Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:25 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times

Advertisements

I think a move like that would devastate Montana. First, Montana would be hard pressed to come up with the money and what it would take to make this happen. Second, the beauty of Montana would be exposed to Millions of people, Hundreds of Thousands would visit and a lot would decide that Montana was the place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 AM

34 posts, read 98,255 times
I don't think Boze would be able to handle it, but worse yet you just never know, some years we just don't get much snow, I guess they could make it but it's not as reliable inthat sense for the events like xcountry say.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 PM

24 posts, read 125,438 times
Unless Montana taxpayers are prepared to provide the tax dollars to construct countless Olympic structures at enormous costs, only to stand empty in following decades, the winter games will not come to Bozeman. This has commonly been the case at all locations in the recent past...Calgary, SLC. If larger cities cannot find uses for such structures, then how can Bozeman? Seriously, put that funding to much better uses, and if that means an aim of creating top ski resorts to attract tourist dollars, then so be it. But, we need a serious and realistic plan for Montana's future, not one that drains tax dollars from the state as a whole to benefit a segment of the state for a short amount of time, and with false promise. No thanks Judy Martz.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I think a move like that would devastate Montana. First, Montana would be hard pressed to come up with the money and what it would take to make this happen. Second, the beauty of Montana would be exposed to Millions of people, Hundreds of Thousands would visit and a lot would decide that Montana was the place to live.
I think the above sums it up quite accurately. Plus, IMHO there are enough "people" that consider Montana their home (either full-time or part-time), and realize what would happen to this state (particularly Gallatin County) if this were to ever occur.
The "people" I am referring to are those that: #1:keep a very low profile; #2: wield a great deal of power and influence (both politically and otherwise) as to what happens in this state; #3: would "gain nothing" if this would occur and #4: see their "way-of-life" changed forever.

I don't think it has a 'chance-in-hell'........thank God! Again......Just my opinion.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 PM

239 posts, read 687,673 times
The idea of Montana hosting the Winter Olympics is almost laughable. Has anyone been through Salt Lake City and witnessed the freeway system they built to accommodate their Olympics? Montana can not spend that kind of money to host a two week event. One hockey rink will not be enough either.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:18 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,091 times
Bozeman hosting the winter olympics? A Horrible idea! A move like that would destroy the place, and furthermore whoever came up with a crackpot idea like that should be forced into exile from Montana forever!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,157,944 times
Better yet, exile them to wherever the winter Olympics finally wind up. And put them in charge of the economic cleanup.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Here's another reason why hosting the Olympics is a dreadful idea:

Eyes turn to "value for money" London 2012* - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100303/r_t_rtrs_ts_other/tts-uk-olympics-london-ca02f96_2.html?printer=1 - broken link)

Note especially this section:
POLICE POWERS

Police will have powers to enter private homes and seize posters, and will be able to stop people carrying non-sponsor items to sporting events.

"I think there will be lots of people doing things completely innocently who are going to be caught by this, and some people will be prosecuted, while others will be so angry about it that they will start complaining about civil liberties issues," Chadwick said.

"I think what it will potentially do is to prompt a debate about the commercial nature of the Games. Do big sponsors have too much influence over the Games?"
If you still gotta ask, you'll never figure it out...

Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
GamesBids.com - Preparations Are Underway for a 2022 Olympic Winter Games Bid in Montana, USA

Can this be pulled off? There will be competition from Denver and Reno/Tahoe area.

Denver will never get the Olympics b/c of the past history of 1976. That's a fact!

Reno/Tahoe area (Squaw Valley) may have a chance.

Bozeman?

The pros and cons....Discuss
Since we are "an open-carry-state", I think all of us Montanans who own a firearm(s) should "open-carry" when attending any public function that might conceivably have this topic up for discussion. ....................

Really..................wouldn't that be something to see the expressions (after seeing "gun toting Montanans sit in the front row) on the faces of those (and we know who "those" are) who would be naiev enough to think that the state would benefit from this implausible possibility.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:43 PM

Haha, Griz, that's quite an image! Now, imagine all those competitors from countries whose governments have already disarmed their subjects, er, I mean citizens... the looks on their faces would be priceless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman