Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2021, 08:13 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I am not bringing it back to looks. I am saying the exact opposite. I am saying that being white isn't just about your skin color in the US.[1]

That's' why I said, well then just stop race altogether and make it about ethnicity. Or something else more meaningful.[2] The current concept of race in the US developed when not only there were just 2 groups but also these groups were pretty homogeneous inside; the US have changed enormously since that time.
[1]Okay yea I see what you meant now, I think I misread that part of your other post. I'm still not sure I agree but the argument is consistent with what you've been saying all along so it makes more sense.

[2] I would be for this but it will take more people on board and especially people unambiguously in the POC category to push for it to get any mainstream traction. If it's only white people pushing for it then they will just get called racists or generally privledged people who want to keep their blinders on even if that's not the motivation or reality of the situation. The ones coming at them the hardest will probably be other whites too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 11:56 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Wu picks up the endorsement of Ed Markey, Wakanda II, and 20+ Haitian-American leaders today.

This comes one day after AEG announced and released her 'Equity/Inclusion Plan' at a campaign event in Roxbury. It was pretty extensive- a 46-page serious document that clearly took some timeand real thought..

Almost feeling bad for George at this point. I think her base and her getting the support of Willie Gross and that Trump PAC is totally killing her campaign. She hasn't a modicum of moment and she needs boatloads to make a dent. With the nation's current social climate and Bostons 'racial reckoning', the people in her base just repel way wayyy too many people away from her.

Essaibi George aims to broaden appeal with diversity plan

Its got to be very, very difficult to build a coalition when your base is perceived as a parochial/exclusionary, do-nothing, and potential regressive/racist. I honestly do not think AEG is that way, but she had to lean too heavily into them to get her to this point. Unfortunately, the solid majority of the city sees it as something ugly/distasteful. Despite her efforts, they (and if I lived in Boston- me) are unwilling to give her a chance. Ppl don't want that and don't want to risk her being influenced by those old-timey Bostonians.

We felt that with her, we would have a seat at the table,” said Jean-Claude Sanon, one of the Haitian leaders and a former city council candidate, previewing the endorsement.

Thirteen Haitian leaders had met separately with the two candidates on Zoom early last week for about an hour, and many of them were impressed with Essaibi George, but had concerns about her, said Sanon, the Haitian American advocate.

We felt it was going to be the same old thing, the same old politics with her,” he said, noting her support for additional police, her opposition to an eviction moratorium, and her backing of an appointed School Committee.

^What he's saying is she doest trust the people who will sit at AEGs table-they'll try to exclude people.

Once the Globe endorses Wu it'll pretty much stamp out the George Campaign. I always said she was the least competitive person to face her.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-06-2021 at 12:07 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 12:01 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Almost feeling bad for George at this point. I think her base and her getting the support of Willie Gross and that Trump PAC is totally killing her campaign. She hasn't a modicum of moment and she needs boatloads to make a dent. With the nation's current social climate and Bostons 'racial reckoning', the people in her base just repel way wayyy too many people away from her.
It sure isn't helping.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:05 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,348 times
Can’t wait for that collective howl coming out of Farrakhanda once renovation work starts to accommodate all the deep pocket yuppies and all those section 8 leases don’t get extended.

Quote:
Wu picks up the endorsement of Ed Markey, Wakanda II, and 20+ Haitian-American leaders today.

This comes one day after AEG announced and released her 'Equity/Inclusion Plan' at a campaign event in Roxbury. It was pretty extensive- a 46-page serious document that clearly took some timeand real thought..

Essaibi George aims to broaden appeal with diversity plan

Its got to be very, very difficult to build a coalition when your base is perceived as a parochial/exclusionary, do-nothing, and potential regressive/racist. I honestly do not think AEG is that way, but she had to lean too heavily into them to get her to this point. Unfortunately, the solid majority of the city sees it as something ugly/distasteful. Despite her efforts, they (and if I lived in Boston- me) are unwilling to give her a chance. Ppl don't want that and don't want to risk her being influenced by those old-timey Bostonians.

Once the Globe endorses Wu it'll pretty much stamp out the George Campaign. I always said she was the least competitive person to face her.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Can’t wait for that collective howl coming out of Farrakhanda once renovation work starts to accommodate all the deep pocket yuppies and all those section 8 leases don’t get extended.
yea, see...this is what I'm saying. it's people like you that are killing AEG's earnest campaign. Not really fair to her.

Folks supported Walsh and I thought Walsh had a good feel in the black community- I met him and liked him. But this time most folks can see there is a much better alternative to Walsh/George. It's not personal against AEG but the baggage surrounding her that she's been trying to shed isn't going anywhere. progressives are gonna hammer the TRUMP PAC thing home no matter what she says.

The real flaw in her campaign is that she's rolling out a "Diversity plan 25 days before the election. Cmon now...that's not a good look. Until this point her entire campaign has been "elect me I won't change a damn thing or do a damn thing" now she's hopping on a wave to try to get some votes. It's not good, its don't leadership. Michelle Wu had those types of plans on her site literally a year ago.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:51 PM

Look, I have no horse in this race - I’m equally content with staying in Boston under George or collecting my seven figure payout and moving to Newton under Wu. I just find it hilarious how the hatred for whitie is so deep-seated blacks would much rather vote for a non-white candidate whose policies all but guarantee they will get gentrified out in a few years. It makes perfect sense for you to want Wu as seven figure payout for that apartment of yours is a whole lot better than $1400 or so section 8 rent you must collecting now but what about all the whitie-hating section 8 renters who will soon learn their lease is not getting extended and all those previously plentiful cheap rentals in dortappanbury are now very, very expensive condos?

Quote:
yea, see...this is what I'm saying. it's people like you that are killing AEG's earnest campaign. Not really fair to her.

Folks supported Walsh and I thought Walsh had a good feel in the black community- I met him and liked him. But this time most folks can see there is a much better alternative to Walsh/George. It's not personal against AEG but the baggage surrounding her that she's been trying to shed isn't going anywhere. progressives are gonna hammer the TRUMP PAC thing home no matter what she says.

The real flaw in her campaign is that she's rolling out a "Diversity plan 25 days before the election. Cmon now...that's not a good look. Until this point her entire campaign has been "elect me I won't change a damn thing or do a damn thing" now she's hopping on a wave to try to get some votes. It's not good, its don't leadership. Michelle Wu had those types of plans on her site literally a year ago.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:03 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,216 times
Quote:
Look, I have no horse in this race - I’m equally content with staying in Boston under George or collecting my seven figure payout and moving to Newton under Wu. I just find it hilarious how the hatred for whitie is so deep-seated blacks would much rather vote for a non-white candidate whose policies all but guarantee they will get gentrified out in a few years. It makes perfect sense for you to want Wu as seven figure payout for that apartment of yours is a whole lot better than $1400 or so section 8 rent you must collecting now but what about all the whitie-hating section 8 renters who will soon learn their lease is not getting extended and all those previously plentiful cheap rentals in dortappanbury are now very, very expensive condos?
From what I've seen, most of the dislike has nothing to do with the fact she's white; it has to do with the fact she wants to bolster the police force instead of reform it. That's political seppuku right now, and not just with POC.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:12 PM

Sounds like voters need to learn the hard way then, a few years of San Minneacisco should do the trick. Nothing like getting carjacked the second you step out of you $1,200,000 750sqft Codman Square condo because the police are defunded(tm) and rents are controlled(tm.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
From what I've seen, most of the dislike has nothing to do with the fact she's white; it has to do with the fact she wants to bolster the police force instead of reform it. That's political seppuku right now, and not just with POC.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
It's not because she's white, it's because she's got a reactionary base/brand right now. She's too deep in that world out of necessity. It might not be the police. Kim Janey wanted more officers (not 300 more though, smh) but she was never branded that way.

Its just feels like she got a tired shtick and it doesn't feel as relevant or powerful anymore

For Leonard Lee, who ran unsuccessfully for the District 4 council seat, the choice is clear, which is why he announced Tuesday he was endorsing Wu, joining former candidate William Dickerson III. Lee noted the similarities with the 2013 Walsh-Connolly race in the manner in which elected and community leaders are beginning to rally behind the front-runner.

Back then, ‘the good old Irish boys’ had a much tighter reign on the city,” Lee said. “People were panicking with the thought of Connolly being mayor. They said ‘he’s not one of us.’ "

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/...-mayoral-race/
It

So it wasn't about just white its about your entire image/style. Trying to run on what AEG's running on is more difficult each election cycle. Much more so now than even 8 years ago.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Sounds like voters need to learn the hard way then, a few years of San Minneacisco should do the trick. Nothing like getting carjacked the second you step out of you $1,200,000 750sqft Codman Square condo because the police are defunded(tm) and rents are controlled(tm.)
Thats already happening....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston