Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,831 times

Advertisements

My husband and I, both professionals, are moving to Bean Town in July 2010 and are looking for a place to live. I need to be close to Berkley Street (close to Stuart St. or St. James Ave) and my husband will commute to Chestnut Hill for work.

As it stands, it looks like Back Bay is our best bet, but it seems quite $$ (especially since we'll need a parking stall). Any recommendations on where else we could look that would keep me close to work (i.e. either walking distance or via Metro)?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,092 times
There are many UK'ers in the area so you will feel right at home. It is costly to live in Boston; my GF has a place in the North End (Italian / European type neighborhood) that is about 1200 SF and its like $2500/month. But she has no car, plan on at least another 300/mo for a parking space. Nothing in town is a bargain even in this economy.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:15 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
No one can suggest an area without information like you, such as how much you can spend (in a dollar amount), what sort of neighborhood you want (and please, don't say safe! I think everyone can agree they want that), how long a commute you can handle, etc.

What do you mean by "parking stall"? Do you need a covered/garage space? That will be very hard to come by in most city areas...

Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
No one can suggest an area without information like you, such as how much you can spend (in a dollar amount), what sort of neighborhood you want (and please, don't say safe! I think everyone can agree they want that), how long a commute you can handle, etc.

What do you mean by "parking stall"? Do you need a covered/garage space? That will be very hard to come by in most city areas...
Hey Cantabridgienne - I'm looking to spend no more than $2,500/mo on a condo (ideally 2 bedrooms). I also need to be close to work (hence, the location I indicated).

Parking stall = parking spot. Whether indoors or outside, it doesn't matter. But I do need one as I'll have a car with me.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
I think Back Bay is a great place to start. The Green Line services Chestnut Hill and Back Bay directly, so you could live anywhere along the way depending on exactly how close to the D line station hubbys Chesnut Hill employer is.

I suggest you start with Back Bay. It's great - a lot like Kensington/Westminster. Spend a few extra dollars at first, live in the heart of the city, enjoy all the amenities for a while, and then figure out ow to cut costs once you've been here a while.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:29 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,577 times
Back Bay along with Beacon Hill are typically considered the most exclusive neighborhoods in Boston and, therefore, the most expensive. I'll recommend my area - Brookline and if you want to be in an city environment with direct access to the T (metro) and walkability to shops, restaurants, etc. look specifically at the areas of Brookline in or near Coolidge Corner, Washington Square and Brookline Village.

Brookline is its own town directly adjacent to Boston, but if you're in the above-mentioned areas, you'd think you were still in Boston. It's close to Chestnut Hill and your morning commute shouldn't be much more than half an hour.

While it's not cheap, it's definitely in your budget. It's a very nice area.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:32 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
I will resist the temptation to say no, there are no other living options, and by general law all persons are required to live in the Back Bay.

There are other options. Brookline is a good one, as shiver pointed out. Newton, a prosperous semi-suburban locale next to Brookline, might work as well. It can be more suburban, but there are some village pockets where you can walk to stores, restarants, etc. Newtonville and West Newton have commuter train stations-20 mins. to Back Bay station, which is very near to your office location, which is faster than the Green Line T. Chestnut Hill is also close, as it is essentially on the Brookline/Newton border. Rentals in both areas tend to be more spacious and affordable than right in the city, and generally come with parking. On the weekend access to Boston by car is a breeze and there is much cheaper parking in the city on weekends if you can't park on the street.

Essentially the Back Bay is a great place to look if you want to be right in the action and are OK with being in a very urban environemnt, and also paying a bit more for less space. Newton is a good choice if you're interested in something quieter and less expensive (at least for rentals), with a yard and parking included. Brookline is in-between, geographically and in feel, though the neighborhoods shiver identified resemble Boston more than Newton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholezard View Post
Bean Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholezard View Post
via Metro
These are two things no local would ever say! Natives don't call Boston Beantown, or really like the name. And the transit system is called the "T." The term "T" can refer to the subway system (which itself includes some above-ground trolleys), or to the whole MBTA system, including commuter rail and buses.

"Metro" is a term used in Washington DC and other such non-Boston places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston