Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 06:45 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokaydokay View Post
Doesn't exactly amount to a "Black takeover"
you ain't never lied
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 07:22 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Let me know when they finally run the brahmins out of Louisburg Square, so I can afford to buy a place there!
That could happen if defundies turn Boston into Floydadishu and crime rockets off into stratosphere but there's way too much money tied up in Boston to allow it. There's a much higher chance of comrade chairWumyn's housing policies turning us into East San Francisco, in which case a 800sqft shoebox in Roxtappanchester will cost as much as a 800sqdt shoebox near Lewisburg Square costs right now.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
That could happen if defundies turn Boston into Floydadishu and crime rockets off into stratosphere but there's way too much money tied up in Boston to allow it. There's a much higher chance of comrade chairWumyn's housing policies turning us into East San Francisco, in which case a 800sqft shoebox in Roxtappanchester will cost as much as a 800sqdt shoebox near Lewisburg Square costs right now.
But there wasn’t too much money tied up in NYC? I’m just tryna find topics where you’re consistent.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:37 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
But there wasn’t too much money tied up in NYC? I’m just tryna find topics where you’re consistent.
That's the funny thing homie, you never know nowadays. Portland and Minneapolis used to be affluent and very safe cities, look at them now. Floydadishu is not outside the real of possibility, East San Francisco is a certainty.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:03 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
According to the ACS data the Asian population in Quincy hasn't really being growing that much in the last few years.
It's possible it will stabilize around 30%

Old 01-18-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
According to the ACS data the Asian population in Quincy hasn't really being growing that much in the last few years.
It's possible it will stabilize around 30%
Dont trust the ACS too much.

Per the 2020 and 2010 Census', Quincy went from 22,124 Asians in 2010 (24.0% of the city) to 31,196 in 2020 (30.7% of the city). https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/...n-has-changed/

At the same time, whites decreased from 60,448 (65.5% of the city) to 55,055 (54.2% of the city)

Quincy also added over 2,000 Latinos, over 2,000 mixed-race residents and 1,500 Black residents. Quincy now has over 5,000 black residents and 5,000 Latino residents.

In 2030 I'd expect Quincy to be 35% Asian and maybe 46% white. Asians will likely- from my viewpoint-surpass whites in Quincy by 2040. China is a huge source of Immigration in MA and thats our fastest growing racial group. China and India in general are a huge immigrant pool-theyrenot Cambodia. I dont see any reson why it would stabilize. The whit epopulation is dropping in MA and has been for 30 years, thats not going to change and Quincy isnt going to drop in population soo.. Unless its a ton of Blacks and Hispanics (it wont be) it will be Asians.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Dont trust the ACS too much.

Per the 2020 and 2010 Census', Quincy went from 22,124 Asians in 2010 (24.0% of the city) to 31,196 in 2020 (30.7% of the city). https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/...n-has-changed/

At the same time, whites decreased from 60,448 (65.5% of the city) to 55,055 (54.2% of the city)

Quincy also added over 2,000 Latinos, over 2,000 mixed-race residents and 1,500 Black residents. Quincy now has over 5,000 black residents and 5,000 Latino residents.

In 2030 I'd expect Quincy to be 35% Asian and maybe 46% white. Asians will likely- from my viewpoint-surpass whites in Quincy by 2040. China is a huge source of Immigration in MA and thats our fastest growing racial group. China and India in general are a huge immigrant pool-theyrenot Cambodia. I dont see any reson why it would stabilize. The whit epopulation is dropping in MA and has been for 30 years, thats not going to change and Quincy isnt going to drop in population soo.. Unless its a ton of Blacks and Hispanics (it wont be) it will be Asians.
Between the census and ACS you never know who to trust these days.

Immigration from China could be less sustained in the future due to the tensions between the 2 countries, though this may apply more to the highly educated immigrants than the average person.

Regardless, I just forecast more and more Asians leaving the core urban area for the suburbs, just like plenty of whites do. New immigrants may come to Quincy but then Asians born in Quincy may leave for other parts of the State, reducing the growth of the city.
My prediction would be 35% Asian and 50% white in 2030, moderate increase in other ethnicities. I just don't see Quincy becoming a magnet for Latinos at this point, there are already plenty other magnets in MA. And unless there is a surge of African immigration I don't see african-american moving to Quincy, they will either stay where they are or accelerate a move to suburbs.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:32 AM

BTW, I love the title of this thread.
Boston is often referred to as "most racist city in the US", but according to OP is a black mecca.
Quincy it's just small city around Boston with 30k Asians living in it.

I wonder if OP has any idea of what a mecca is LOL

Old 01-18-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Between the census and ACS you never know who to trust these days.

Immigration from China could be less sustained in the future due to the tensions between the 2 countries, though this may apply more to the highly educated immigrants than the average person.

Regardless, I just forecast more and more Asians leaving the core urban area for the suburbs, just like plenty of whites do. New immigrants may come to Quincy but then Asians born in Quincy may leave for other parts of the State, reducing the growth of the city.
My prediction would be 35% Asian and 50% white in 2030, moderate increase in other ethnicities. I just don't see Quincy becoming a magnet for Latinos at this point, there are already plenty other magnets in MA. And unless there is a surge of African immigration I don't see african-american moving to Quincy, they will either stay where they are or accelerate a move to suburbs.
No city in MA will see its white percentage decrease by only 4% other than Boston. You won’t go from that 11% decree to just a 4% decrease in a state seeing massive white population loss… in a country that’s having overall white population loss. Even Cambridge sees decreases of 4%…

Much of Quincy is suburban in nature, and I think there will be at least similar growth in Latinos and Blacks this year pushing their population to 7% each. At 35% Asian and 14% black and Latino to be 50% white it d only have 1% mixed race or other- meaning those groups would have to decrease from their current amounts. Thats an impossibility.

So 46/47% people white is in the conservative estimate end barring a total explosion of RE in Quincy. But Lynn would experience that first IMO… the more standard estimate would be a repeat of this decade trends -11% so 43%. I don’t think the geopolitics are stopping Chinese immigration this decade. COVID would slow down the immigration waves but it’s very likely MA is seeing by increased flight of white residents right now like similar states are.

We have no choice but to tryst the census and if anything the census undercounts minorities, particularly blacks and recent immigrant arrivals.

Old 01-18-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
No city in MA will see its white percentage decrease by only 4% other than Boston. You won’t go from that 11% decree to just a 4% decrease in a state seeing massive white population loss… in a country that’s having overall white population loss. Even Cambridge sees decreases of 4%…

Much of Quincy is suburban in nature, and I think there will be at least similar growth in Latinos and Blacks this year pushing their population to 7% each. At 35% Asian and 14% black and Latino to be 50% white it d only have 1% mixed race or other- meaning those groups would have to decrease from their current amounts. Thats an impossibility.

So 46/47% people white is in the conservative estimate end barring a total explosion of RE in Quincy. But Lynn would experience that first IMO… the more standard estimate would be a repeat of this decade trends -11% so 43%. I don’t think the geopolitics are stopping Chinese immigration this decade. COVID would slow down the immigration waves but it’s very likely MA is seeing by increased flight of white residents right now like similar states are.
I see. If you completely disregards the ACS data I agree with you. The ACS 2021 is putting Quincy white at over 60% at the moment and greatly reduced Latinos and especially mixed-race people.
I wouldn't call anything an impossibility, but I can see how you think it's highly unlikely. You are probably right.

Yeah mixed race makes it a bit more difficult. I mean, probably in a few decades a majority of Americans will be of mixed race. This is kind of interesting because ultimately it's a meaningless category (since there is no socioeconomic or cultural reason to aggregate a black/white with a Latino/native) so I wonder how is going to get analyzed the larger it grows. Right now anything that isn't white is considered basically POC but having met plenty of white/Latino and white/Asian I find this assumption quite odd.

Anything bad that happens to a Chinese person in the US is amplified 1000s times in China. From the woman that was killed in the subway the other day to the professor that was accused of being a Chinese spy. This is going to start having an effect sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston