Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Buddhists (non-Christian ones) go to hell?
Yes 38 12.18%
No 241 77.24%
I don't know. 33 10.58%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Hell is very real, as the testimony of Scripture shows; and if Jesus isn't your Lord and Savior, you will go there for all eternity.
Silly people believe silly things.

Thankfully, most people aren't silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 10:56 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Not that many are as old as we are, sis...and we have lost many book readers, don't you find?
Yes, indeed. But not me. I will read books until I can't see any more, and then I'll listen to audio.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:31 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
But that is not what my cousin, who is a dye-in-the-wool Calvinist, preaches (he is a real-life preacher, by the way albeit a small church in a small town). He teaches and believes, as does RC Sproul, the really BIG honcho on Calvinism, in double-predestination--that is that the Bible teaches that God destined some of us for heaven AND He destined some of us for hell. Meaning that we are incapable of making a free-will decision for ourselves. If God destined us for heaven, then even if we don't want to go God will irresistibly DRAW US to Himself, while those He destined for hell, presumably even they would have wanted to be saved otherwise, will just live their lives in ignorance and then be cast into hell to burn forever. They never had a snowball's chance in hell-----literally speaking.

Apparently, the key verse here is John "No one can come to me except the Spirit of God draws Him" That effectively eliminates our freewill, as does the doctrine of double-predestination. But supposedly Paul taught double-predestination according to the Calvinists.
Calvinism is the evil nightmare of human imagination. It is beyond preposterous.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:25 AM

8 posts, read 2,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43u1sam View Post
If a "christian" accepts Jesus, but lives a morally abhorrent life by most people's logic here they would go to heaven, solely for the fact they accepted christ. If we are judged by our actions then faith would not matter.
Any body of any religion who does bad deeds like illegal sex, corruption, violence etc will go to hell for reformation whatever may be his or her religion. You cannot please God by doings sins and no following His commandments. Religion is a path. We can reach city center by walking in any path we like. Like wise all religions leads to the same God.

If anyone says that his/her religion is the only path to God and that other paths lead to hell, I have one humble question. The question is for every religion without any trace of partiality. The simple question is: Today I have heard your Religion and if I follow that, I reach God and if I refuse I will go to the hell for my own fault. This is very much reasonable. But before your ancestors discovered our country, the literature or even the name of your religion was not known to our ancestor and he could not reach God for no fault of him. But your ancestor reached God through your religion at that time.

Even if I assume that my ancestor will take rebirth now and will follow your religion to reach God, such possibility is ruled out because you say that there is no rebirth for the soul. Thus my ancestor suffered forever for no fault of him and the responsibility for this falls on the partiality of God. Had the God been impartial, He could have revealed your religion to all the countries at a time. Had that happened, my ancestor might have also reached God as your ancestor. Therefore your statement proves your own God partial.

The only way left over to you to make your God impartial is that you must accept that your God appeared in all the countries at a time in various forms and preached your path in various languages. The same form did not appear everywhere and the same language does not exist everywhere. The syllabus and explanation are one and the same, though the media and teachers are different. Can you give any alternative reasonable answer to my question other than this? Certainly not! Any person of any religion to any other religion can pose this question.

Moreover every religion states that their God only created this world. Unfortunately this world is one only and every God cannot create the same world. There are no many worlds to justify that each God created His own world. Therefore any human being with an iota of commonsense has to agree that there is only one impartial God who created this one world and He came in different forms to different countries and preached the same path in all the languages simultaneously at one time.

Let this logic sword of the divine knowledge cut the rigid conservatism of the religious fans in this world to establish the Universal Peace. I need not beg all these religious followers to be united and harmonious to each other for the sake of world peace. Such begging appeals are made enough in the past. The religious fans feel that there is no unity really in the religions but they have to be united since their kind hearts melted by these appeals. Thus a temporary change was only brought. At the maximum one generation of the followers got united. The next generation fights with each other because they feel that there is no real unity in them due to lack of the real unity in their religious scriptures.

A permanent solution for this does not lie in the begging appeals, which may or may not unite the followers. Even if the appeals unite such unity is not permanent. If the real unity in all the religious scriptures is exposed through the logical divine knowledge, the followers have to be united for generations together. Therefore, My attack is not on the hearts of the followers through love and kindness. My attack is on all the religious scriptures through intellectual logical analysis of divine knowledge. The unity of hearts through love can be only temporary. The unity of brains through intellectual analytical divine knowledge will be permanent. Hearts agree but brains realize. Agreement is temporary, but realization is permanent. Thus this is My first blow of My divine Conch shell for the permanent unity of all the religions aiming at eternal Universal Peace.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:32 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Calvinism is the evil nightmare of human imagination. It is beyond preposterous.
Calvin taught election (and not just Calvin, but also Augustine and Martin Luther, for example) because the Bible teaches it. And, in fact, contrary to your assertions, this doctrine so undermines human pride and self-righteousness while exalting the sovereignty and dominion of God that it would never be conceived of by man. Anthropocentric religion worships at the altar of the self-righteousness and the putative free will of man. The Bible teaches the sovereignty and dominion of God over His creation (Romans 9:20). The Bible teaches that God chooses whom He wishes to save and call His own (Acts 13:48; Romans 8:28-39, 9:18; Ephesians 1:3-6, 11; John 1:12-13, 3:3-8, 6:44, 10:26-29, 15:16; Revelation 13:8, 17:8).

Old 07-21-2019, 12:01 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Calvin taught election (and not just Calvin, but also Augustine and Martin Luther, for example) because the Bible teaches it. And, in fact, contrary to your assertions, this doctrine so undermines human pride and self-righteousness while exalting the sovereignty and dominion of God that it would never be conceived of by man. Anthropocentric religion worships at the altar of the self-righteousness and the putative free will of man. The Bible teaches the sovereignty and dominion of God over His creation (Romans 9:20). The Bible teaches that God chooses whom He wishes to save and call His own (Acts 13:48; Romans 8:28-39, 9:18; Ephesians 1:3-6, 11; John 1:12-13, 3:3-8, 6:44, 10:26-29, 15:16; Revelation 13:8, 17:8).
And this post is related to Buddhism in what way?

Old 07-21-2019, 01:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And this post is related to Buddhism in what way?
It's like a courtroom ...someone, Thril, brought up Calvin and now it's fair game to cross.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:26 PM

950 posts, read 691,654 times
Quote:
Hell is very real, as the testimony of Scripture shows; and if Jesus isn't your Lord and Savior, you will go there for all eternity.
You claim that all of the Non-christians will go to Hell for eternity. How contradictory of you because you Fundies believe the newborn babies that die at birth go to Heaven even though they are UNsaved too. So the Unsaved go to paradise as well, then. And no, the babies are not innocent at all because in Romans 3:23, it says that "All have sin." Obviously ALL would include those Unsaved babies too. So because those Unsaved babies go to Paradise, then so do Buddhists and Pagans.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:18 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
You claim that all of the Non-christians will go to Hell for eternity. How contradictory of you because you Fundies believe the newborn babies that die at birth go to Heaven even though they are UNsaved too. So the Unsaved go to paradise as well, then. And no, the babies are not innocent at all because in Romans 3:23, it says that "All have sin." Obviously ALL would include those Unsaved babies too. So because those Unsaved babies go to Paradise, then so do Buddhists and Pagans.
I'm not totally sure of the logic....but I agree with the general premise.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:40 PM

144 posts, read 158,761 times
Enough of this non sense. Seriously . There are many religions that predate Christianity . Whatever religion you belong to is how you believe . If one wishes to convert then do so. Claiming people from other religions will spend eternity in a Christian idea of hell is absurd and disrespectful to others beliefs. Freedom of religion should cover the my god is better than your god argument. I’m not gonna tell anyone they’re going to hell cause I’m not God and it’s a smack in the face to the divine to make another person feel that way . Rejoice , love and spread the word to those who want to hear. Otherwise , mind your own and allow others the same respect without all the hell BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism