Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 104,689 times

Advertisements

Will be driving down to Florida this Saturday with a stopover in Wythville NC.

Google maps give a couple of choices, showing fastest and shortest being taking I-79 joining I-77 at Beckley next best is going over on I-90 then dropping down just before Cleveland hitting I-77 then a straight run down. The latter route shows as being about 1/2 hr slower.

Anyone familiar with these routes that can give me benefit of their experience it would be appreciated.

I tend to drive about 5 mph over posted speed but if traffic is going faster will keep up with it. Is posted speed the same on both routes? It would appear to me mountain areas don't come into play until I almost hit I-77 on the shortest route.

Will traffic be bad going around Pittsburgh Saturday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:21 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times
I personally would head to Pittsburgh. To me heading to Cleveland seems a bit further.

You shouldn't have any traffic problems taking 79 past Pittsburgh on a Saturday. 79 runs about 10 miles west of downtown & since most of Pittsburgh's growth/sprawl is east & south of the city you'll be on the western edge of the metro area.

79 actually meets 77 in Charleston, WV not Beckley. They come together just outside of Charleston & then combine with 64 (a toll road) just after Charleston. 77 & 64 split just after Beckley (77 remains a toll road until you cross into Virginia).

Posted speed limit varies. Ohio, PA & NY all have a maximum 65 mph on interstate highways (though I believe Ohio is going to raise it to 70 in some areas beginning in April), around cities it is going to be 50-60. Once you hit WV it will be mostly 70 mph on highways in rural areas (but it will be lower around towns & cities). I believe it pretty much stays 70 from WV all the way to Florida.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM

Thanks for helping out.

Google map shows splitting of and taking hwy 19 down to I-77 meets just above Beckley. This supposedly cuts 43 miles and about 30 minutes off the trip.

Looks like hyw 19 is about 75 mile trip to where it meets I-77 any idea what this route is like? Doesn't show many towns but could be just 2 lanes, sometimes better to take the better route but 43 miles is a lot to make up unless 19 runs real slow.

I read somewhere that you had to keep to posted speed on 19 or risk getting nabbed.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:28 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times
I've never been on Rt 19 but on the map it looks like it is a decent option. I did Google it & found that locals of the Summersville area have given it the name "Worlds Biggest Speedtrap" ......... certainly something to be aware of.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 PM

Thanks again just came across this while trying to find out about the route

Appalachian Development Highway System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberry View Post
Thanks again just came across this while trying to find out about the route

Appalachian Development Highway System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm lost....

Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
I'm lost....
Not sure what you mean but Corridor L refers to the stretch of road Hwy 19 running between I-79 and I-77 cutting off a roundabout trip following 79 to where it hits 77 further North.

This is what the (Appalachian Development Highway System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) link gives you for Corridor L

Pertinent info pulled out

Corridor L

Corridor L is part of the Appalachian Development Highway System in the U.S. state of West Virginia. It follows the path of U.S. Route 19 between Beckley and Sutton. By exiting onto Corridor L from Interstate 79 at milepost 57 a southbound traveller can eliminate 40 miles (64 km), and $2.25 in tolls, re-entering the interstate system at the West Virginia Turnpike (Interstate 64 and Interstate 77) at milepost 48.

Originally this corridor was built as a four-lane divided highway for only the half south of U.S. Route 60; however, the large amount of traffic (as part of the direct route from the cities of Toronto, Ontario; Buffalo, New York; and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Florida) forced the state to rethink this plan and upgrade the northern half to four lanes as well.[citation needed]

High vehicle accident rates and potential revenues led to strict enforcement of traffic speed limits. The town of Summersville has been identified as a speed trap by the National Motorists Association

Old 03-31-2011, 05:55 PM

323 posts, read 1,790,988 times
I have driven this route tons of times. Route 19 is a speed trap. The way I handled it is to come to acceptance and go slow! Cops everywhere just looking to nail a New Yorker!
The drive itself is boring but fast. I have not driven it in a few years but I am sure it hasn't changed that much

Old 04-01-2011, 04:41 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
I have driven this route tons of times. Route 19 is a speed trap. The way I handled it is to come to acceptance and go slow! Cops everywhere just looking to nail a New Yorker!
The drive itself is boring but fast. I have not driven it in a few years but I am sure it hasn't changed that much
x2

19 has some great scenery once it heads into VA, before it ties into I-64/I-81 and, finally, I-77.

I-77 ends in Columbia, and from there you can take I-26 to I-95. I-95 plain stinks, so going the other way you can take I-85 from Charlotte to the Atlanta area, to I-285 (outer beltway), to I-675, then to I-75 which brings you out at Lake City, which is due west of Jacksonville.

Avoid I-95 at all costs.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:49 AM

414 posts, read 1,504,897 times
the Beckley rt through alt19 is quick, take it. I have run that route dozens of times. I take the route via, Erie, Pittsburg, Beckley, Charolette, Columbia, Savannah, etc...If you are headed to anywhere in Florida other than Jacksonville stay off the 301 if it all possible. It will make you miserable...I promise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area