Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:58 AM

122 posts, read 352,143 times

Advertisements

Also, I have heard that sometimes people live in Batavia to be the half way commute in between both Buffalo and Rochester. How of a commute is that from Batavia to Rochester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 09:14 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,273 times
Thats kinda of a halfway point between the two cities. So, 45 mins roughly either way. I know a couple who does that, the husband attends UB, and the wife works in Rochester. I don't know alot about Batavia, but it does seem to have built up in the last ten years. They fixed up the main streets and decorated the city, plus the big box stores moved in, so my guess is that Batavia is growing.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM

76 posts, read 169,076 times
From what I've seen of both cities, I feel they have a very similar culture. In both cities you tend to go downtown for museums, arts, liver performances, sports, etc. From a cost perspective Rochester professional sports event tickets are less expensive since the teams play in minor leagues. This makes for a fun family outing with the kids. Just about every community in Rochester has good restaurants, so you won't have to drive too far. You'll also find most of the same chain-based restaurants you are used to in D.C. And for the most part the neighborhoods are friendly, although each person is different in how quickly they open up to new neighbors. As far as traffic and getting around, you will be very surprised coming from D.C. Rochester experiences it's own rush hour, but the gridlock is not like what you are used to. Depending on where you live and where you work will affect your commute, but not by too much. I've now got a reverse commute, and leave from my east side suburb in Rochester to go to a farther east side suburb, so my commute isn't as typical. but I used to work downtown, and even in stop and go traffic it wouldn't take me more than 25 minutes to get to work, or get home. And if I adjusted my time by about 15 minutes (leave early, work late) I could cut my commute to under 10 minutes.

I hope that helps you better understand the dynamics of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySzymanski View Post
Thanks!!! As an aside, do you find that coming from living in Cheektowaga and now Rochester, does Rochester have a similar feel to the overall Buffalo region (not meaning the downtown per say but overall)? I am thinking of the overall culture of how I see the region: friendly, down to earth people, lots of good food establishments, safe, ease in getting around ("everything is 15minutes away"), dealable traffic? (BTW I would be coming from the DC region where the last two items I mentioned are horrific).

Old 06-15-2010, 06:10 PM

15 posts, read 60,913 times
Pittsford Fairport Canadaigua

Old 06-16-2010, 06:47 AM

Again, thanks for the responses!! :-)

Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 AM

744 posts, read 1,767,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooando View Post
From what I've seen of both cities, I feel they have a very similar culture. In both cities you tend to go downtown for museums, arts, liver performances, sports, etc..
I generally go to my corner bar for my liver performance

Old 06-16-2010, 08:38 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Also, if you are considering other areas not too much further in Upstate NY, in the Syracuse area, Fayetteville, Manlius, DeWitt and Skaneateles would be similar. In the Binghamton area, Vestal would work. In the Ithaca area, Lansing would be similar. In the Elmira area, Horseheads might work. In the Utica-Rome area, New Hartford and Clinton would fit.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 AM

This may be opening a can of worms or worthy of its own thread, but is there a website or personal experience on what the taxes are in Rochester? Income/property/county/state---? Did I forget anything? I think sales is now close to 9%? Thanks!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:29 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
This may be opening a can of worms or worthy of its own thread, but is there a website or personal experience on what the taxes are in Rochester? Income/property/county/state---? Did I forget anything? I think sales is now close to 9%? Thanks!
There is a website floating around on the NY forums that show property tax rates on average. I guess you can google "Democrat & Chronicle tax rates" and the website will pop up.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:36 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,084,462 times
Quote:
Monroe County (Rochester) sales tax rate is 8%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area