Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 16,316 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
I am fairly new to MA. I am considering moving to the Brookline, Newton, Cambridge or West Roxbury areas and wanted some input. I am a young 40ish female, single with no kids. I love beautiful scenery (trees, grass, flowers, water, handsome men, lol etc.), and I don't want to live around a bunch of 20-something college students. I would like to hang out with people in their mid 30's to mid 50's.
I live in a beautiful town in MA but it's just too far from Boston for my taste and the population consists of either kids or elderly people so it's hard to meet people my own age who aren't all married. I want to say that I'm not sure if I am ignorant about the next thing I say so please take it with a grain of salt if I'm wrong...Also, there are a lot of Orthodox Jews in this town. They seem to be rather cliquish and I want to be around people who are more accepting of me (a Christian). I know several Jewish people who aren't "Orthodox" who just act like me--open hearted and accepting. If I am totally wrong about this I profusely apologize --in fact I was told this before I moved here and I said "No, that's ridiculous." But I am finding it to be the case.
I am looking for a safe area as well. My realtor says Newton is full of snooty people--help!!!!! Can anyone help me with this? I don't want to be in the city unless I am living near a park where there is a lot of green, perhaps a lake or pond.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 05:32 PM

166 posts, read 705,596 times
In your case I would not recommend Brookline... a lot of college kids and very Jewish.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:37 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
have you considered roslindale-which is next to west roxbury. they both have alot
of firemen-and city workers who live there. They also have a bus which takes you to the T. i also would say no to brookline because of the college kids and schools there. Parts of newton are very wealthy, and have people who have lived there along time. the parkway area near west roxbury-is nice and many side streets might have just what you are looking for.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 AM

142 posts, read 660,900 times
Based on the issues stated in your post, with your three choices, I'd opt for West Roxbury. It does have a lot of young families, and is a pretty safe area of Boston. The main boulevard has lots of shops and restaurants, so you won't have to travel very far for necessities and entertainment. And the area has stops on the commuter rail to Boston, so you're not too far from downtown.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:18 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjscdn View Post
Based on the issues stated in your post, with your three choices, I'd opt for West Roxbury. It does have a lot of young families, and is a pretty safe area of Boston. The main boulevard has lots of shops and restaurants, so you won't have to travel very far for necessities and entertainment. And the area has stops on the commuter rail to Boston, so you're not too far from downtown.
That was my though-also, on Centre Street-which runs to j.p Roslindale into
the holy Name-and Parkway-there just may be a gem to find-it is a nice
safe place-I guess just keep an open mind. Great post, and the plus is transportation without the need of a car!

Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 PM

6 posts, read 16,316 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for the input!!

Old 05-18-2008, 10:04 PM

36 posts, read 176,814 times
I would go for JP or Southie

Old 05-19-2008, 11:19 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
"Rozzy" (Roslindale) has become very trendy. You might like it there--lots of singles, marrieds, professionals.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 10,579 times
Jamaica Plain is beautiful. Very Cambridge feel--nice restaurants, lots to do. Great Arboretum, parks, pond. Great houses and apartments.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:44 PM

42 posts, read 191,077 times
As someone who lives in Newton, I take offense at your realtor's comment - lol....I guess the basic questions so we can help you -

Are you looking for a house or Condo?
What is your budget?
Do you need a yard of your own or just need to be near parks?

This city-data site is good for checking the average age of each town. Brookline is diverse and has a great mix of shops and restaurants. But there are a lot of college students as noted. Same goes for Cambridge. That doesn't mean everyone is young. That population is congregated closest to the Universities.

There are a lot of doctors in the South End, Brookline and Newton. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston