Boston areas.

Of course, for those who employing by City of Boston are more of defending Boston. What about the crime rate(s) in Boston each week(s)? What About the K-12 public school? For the Universities, are among the best in the Nation, but not the K-12 school.

The Transportation is another major improvement still yet to come, from Buses to Trains in Boston area.

Downtown Boston is considered the most Sprawls in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston