Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 09:40 AM

69 posts, read 208,003 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a solo trip to Boston in October. This is a bit of an impulse so I really have no clue where to stay or what to do. I want a very walkable, safe location because I won't rent a car. Any recommendations for hotels, restaurants, activities. I want to go to Salem for a day - is it worth it? Let me know what you think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 09:53 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Salem is worth it and you can ride an easy train there. Good restaurants and all.

I'll leave it for others downtown to suggest the rest in Boston. I lived in the area for many years but never stayed in a hotel and was always in Cambridge or outlying areas for funky restaurants. I'm going to Boston next year for a wedding and will stay in the Park Plaza hotel downtown, near the Public Garden/Boston Common. Pricey but beautiful. I recommend the Garden/Common and adjoining Charles Street for a beautiful and safe walk. Have a fine and safe time!

Oh, and consider the Freedom Trail, a walk through history off the Boston Common. A Boston must.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:12 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,121,919 times
If you're into the history thing I found that the duck tour boat was very entertaining when I had family in town a couple years ago.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:25 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMRE View Post
I'm planning a solo trip to Boston in October. This is a bit of an impulse so I really have no clue where to stay or what to do. I want a very walkable, safe location because I won't rent a car. Any recommendations for hotels, restaurants, activities. I want to go to Salem for a day - is it worth it? Let me know what you think!
Almost any hotel in the downtown area (Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South Station Financial District, Leather District, Faneuil Hall, Waterfront, Downtown Crossing, North Station, West End, North End) will be walkable to most of what you want to see and safe (search the map on Priceline or Booking). Basically, within those areas, go with one that is priced within your budget and has decent reviews. You won't need a car and the whole area is very walkable.

If you're a history buff, go with the Freedom Trail as it'll let you see some of the major historic sites while doubling as a good walking tour of the city. Seafood is a must in Boston and Neptune Oyster is excellent. I'd also recommend Nautilus Pier 4, A pint and Detroit-style pizza at Night Shift Lovejoy Wharf, More beer and food at Trillium Ft. Point, Select Oyster Bar, Blackbird Doughnuts and/or Mike and Patty's for breakfast, Stillwater, etc. Worth a quick T ride out to Cambridge and Somerville for food and drink too.

Salem is very doable. You can take the train, but the Ferry is more scenic.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:41 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Look into the Revolution hotel. I like the location; it's new and supposed to be a little different and less expensive than standard downtown tourist / business hotels. The building was for many years the YWCA Berkeley Street residence but the Y is changing its mission and let the residence go. It's in the South End, where you should walk around whether you stay there or not-- see the residential squares-- Union Park, Rutland Square, Braddock Park, and the Southwest corridor linear park built above the railroad & subway line.

Yes, Public Garden & Boston Common and Charles St and side streets off that through Beacon Hill are great for strolling. Also the Back Bay district between Garden and Back Bay Fens. North End of Boston and Charlestown for getting lost in narrow winding streets, waterfront and "Seaport" for harborside atmosphere. For neighborhoods off the beaten path, visit Cambridge and Somerville-- Davis Square is a nice one, also Union Square (though it's not on the T rapid transit line quite yet). Harvard Square has much character if not quite what it was in the sixties and seventies. Brattle Street from the square out to Mount Auburn cemetery is a nice walk and you can take the "trackless trolley" back along Mt Auburn Street if tired. I like the area from Inman Square (Cambridge/Hampshire Streets) down to Central Sq (Massachusetts Ave/Prospect St). You might like Coolidge Corner and a ride on the streetcar to get there. Jamaica Plain has the beautiful Arnold Arboretum, Jamaica Pond and a fun main street (Centre St).

Lots to see in Salem and if you like museums it has a first rate one. It's hectic in October with witchy tourism but without having to navigate by car you'll be fine.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:30 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
How old are you? HI Boston youth hostel could be an option to stay. It's very centrally located and I like hostels when traveling alone to try and meet other travelers. Don't know if they're less social now due to covid, though.

I second taking the ferry to Salem over the train if the weather's nice. I imagine the ferry runs through October. Make sure to get a cannoli; I like Modern, but Mike's is good too. It'll be toned down this year, but if your trip lines up with Honk! in Somerville I'd recommend checking it out. The Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum is great too!

Old 08-13-2021, 06:57 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Look into the Revolution hotel. I like the location; it's new and supposed to be a little different and less expensive than standard downtown tourist / business hotels. The building was for many years the YWCA Berkeley Street residence but the Y is changing its mission and let the residence go. It's in the South End, where you should walk around whether you stay there or not-- see the residential squares-- Union Park, Rutland Square, Braddock Park, and the Southwest corridor linear park built above the railroad & subway line.

Yes, Public Garden & Boston Common and Charles St and side streets off that through Beacon Hill are great for strolling. Also the Back Bay district between Garden and Back Bay Fens. North End of Boston and Charlestown for getting lost in narrow winding streets, waterfront and "Seaport" for harborside atmosphere. For neighborhoods off the beaten path, visit Cambridge and Somerville-- Davis Square is a nice one, also Union Square (though it's not on the T rapid transit line quite yet). Harvard Square has much character if not quite what it was in the sixties and seventies. Brattle Street from the square out to Mount Auburn cemetery is a nice walk and you can take the "trackless trolley" back along Mt Auburn Street if tired. I like the area from Inman Square (Cambridge/Hampshire Streets) down to Central Sq (Massachusetts Ave/Prospect St). You might like Coolidge Corner and a ride on the streetcar to get there. Jamaica Plain has the beautiful Arnold Arboretum, Jamaica Pond and a fun main street (Centre St).

Lots to see in Salem and if you like museums it has a first rate one. It's hectic in October with witchy tourism but without having to navigate by car you'll be fine.
The Revolution I think is halfway between hotel and hostel. Many rooms have shared bathrooms. Cosmica (the restaurant on-site) is nice for morning drinks -- the wife and I mix between it and Blackbird on mornings we need a snack or drink. If you want a dedicated bathroom, the Pineapple one block up on Chandler has similar rates.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:18 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
I think the ferry to Salem is quite expensive vs. commuter rail, at least for me. And especially if a family of four or more. Too lazy now to research the price, but three years ago I was about to pay for a ferry ride for me and a friend to Salem but decided not to go at all when I saw the price.

But maybe it's worth it anyway, especially if timing it near sundown on the trip back to Boston.

Old 08-14-2021, 02:36 PM

915 posts, read 562,491 times
Salem is a great place to visit but do stay away from Salem on October weekends: it's too much of an unenjoyable madhouse on weekend days. COVID tempered that a bit last year, but not enough (it was the massive increase in social mixing around Hallowe'en that clearly laid the foundation for the increase in cases in ensuing weeks that became a storm after TG and its wake).

Old 08-14-2021, 02:47 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
I've steered a few city visitors to "463 Beacon Street" for a place to stay. It's a brownstone Guest house in the Back Bay, not far from Fenway, Newberry Street and the T. Safe and reasonably priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston