Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:12 PM

11 posts, read 34,303 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Fredonia, but I just got a job in Buffalo near the Peace Bridge. I'm going to be starting around the end of September and would like to find an apartment closer sometime in October.
I'm a 25 year old woman who is going to be living alone, with my boyfriend visiting every so often, so I'd like a safe area. Also, I have a cat so I need somewhere that's pet friendly.
What I can afford is $500/month. I'd prefer to have everything included, or pay rent that's cheaper if it's not included.
Can anybody advise me on where to look, areas to avoid, etc? I'd like to be 15-20 minutes driving distance and I'd prefer to be somewhere between the Niagara region and Fredonia.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 11,887 times
Look in Kenmore, Cheektowaga, West Seneca area..All easy access to the 33 and 90 to get you to work. Stay away from the peace bridge area to live for sure. The drive will be worth it. Check craigslist for rentals.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 AM

11 posts, read 34,303 times
Here are some of the neighborhoods that have affordable apartments that I've found:

Sheridan (Parkside)
Pine Ridge Road (Cheektowaga)
Lackawanna
Channing Road in Tonawanda
Elmwood Avenue (Allentown?)
Parkside @ Jewitt (near the Delaware Park)
Johnson Park
Clarence
Fargo @ Pennsylvania, which is actually very close to where I'll be working.
Briscoe @ Walden (near Schiller Park)
Hazelwood in Lackawana
Florida Ave. (in Cold Springs?)
Martha Avenue (Kenfield?)
Clarence Ave (LaSalle?)
500's on Virginia St. Allentown?
Fernald in Lackawanna
Kelsey in West Seneca
West Ferry at Breckenridge (Grant Ferry?)
Tremont in North Tonawanda
2439 Delaware

Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 AM

744 posts, read 1,767,409 times
I would say Clarence and North Tonawanda would be the safest by far. I would stay away from Lackawanna for aesthetic purposes alone :-)

Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Quote:
Lackawanna, Hazelwood in Lackawana, Fernald in Lackawanna
Id stay out of Lackawanna, its not that the whole town is bad but its very hit or miss & the bad neighborhoods spill over into many of the nicer areas. Unless you know the town real good I would just avoid it altogether.

Quote:
Briscoe @ Walden (near Schiller Park), Pine Ridge Road (Cheektowaga), Martha Avenue (Kenfield?)
Avoid like the plague .....Shiller Park is in East Buffalo Hood. Pine Ridge Road is only a few blocks to the east & isnt a much better area. Kenfield is pretty much the northern edge of the east Buffalo Hood. Take a look at a map of Buffalo, follow 33 out of downtown until it reaches I90, then follow 90 down until you come to 190 then follow 190 back to downtown come back up Michigan until you run back into 33 ............. stay away from anything inside of that area. Not all of it is bad but most of it is & the areas that arent bad are too close for comfort from bad areas.

Quote:
West Ferry at Breckenridge (Grant Ferry?)
Ferry & Breckenridge dont cross they run parallel to each other. if the location is between Richmond & Elmwood its not too bad ...... as you head west from Richmond it gets worse.

Quote:
Elmwood Avenue (Allentown?), 500's on Virginia St. Allentown?, 2439 Delaware
Majority of Elmwood & Delaware are going to be safe, 2439 Delaware is just below Kenmore & should be a decent area. Virginia St isnt too bad either but its another one of those areas where it gets bad not too far away.

Quote:
Sheridan (Parkside), Parkside @ Jewitt (near the Delaware Park)
Sheridan doesnt run anywhere near Parkside, it is located between Kenmore & Tonawanda & runs east through Amherst. The majority of it is going to mainly be commercial but I would consider most of it safe.

Parkside/Jewett is a good area. Parkside is one of the nicer (and safer) neighborhoods within the city of Buffalo.

Quote:
Kelsey in West Seneca
Nice neighborhood but only a few blocks up Seneca (once you cross I90) it can get a little more sketchy.

Quote:
Clarence
Clarence is a safe somewhat upscale suburb. Doesnt matter where you are within the village its safe.

Quote:
Fargo @ Pennsylvania, which is actually very close to where I'll be working.
I'd stay away.

Quote:
Johnson Park
There is a N & S Johnson park just above the Chippewa Strip. If you are into partying & what not it might not be too bad ........ otherwise you might not like it as I'd think it might get a little crazy in the evening.

Quote:
Florida Ave. (in Cold Springs?), Clarence Ave (LaSalle?)
I wouldnt say that these are bad areas but both are in middle class neighborhoods that are predominantly African American. If you're not African American you may not be comfortable or feel out of place but thats really up to you & your preferences. Unfortunately, like a lot of the bigger cities in the northeast, Buffalo is very segregated so you just dont see different races living in harmony in too many of the neighborhoods.

Quote:
Channing Road in Tonawanda, Tremont in North Tonawanda
I cant find a Channing Rd in Tonawanda only a Channing Place. The majority of Tonawanda is safe. Tremont in NT isnt going to be a problem either.

Last edited by jblake78728; 09-14-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 12:04 PM

18 posts, read 77,925 times
Sheridan Drive and Parkside Avenue are indeed far apart, but I believe Sheridan (Parkside) as used by jilllllie refers to the Sheridan Parkside area of the Town of Tonawanda, off Sheridan Drive a little bit west of Military Rd. In fact there is a Sheridan Parkside Drive. Sheridan Parkside is to a large extent a project, the T of T is known as a pretty safe area but if any of its neighborhoods are shaky this would be one of them, though perhaps not as bad as some of the areas in Buffalo you listed. Channing Place is right nearby and in fact might be considered part of Sheridan Parkside. I personally would avoid it, maybe some would disagree. At least the T of T police response is likely quicker than Buffalo's if there's trouble. I would take Tremont Street in NT, I'm very familiar with that area. A problem with both Sheridan Parkside and Tremont Street is it would not meet your desire to be between the Peace Bridge area and Fredonia. Both are somewhat north, especially NT.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmhNL View Post
Sheridan Drive and Parkside Avenue are indeed far apart, but I believe Sheridan (Parkside) as used by jilllllie refers to the Sheridan Parkside area of the Town of Tonawanda, off Sheridan Drive a little bit west of Military Rd. In fact there is a Sheridan Parkside Drive. Sheridan Parkside is to a large extent a project, the T of T is known as a pretty safe area but if any of its neighborhoods are shaky this would be one of them, though perhaps not as bad as some of the areas in Buffalo you listed. Channing Place is right nearby and in fact might be considered part of Sheridan Parkside. I personally would avoid it, maybe some would disagree. At least the T of T police response is likely quicker than Buffalo's if there's trouble. I would take Tremont Street in NT, I'm very familiar with that area. A problem with both Sheridan Parkside and Tremont Street is it would not meet your desire to be between the Peace Bridge area and Fredonia. Both are somewhat north, especially NT.
Ok, over by the golf course, that makes sense now.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 17,919 times
can someone tell me how Hart STreet (i guess between Bedford and Stuyvesant) as far as the neighborhood is concerned? i live in san francisco and never been to NY. the zip code of the apartment someone suggested is 11206. is this neighborhood safe?

please if someone can tell me asap?
thank you.
mother2010

Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM

719 posts, read 1,552,899 times
The zip code you mention is in Brooklyn... You should pose your question on the NYC board as Buffalo is 375 miles from Brooklyn!
You can find info on that zip at: http://www.city-data.com/zips/11206.html
It appears to be a low income area with a majority of people being Hispanic (over 50%) and about 33% Black.

Last edited by BigD_JT_14221; 09-14-2010 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Added CD link

Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilllllie View Post
I'm currently living in Fredonia, but I just got a job in Buffalo near the Peace Bridge. I'm going to be starting around the end of September and would like to find an apartment closer sometime in October.
I'm a 25 year old woman who is going to be living alone, with my boyfriend visiting every so often, so I'd like a safe area. Also, I have a cat so I need somewhere that's pet friendly.
What I can afford is $500/month. I'd prefer to have everything included, or pay rent that's cheaper if it's not included.
Can anybody advise me on where to look, areas to avoid, etc? I'd like to be 15-20 minutes driving distance and I'd prefer to be somewhere between the Niagara region and Fredonia.
Thanks in advance!
You live in Fredonia, and you are asking people on the internet to rate areas of buffalo for safety?

Take a drive up here, and drive around all the areas you are looking at. It is pretty obvious which ones you want to live in, and which ones you do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area