Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 10,645 times

Advertisements

the girls in the NE have a distinct look i think, also coming from Florida, girls as a whole just look different. and I agree that it seems that they do wear a lot more makeup in the north
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,447,154 times
Argghhh...beauty in the South!

After 11 years there, here's what comes to mind: "high-school" from the back, "museum" from the front. Lots of those. Way too many grandmas with bright blond, long locks, and an obssessively exercised butt, trying to look 27-ish. No dignity.

And yes, some of the young ones may have that "commercial" yet unsophisticated kind of attractiveness. But you can HARDLY speak of beauty. Oliver James talked pretty eloquently about this difference in his "Affluenza" book.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:46 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,235,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Argghhh...beauty in the South!

After 11 years there, here's what comes to mind: "high-school" from the back, "museum" from the front. Lots of those. Way too many grandmas with bright blond, long locks, and an obssessively exercised butt, trying to look 27-ish. No dignity.
HAH! There are a lot of those in LA too.

Hell, I hope I have an obessively excercised butt when I'M a grandma!

Eh, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Most of my guy friends & my husband have all made comments about people being better looking elsewhere. I've found this to be true, myself. But maybe Boston people just aren't my type (which is why I married someone from Chicago).

I know I definitely wouldn't want to be single here. Not in a MILLION years!

I didn't like living in Austin, but I gotta say... if I were single, that's where I would go. When I left I jokingly wrote "Goodbye hot sweaty shirtless in-shape men jogging by the river... hello overweight douches in khakis & baseball hats sporting military-style crew cuts & drinking beer," on my Facebook page and got a TON of comments saying "Oh my god, totally!"

Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,293,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post

Eh, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Most of my guy friends & my husband have all made comments about people being better looking elsewhere. I've found this to be true, myself. But maybe Boston people just aren't my type (which is why I married someone from Chicago).

I know I definitely wouldn't want to be single here. Not in a MILLION years!

I didn't like living in Austin, but I gotta say... if I were single, that's where I would go. When I left I jokingly wrote "Goodbye hot sweaty shirtless in-shape men jogging by the river... hello overweight douches in khakis & baseball hats sporting military-style crew cuts & drinking beer," on my Facebook page and got a TON of comments saying "Oh my god, totally!"
Oh my God, Massachusetts is, like totally a lot fitter than Texas.

And as far as cities go:
According to the American Fitness Index.

Boston is the 4th fittest major metro in the nation. Austin is number 9.
The rest of the Texas cities are pitiful.

American Fitness Index

And how classy are you calling people "douches"?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,118,541 times
Yeah, I'm not sure where this overweight comment came from either.

Although I am wearing khakis at the moment, and wouldn't say "no" to a beer.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,309,669 times
Quote:
And, you can generally tell a Bostonian by their accent. (for the person who said "maybe they're from Florida!")
You'll hear an accent as they ride the T?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:38 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,235,449 times
To the overweight comment... I've seen that graphic, too. And for all of Texas, sure... maybe. Boston vs. Austin: nope. I've seen a LOT more fat people here than in Austin. Granted, people tend to be thinner & more attractive here in Arlington than they were in Malden. Ugh, Malden. I wish my mom & sister didn't live there so I never had to set foot in that miserable town again.

As for hearing an accent riding the T, um, of course! If someone's sitting there not saying anything then no. If two people are having a conversation next to you about how great it is to take the T so they don't have to pahk the cah, then yes.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,044,485 times
If someone is talking about how great it is to take the T, I would seriously doubt they were from Boston.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 AM

[quote]
Quote:
To the overweight comment... I've seen that graphic, too. And for all of Texas, sure... maybe. Boston vs. Austin: nope. I've seen a LOT more fat people here than in Austin.
Wow! Do you always ignore facts like this? I showed you two among many articles and/or studies that show that Boston is fitter than Austin and Massachusetts is fitter than Texas and you completely opted for your own delusion.
I even posted actual graphics!!!!
Oh well, as we say in Boston, "That's wicked weird!"

Old 12-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure where this overweight comment came from either.

Although I am wearing khakis at the moment, and wouldn't say "no" to a beer.
Were you aware that you were a "douche"?

In all fairness, I used to use that word to insult people too. The difference was that I was 12 and it was 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston