Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 04:51 AM

21 posts, read 29,185 times

Advertisements

To all of you folks interested in Lyons: In the past few years, Lyons schools have been rated at the highest level (I forgot if it's five-star or exactly what it is, but they are highly rated). The school ratings might be a reflection of some folks who value the 'small town' feel. I, for one, lived in Lyons for years and simply ducked out of the local politics. If you want to be involved, get involved. If you don't, no one will bug you.

Driving fourteen miles to Longmont or Boulder for groceries can get old fast, at least it did for me. Years ago in early 2005, I was calculating my gas usage very carefully and realized that one of the remaining gas stations in town had their pumps set so that each 'gallon' that went into the gas tank was not a full gallon. My car then had a readout that noted the number of gallon capacity of the tank, and the number of gallons that it would take to fill the tank. The last time that I stopped at that gas station, I was paying attention (and yes, the car's tank was nearly empty). There, the gas pump's readout noted that 23 gallons went into the car's 20-gallon gas tank!! If you count for the fact that there were probably 2 or 3 gallons left in the tank, then it becomes worse. Someone was cheating.

If you work in Boulder and live in Lyons, CO, the commute can be between 30 minutes (if you leave at 0600 in the morning) and 45 minutes, depending on your destination in Boulder.
Boulder seems to have been losing its higher-paying jobs since 2006.

Another thing to consider about Lyons is that in the summer time the drive from Boulder to Lyons is crowded with people in huge motor homes, each driving 35 miles an hour. The highway between Lyons-Boulder (Highway 36) is mostly two-lane and has very few passing zones. There used to be some nice passing zones just north of the Lake of the Pines subdivision, but the rich kept building homes along 36 there, thus requiring the roads to have double-yellow lines painted all up and down the entire straight stretch.

Hiway 36 can be a pain in the @zz most all of the time, except at maybe 3 a.m. Now-a-days, the generous constables of Boulder County think that they can CLOSE MOST OF HIWAY 36 so that the folks with bicycle-brains can have some type of race, or bicycle exercise day with complete and total disregard for the also-tax-paying and hard-working people who actually have to USE the highway to get home.

If you are a bicyclist, Lyons is your dream. If not, go to Longmont.

It takes a special person to live in Lyons, Colorado. By 'special' I mean rich. That's why I ain't there no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 10:55 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterCeptor View Post
To all of you folks interested in Lyons: In the past few years, Lyons schools have been rated at the highest level (I forgot if it's five-star or exactly what it is, but they are highly rated).
U.S News and World Report rates Lyons High School at #28 in the state, which is quite good when you consider we have over 625 high schools in Colorado.

Evergreen made #7 this year. Go Cougars!

Search Colorado High Schools | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area