Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:48 PM

14 posts, read 49,204 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me the difference between Merritt Island & Viera. They both seem to have great schools, we are mainly interested in the High schools. One of the difference I see is that Viera seems very clean, but also there does not seem to be much room/land. Merritt island has more of that old florida charm and everything seems to be in central Merritt Island, North Merritt Island seems very nice. Everything I've read always puts these two on top...Any comments would be greatly welcomed!!! We are trying to chose between the two. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:52 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Viera is typical new construction cookie cutter housing that will begin to go downhill in 7-10 years prompting construction of a new community for those who didn't pay for upkeep of their formerly new houses in Viera. That's kind of how it works in most communities like that in Florida. Merritt Island is a well-established city built largely in the 1970s (some newer) where much of it has shown pride of ownership in terms of upkeep and upgrades over the years. Being more coastal you'll find more native Florida plants/trees as opposed to the native scrub of the Viera area. As you can tell I'm a fan of established neighborhoods versus disposable, so I would most recommend Merritt Island. As you said the schools are quite good and have been for years, plus you're near the beach and centrally-located. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 AM

732 posts, read 968,311 times
I'm not really a fan of either but there is good to say about both too, and some issues.

If I were moving to Merritt Island I would try to buy 20 acres and grow exotic tropical fruit or something like that. If I had a spare few million I might consider south merritt island, as it looks like terrific estate type homes, though many of those might have been built way before the big runup and they probably did not pay millions. I would hate merritt island if I commuted far, unless maybe I lived right next to 528. Everytime I go to merritt island from melbourne it takes forever, and I can get to Cape Canaveral from Melbourne faster than most places in merritt using 528. Merritt is for slo go, and not much go elsewhere, but of course you can buy next to 528.

If I wanted the convenience of living next to I-95 I would consider Viera and its baseball stadium, malls, etc. It also has that new high school which I think has to be better than Merritt islands which is kind of in not the best area only a few blocks southwest of it and maybe a few other places. But Viera high has that explosive growth and who knows how the high school handles it since they give out "A" grades to everything here who really knows? I take a negative stance when I see all "A" and tend not to belive much. I tend to agree that Viera will have a downturn in the future someday, as the prices are very high and the quality no better for the most part than any where else in the county. I really see no reason to pay that premium. But Viera is trendy for now and some of that may stay for quite awhile.

I hope some of that helps.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:55 PM

14 posts, read 49,204 times
thanks for all the great info. We like both places, but we are leaning toward Merritt Island. I like the fact that you can live in N or S Merritt Island and be away from everything, but just a short drive and you have everything you need in central. I live in the Northeast, so where we live now I would consider it like a central MI, everything right there, sometimes its nice to escape!!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM

7 posts, read 21,446 times
FWIW because we haven't even moved down there yet for good; Viera = cookie cutter and expensive, Merritt Island = personality and more house for what you pay. Viera looks like a nice place to visit but we don't want to live there.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
There's no way of knowing that Viera is going to go downhill or improve. Same with Merritt island. I'm sure none would have thought it could have happened to a lot of South Florida. Both areas are nice. The thing that would affect my decision would be Elevation, Evacuations, and Insurance. You would do well to research these things before making a decision.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:48 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
There's no way of knowing that Viera is going to go downhill or improve. Same with Merritt island. I'm sure none would have thought it could have happened to a lot of South Florida.
It's not limited to South Florida, it happens all over the US. The people that want shiny brand new don't want to deal with upkeep in general so they move in and many let everything go to pot until they sell and move out to another disposable home. Meanwhile the original neighborhood hits the skids because home values suffer and a lesser class of residents move in or it's overrun by rentals. The pattern is clear as day if one stops to analyze/look around. This doesn't happen in all neighborhoods, but I see it often in the under 300K market.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:46 PM

18 posts, read 43,768 times
Default Viera/Suntree... Like living in Stepford....

Remember the movie 'The Stepford Wives'. I lived there 7 years ago and didn't like it; perfect kids, perfect families, houses, yards, dogs... But now... guess what I want to move back (and we are!) I like the clean appeal, the new stores, hospital, schools, and coffee at Panera Bread. I like going to Publix and seeing everyone nicely dressed; not like NYC, but it is refreshing. Folks use to complain about the lack of trees, but they have grown in the last 7 years. By golly, it is so darn nice that if I ever get pulled over for speeding, I'm sure the officer will hand me a latte along with my ticket!

Suntree/Viera is beautiful!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not limited to South Florida, it happens all over the US. The people that want shiny brand new don't want to deal with upkeep in general so they move in and many let everything go to pot until they sell and move out to another disposable home. Meanwhile the original neighborhood hits the skids because home values suffer and a lesser class of residents move in or it's overrun by rentals. The pattern is clear as day if one stops to analyze/look around. This doesn't happen in all neighborhoods, but I see it often in the under 300K market.
In your previous post you said Viera will go down hill in 7-10 years. I have a friend in Hammock Lakes. His neighborhood was built in 1994. Looks pretty good to me. I think you have preconceived notions.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 9,824 times
Default the most economical place to rent for 55+ couple

we live in Raleigh, want to move by the end of this year. Only been here 9 months and just not from us. We are from NY i like shopping malls, whole foods and trader joes any suggestions.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County