Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 AM

94 posts, read 257,620 times

Advertisements

Thoughts welcome on Jamaica Plain as it suits my criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Jamaica Plain is as trendy as Boston gets, so it didn't sound so much like the Chicago setting you were describing. It's a great neighborhood with lots of interesting sub pockets that range from affluent to poor. Big artist-writer and GLBT community. It can be pricier than Roslindale and West Rox and the poorer sections have some safety issues. It's on the orange line subway so it's very convenient. Lots of green space--Jamaica Pond and adjoining areas of the emerald necklace, Arnold Arboretum, Franklin Park, and Forest Hills Cemetery are all there to explore.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 AM

Thank for the response. It's hard to know without physically walking the streets. We hope to visit mid-September. Still open to near suburbs if it's not mcmansion & strip-mall land.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
heyho, you might be interested in an article from today's Boston Globe: A cultural remix in West Roxbury - The Boston Globe

Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 AM

graci for link!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:03 PM

Very interesting read. Sounds similar to our 'hood.
It does read no 'T' stop. I presume there must be something to get to South Station area?

Professionally, one is journalist/bureau chief (the transfer) and I'm the designer/art director (will be following up on all offers for contacts after the dust has settled). We aren't exactly high income types, but doing ok, despite the economy ...

Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
It's on the commuter rail. MBTA Commuter Rail > Needham Line Schedules and Maps

The MBTA site is a good one to refer to for all kinds of neighborhood transportation options when you do your housing search.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:47 AM

Hi'all!

We're still looking.

How busy is the Parkway traffic in West Roxbury? The realtors call it 'highly desirable'. Why, exactly? Is there a typical Boston lot size? In Chicago, it's typically 25 x 125' (more or less).

Any comments on Dedham and Quincy?

many thanks!

Old 09-18-2009, 11:09 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
heyho-- glad to read that you're still looking. Sounds like you need to tour the neighborhoods, get a feel. Hard to say what the standard city lot in Boston is but I'd say at least 40' wide. Look at the streets along and around West Roxbury Parkway in Google Streetview--that's the best alternative to seeing it for yourself. The houses are 1915-1960 vintage and all have pretty good side yards. The parkway is wide and parklike so I think bordering houses don't feel much of an impact, and the traffic has never seemed heavy to me. I have no comment on Dedham except to say that the beautiful Precinct One area has virtually no rail or bus transportation into Boston. Other parts of Dedham are on the railroad. There's a current thread where people are raving about Quincy, so look it up. Quincy is on the shore and on the red line.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Oh, yes we hope to get out for a few days in early October.

Yes, I saw the Qunicy thread after my posting and, too, the North Weymouth thread.

Is it necessary to have flood & hurricane insurance throughout the state? Just one more thing that adds to the cost of the home and one of those items totally unnecessary in Chicago (sump pump, who needs a sump pump? LOL.)

Also, read the thread about Mexican food, or the lack thereof, of superior Mexican food, in Boston. : (

We're fortunate in this city to have mucho little Rick Bayless's opening restaurants that are comparable (except for the check) to their former mentor. I might need to encourage them to move to Bean-town, too! : D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston