Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,654 times

Advertisements

Hi, I"m about to leave for an summer internship at Boulder? Can you guys give me some general info on Boulder? Where are the safe places? And where are the places I shouldn't go? Also how good is the public transportation over there? Do I need to lease a car? My work place is around Table Mesa Dr, how good is the neighborhood around it? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:50 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,541 times
Table Mesa is in south Boulder and I think that the neighborhoods around there are pretty nice. I have known a couple people with really cool places around there, especially closer to the foothills (west, towards the mountains). I don't think any place around there would be considered unsafe. (Most of Boulder is pretty darn safe, although as a female I wouldn't want to walk around by myself in the middle of the night in certain places. Just common sense though.)

Regarding public transportation, you might be able to get by on the bus system. Plenty of CU students do. You might want to study up on the routes as you look for a place to live: http://www.rtd-denver.com/

Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM

61 posts, read 191,522 times
I think it's all relative, but I wouldn't consider any part of Boulder as necessarily "unsafe" - but I moved here after living in much bigger cities (LA, San Diego, London). Doesn't mean you want to make yourself a target, but it does mean there isn't really any particular or entire part of town you should avoid. It's an affluent city of only 90k people. Do you want to stumble home late at night drunk in the dark by yourself?... well no. I'm cautious & alert, but in my 5 years in Boulder I've almost never been fearful.

You can get around pretty well by bus, and extremely well if you cycle. Bikes are big here, and there are a ton of bike lanes, trails, and paths to take. Renting a car is good if you want to explore some of the surrounding areas like Lyons, Estes Park, Golden, anything in the high country, etc. And honestly, you really should explore - this is beautiful country! But you can find great rentals online for those weekend jaunts outside Boulder.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,653 times
Welcome, Judging from your posts on other boards I'm assuming that you live in or near Baton Rouge? Well my family and I moved to this area from New Orleans after Katrina and I can tell you it's night and day! You will love it here. Like previous posters said, there really aren't any "unsafe" areas of Boulder, but use your common sense. Public transportation is great. But there is so much to see so you might want a car to do some adventuring. Table Mesa is a nice neighborhood. As I said, I think you will love it here!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 PM

345 posts, read 1,566,991 times
Like the others have said, you can get around Boulder pretty easily on the public transportation. My son is a student at CU and has gotten around quite well between the buses and his bike. They have recently started a car-sharing program in Boulder for those times when you really need a car. It might be something to look into rather than renting a vehicle for the entire time you're there. Home | e-Go Carshare

Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Agree with all the above that Boulder is reasonably safe, and that Table Mesa is a good area. You could quite possibly live close to work, and not have to bother with a car. Do agree with Micktooth that you might want a car to get out of town, especially to the mtns, which are not particularly accesible by bus.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 AM

513 posts, read 1,581,654 times
Hey, guys, I have one more question, is it possible for me to lease a car for not too expensive monthly payment? I don't know if anybody will agree to lease a car for only 10 weeks. And from what I heard, public transit in Boulder is solid. But I just don't feel comfortable without a car.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:06 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
Hey, guys, I have one more question, is it possible for me to lease a car for not too expensive monthly payment? I don't know if anybody will agree to lease a car for only 10 weeks. And from what I heard, public transit in Boulder is solid. But I just don't feel comfortable without a car.
If you just want to be able to use a car occasionally, you might want to look into the possibility of joining Boulder's car share program:

Eligibility | e-Go Carshare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area