Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:49 PM

97 posts, read 383,266 times

Advertisements

This is something I have been looking to do with my boyfriend and our friends for a LONG time. We are looking for a group of about 15-20 young adults (ages 18+) working together to live freely and happily in beautiful Boulder, Colorado! Ideally, we would like people around our age (your children and pets are MORE than welcome) working and living together as a family, having fun, enjoying the beauty of our earth and without having to give into the high-rising prices of living in society. Preferably, we would like to use little to no electricity and grow about 25%-50% of our own food.

As of yet, we have not worked out any annual/monthly fees but depending on the amount of people interested in helping us build this family, it may not be too much at all (this means the cost to live AT our commune would be probably under $100/month per person at the very most). Money is what should matter the LEAST here; we want this place to be as stress free as possible. There is no lease or contract involved with this.

Here is a little bit about my boyfriend and I. I am Maggie, he is Jerry. We are both twenty years old and very fun. I am looking to eventually get my license for Massage Therapy/Mental Wellness and he is just about to graduate College majoring in Videography/Editing/Camerawork. We laugh a lot, love the outdoors, adore animals, we smell alright, we work hard, we make everyone laugh, we love everyone, and everyone loves us. We drink on occasion, we smoke cigarettes, and we are extremely 420 friendly (being high is fine just do it with respect for others. We don't want ANYONE to be uncomfortable or feel pressured). Mainly we are looking for an easy-going, fun, LOVING, free, respectful, happy, "all the money goes into the pot" lifestyle. The less we have to work, the more we can really live, right? Right!

We already have a few people from around the country messaging us begging to leave some room for them - is anyone else interested? We are looking to start really trying to look for land, purchase land, and move out there next Spring (around April 2009) at the latest. We have a trip to Amsterdam that starts November 7th of this year and we aren't sure how long we are staying. Until then, we are saying April 2009! If all that are interested can't afford to make the trip or pay initial fees by April then everyone bring your tents, blankets, friends, clothes, and snacks and we will see you in the mountains!!

"You may say I’m a dreamer,
But I’m not the only one.
I hope some day you’ll join us,
And the world will live as one"

Old 07-14-2008, 03:25 PM

91 posts, read 428,584 times
I know a lot of people (not in Boulder but in general) who do shared housing like this. The main issue is that the more people you have in on something, the higher the chance that someone will flake out and not be able to pay their share of rent.

I also wonder about how easy it will be to grow lots of food in that climate. Once again, I'm just reading this forum because I'm considering a move, not because I live there.

Overall, I just wonder how maintainable it is to do this sort of thing. As a lot of people proved in the 60's, it's not as easy or fun as it sounds. Out where I live on the east coast they have the Zendiks who have turned out (if you ask ex members) to be anything but they idyllic paradise people go looking for when they join the commune.

Still, I don't want to discourage anyone from trying to do what they want. No matter how you want to live, doing it your own way and trying to find your niche is what makes life fulfilling. Maybe start out trying to find a big enough house where you can get a good group together. "Roommate situation" doesn't sound as romantic as "commune" but when you get a bunch of people living together and working together through thick and thin, it can be a very rewarding experience. It's just hard to maintain outside of a family setting because a lot of the time tensions just get too strong for friends/acquaintances to work through.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:36 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHereWeCome View Post
If all that are interested can't afford to make the trip or pay initial fees by April then everyone bring your tents, blankets, friends, clothes, and snacks and we will see you in the mountains!!

Taxpaying citizens and USFS rangers don't take too kindly to squatters in the forests. Your plan is noble, but you'll never afford any decent, arable land around the foothills of BoCo...or can your group come up with at least $1M?

Assume you have the money. Next, will the City/County allow for such a thing? They will ask about your architectural design, plans for sewage, potable water, how many people can live under one roof, etc. Adjoining landowners might not support your plans, so you may have to get (pay) lawyers to deal with all of this. Then, be concerned about our prolonged drought, and how you plan to get shares of water to grow your crops.

It sounds like too many '420' sessions might be impairing your thought process...

Old 07-14-2008, 03:50 PM

229 posts, read 750,788 times
Yeah sure, sign me up.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:36 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
Quote:
Money is what should matter the LEAST here;
well that might be a good intentioned ideal...in the area of Boulder land is VERY expensive.
You will need acerage that is large enough to farm and support (with water sewage etc..) 15-20+ people. with 20 that's only 2000/month based on your 100/month fee. Hardly enough money to cover the mortage and Taxes on the land alone.

But hey...Boulder is the one place you can probably find people who share you philosphy at least!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:34 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
this is some kind of a joke right?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:44 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
May have to skip said trip to Amsterdam and save for land.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:38 PM

227 posts, read 1,009,126 times
Wow... I don't even know where to begin with this one. Stress free, no contracts, communism, all the money goes in the pot, $100 per month, Boulder, grow own food, earth wondering, purchasing land, escaping high living expenses, working less.

I'd ask you what the heck you are smoking but I already know the answer!

You really need to step back into reality. Why are you two going to school if you don't want to work? Have you lost your mind?

I better stop. I can only make sense to rational people. Good luck. You will need it.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM

I understand the monetary value - I am willing to pay more to get more. I was not saying that money wont be needed just that we were throwing ideas out there. We really are just getting started with all of this so good AND bad thoughts are welcomed. Thank you for your input - I appreciate you all looking out. Ryanek this is not a joke, it's a nice way to live, I know many people who have successfully lived in communes for a long, long time. It just happens that I have a different outlook on how people should live than you do, that's all. Thanks for the support/criticism. I need both sides for this to really work. Does anyone have any other recommendations instead of Boulder? I find it to be so, so beautiful I want something compareable in beauty. Maybe somewhere outside of Boulder? Any suggestions? Thanks everyone.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:44 PM

Also, I never said I was not going to work? Can you show me where it says that? It says work LESS, live more. Not don't work at all. Also, we are being realistic - we are going through school as a backup plan. We could always switch from part to full time. If you want to waste your life falling into the trap society has built for you, slaving away just to barely make it - then that's on you, and I wish you luck with that. I'd rather connect with people and my environment and be happy. You only live once, if I fail, I fail. But if I'm happy - I don't see any failure in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area