Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:57 PM

122 posts, read 352,389 times

Advertisements

Just curious as far as the "feel" or "vibe" of Williamsville or Amherst area in Rochester? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,046 times
Williamsville and Amherst have some uppity parts. But, in general I would say Henrietta is the closest. Mainly because it is not the richest area of Rochester, and it has alot of college life, ie RIT vs. UB. Amherst is more suburban than city, a few areas that start to look rural, although they are drowning fast, Henrietta has the same problem. Both have large shopping centers on a strip, Jefferson vs. Niagara Falls blvd. Both have decent malls Marketplace vs. the Boulevard Mall.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:54 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Some might say Pittsford or Brighton due to being known as the most affluent communities in the area and Amherst(Snyder) and Brighton both have their "old money" looking neighborhoods.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the responses. I am considering having us look into Rochester as an alternative if we cannot find a job in Buffalo. Do you all think it is realistic to live in Rochester and still feel close proximity wise to Buffalo for ease of visits? We are wanting to raise our kids near family in Buffalo. However do not want to feel like we are really far and have to do "road trips" to visit. Sorry if my question is a bit vague or doesn't make a lot of sense.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Also I want to add that I love your usernames--ckthankgod and Cheese9988. I am wondering what the ck stands for and if it wasn't already taken I would have used Cheese! Thanks to both of you for your help!! :-)

Old 06-13-2010, 08:00 PM

I think of Pittsford and Lewiston being closely related. Older, expensive, upper class homes. Snobby people, etc. The "downtown" areas are a little different, thats all.

Thanks for the compliment!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:13 AM

76 posts, read 169,219 times
I feel it is definitely possible to live in Rochester and maintain ties with Buffalo. My wife and I live in Rochester and have a 5 year old son, but seem to get back to Buffalo (well Cheektowaga) a couple times per month to visit her parents, or have her parents watch our son. Door to door for us is about an hour to an hour and ten minutes. Depending on where in the Rochester area you are, you could head back to Buffalo for dinner and get your kids home for bed without having to stay the night.

I have to agree with ckhthankgod that either Pittsford or Brighton would be good options to consider.

Good luck with the job search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySzymanski View Post
Thanks for the responses. I am considering having us look into Rochester as an alternative if we cannot find a job in Buffalo. Do you all think it is realistic to live in Rochester and still feel close proximity wise to Buffalo for ease of visits? We are wanting to raise our kids near family in Buffalo. However do not want to feel like we are really far and have to do "road trips" to visit. Sorry if my question is a bit vague or doesn't make a lot of sense.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:31 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
You can definitely have ties to Buffalo living in Rochester. I play on sports leagues where guys drive in from Buffalo to play. I have season tickets to the Bills and drive to games regularly. I go to concerts in Buffalo and people from Buffalo go to concerts here. Very easy to do.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks!!! As an aside, do you find that coming from living in Cheektowaga and now Rochester, does Rochester have a similar feel to the overall Buffalo region (not meaning the downtown per say but overall)? I am thinking of the overall culture of how I see the region: friendly, down to earth people, lots of good food establishments, safe, ease in getting around ("everything is 15minutes away"), dealable traffic? (BTW I would be coming from the DC region where the last two items I mentioned are horrific).

Old 06-14-2010, 10:54 PM

it is definitely possible. We drive back and forth once or twice a month. More than that and it starts to get old. You may want to consider an western suburb if you plan on a weekly commute. Henrietta is closer to the 90, south of the city, and I still think it is more similar to Amherst. The taxes and cost of living will be cheaper than Brighton or Pittsford. Brighton and Pittsford are the richer suburbs. They have nice homes however, and the last time I checked, the best schools in the Rochester metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area