Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2006, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 59,752 times

Advertisements

We are looking at different places in Montana. Work in Bozeman looks potential but living is expensive. What are Belgrade, Big Sky and Livingston like? Also how are the schools? We are moving from Roswell NM and crime, gangs and drugs are rampant here and we have 4 children ages 11-3 that we want out of this place.

HELP
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 04:03 PM

462 posts, read 1,706,836 times
Belgrade is no different at this point...just an extension of Bozeman as so many have moved there trying to get farther from town...it has followed them and now it is getting expensive as well and lots of new homes. The median home price in Bozeman/Belgrade area is now $349,000.
Livingston is just a little less expensive but there is a mouintain pass with lots of snow in the winter to go over. Big Sky is a long way from Bozeman and the roads are very treacherous in the winter. NO schools there so kids have to be driven all the way back to Bozeman and it is one of the most dangerous roads in the state. Bozeman needs a new high school and wanted to buy 80 acres at $60,000 an acre to build a new school but the locals voted it down so no new school right yet.

Maybe you should look at Three Forks or even Whitehall for cheaper prices.

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 33,277 times
What ladyflyfsh said is true, the area is expensive. But it can be done, dependingon what you are looking house-wise and what type of employment you want. The schools are crowded, but they have at least recognized that and are moving forward. Belgrade schools are less crowded, an I believe Manhattan is at a very functional enrollment level. Also, if it interests you, there is Manhattan Christian School. If you log on to the Realtor.com website, you can see the current housing market. It has been growing by leaps and bounds in the valley for several years, and is only slowling slightly. Avoid Big Sky, it is built for the rich. And the road between there and Bozeman (about 45 miles) is one of the deadliest in the nation. If you want any more info, you can email me! Good luck!

Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 PM

0 posts, read 6,188 times
Default Belgrade

Hi, Belgrade is cheaper than Bozeman and it gets cheaper as you go west until about Helena. Butte is inexpensive. Three Forks is affordable and within driving distance to Bozeman for work (30 min). Big Sky is very expensive. Livingston is pretty affordable within driving distance to Bozeman. Manhattan is nice as well. [mod]realtor advertising[/mod]

Last edited by Marka; 11-08-2006 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: read the rules, please

Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 AM

51 posts, read 230,831 times
Hi!

Just hope you will broaden your horizons and look at other parts of MT. The NE corner is a great place to live --- much MUCH cheaper than the parts you have listed. Also there is les crime, gangs and drugs. Schools score higher and are also less crowded. As far as jobs go, it is growing here with many new projects (wind farm, oil refinery, and lg indoor swimming pool) in the works -- hospital, FWP, Corp of Engineer, railroad, construction, schools are good places for jobs too. Fishing, hunting, boating, hockey, skateboard, swimming as well as all school sports here for your kids too. We are a very friendly community -- take a look at Glasgow. If you want more info. let me know.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,035 times
Smile Welcome Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton6 View Post
We are looking at different places in Montana. Work in Bozeman looks potential but living is expensive. What are Belgrade, Big Sky and Livingston like? Also how are the schools? We are moving from Roswell NM and crime, gangs and drugs are rampant here and we have 4 children ages 11-3 that we want out of this place.

HELP
Dont let home prices scare you there are many homes on the market that would meet the needs of your family,and the cost of living is managable in any of the areas you are looking at. If you are able to endure a small commute there are many other areas you can look at.I live near Townsend which is about 60 miles from Bozangelous and thirty miles from Helena. I work out of both cities and enjoy the drive. With consideration to other schools in the country our systems are wonderful, and the great outdoors is an education in itself. I have 4 children also ages 3m-10y and would not consider living in any other state.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:15 PM

7 posts, read 33,841 times
SDCOWGIRL's post is offensive. There are no serious problems with gangs, drugs or crime in the areas you're considering. NE Montana is a desolate place and for good reason. I've been in Livingston for 15 years, having come here from Boston. My husband (who I met here) is from L.A. and we have been pretty happy here, though the prices lately have gone through the roof. Big Sky has Ophir School, but it is an isolated community, where you are either working in the service industry or you are wealthy enough to live on a ski hill. Belgrade is a bedroom community to Bozeman, (and also home to the Bozeman airport) and the schools are pretty fair. Schools in Livingston are fine up to high school, and now that our son is 12, we're leaving to find better educational opportunities for him. The pass is not a big issue for most people who commute, though good snow tires are a must. Your best bet is to come out for a visit to get a feel for these communities to find the one that suits you best. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:12 AM

Default Not Desolate

Just want to reply to Larkin --- NE Montana is NOT desolate it is very simply rural and a totally different type of life than what you have in western MT. As far as drugs, crime and gangs, it may be as you said you have no serious problems with any of those items BUT we have NO problems with any of them.
Also our cost of living is cheaper and our schools are not just fair but score higher becuase we have smaller teacher/student ratio.
I think perhaps your remarks are offensive.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:38 AM

529 posts, read 1,892,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcowgirl View Post
Just want to reply to Larkin --- NE Montana is NOT desolate it is very simply rural and a totally different type of life than what you have in western MT. As far as drugs, crime and gangs, it may be as you said you have no serious problems with any of those items BUT we have NO problems with any of them.
Also our cost of living is cheaper and our schools are not just fair but score higher becuase we have smaller teacher/student ratio.
I think perhaps your remarks are offensive.
I concur

Western Montana, and other locations along the I-90 corridor are so much more apt to have to deal with the issues of drugs and crime.

Those who have lived their entire lives in Montana already know this.
Those who have not lived too long in Montana, should get out more and visit their state, in order to become more aware of just where the actual drug hot spots are.

I can see where someone from larger urban areas from outside of the state would think that North Eastern Montana would be desolate, when the fact of the matter is, that it is not.

Places like Missoula, Hamilton, Kalispell, Bozeman and yes, even Livingston, couldn't really rock anyones world quite like the real life living that happens over in Glasgow, and the surrounding areas.

I suggest that in the future, we all might consider not commenting on areas of Montana that we ourselves haven't personally experienced or visited. Commenting on areas of the state that we might not be wholly familiar with, doesn't do any good for those wishing to move here. I would think that as Montanans, we would supply info with a little more accuracy when someone comes to us with a question.

It is clearly obvious to me that Larkin hasn't really experienced how things are in NE Montana......

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 12-27-2006 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: edited for content

Old 12-28-2006, 09:47 AM

Default Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks and I totally agree we need to speak only to what we know about. For people who are moving they really need to check out all parts of the state to see what "best" suites what they are looking for in their lifestyle. I will however say that those who are coming from big cities and busy lifestyles may be in for a shock soooooo please visit this state so you know you will be happy here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
I concur

Western Montana, and other locations along the I-90 corridor are so much more apt to have to deal with the issues of drugs and crime.

Those who have lived their entire lives in Montana already know this.
Those who have not lived too long in Montana, should get out more and visit their state, in order to become more aware of just where the actual drug hot spots are.

I can see where someone from larger urban areas from outside of the state would think that North Eastern Montana would be desolate, when the fact of the matter is, that it is not.

Places like Missoula, Hamilton, Kalispell, Bozeman and yes, even Livingston, couldn't really rock anyones world quite like the real life living that happens over in Glasgow, and the surrounding areas.

I suggest that in the future, we all might consider not commenting on areas of Montana that we ourselves haven't personally experienced or visited. Commenting on areas of the state that we might not be wholly familiar with, doesn't do any good for those wishing to move here. I would think that as Montanans, we would supply info with a little more accuracy when someone comes to us with a question.

It is clearly obvious to me that Larkin hasn't really experienced how things are in NE Montana......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman