Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:13 PM

35 posts, read 54,505 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Raleigh, NC which is a melting pot of transplants from all over the US and the world.

I am originly from Western New York between Buffalo and Jamestown.
The other night I met someone who was from Long Island-when I told her I was from Upstate NY she responded with the usual nasty and demeaning comments regarding Upstate NY and is inhabitants.

I've gotten this response from other LI folks when I tell them I'm from NY-only upstate. Why do downstate Nyers despise western and upstate NY so much? What did we ever do to them?

BTW, I find WNY folks MUCH friendlier then LI or NYC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 PM

879 posts, read 1,632,095 times
Was just down in NYC. Recieved no ill will or bad vibe. I've heard some in WNY slam their downstate brethren referring to them as parasitic, but these people are generally without a clue.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
There are several million people on LI. I am one and I can assure you that those I do know like upstate/WNY.

I am truly sorry if you've met some crabby people. They aren't representative of the majority of us.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Was just down in NYC. Recieved no ill will or bad vibe. I've heard some in WNY slam their downstate brethren referring to them as parasitic, but these people are generally without a clue.
I heard all sorts of nasty downstate stereotype stuff when I attended school in Albany. The worst offender was from Watervliet. Simply because I was from LI she labelled me a Jewish American Princess. Funny thing is I'm Catholic, pale white Hispanic with blue collar parents. The dip couldn't have been any more wrong about me.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:58 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,819,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I heard all sorts of nasty downstate stereotype stuff when I attended school in Albany. The worst offender was from Watervliet. Simply because I was from LI she labelled me a Jewish American Princess. Funny thing is I'm Catholic, pale white Hispanic with blue collar parents. The dip couldn't have been any more wrong about me.
If you were at Albany you know ir has a high student population of LI/NY. [Gees, in another thread, you said Stony Brook - did you go home?) I came from LI to Buffalo and heard this obnoxious speech I never "heard" at home. It was embarrassasing when clusters of loudmouths ( some of whom I went to HS with) got together for the exact purpose of making it all the more obnoxious to the people who were from WNY.

It was the first time in my life I was grateful my mother -- being an astute businesswoman and knowing strong accents are not appreciated in many areas -- had corrected me to speak relatively unaccented English & made me sing choir and chorus -- which teaches you unaccented speech as well. People knew I wasn't local; most oddly thought I was Canadian. 42 years late, no one ever asks. Funny, if I am visiting on LI, I am asked what part of the country I am from...

Sorry, being from downstate and having come to school upstate and with the loudmouths I was reared with.... the worst offenders are the people who make a point of trying to stand out as "NEW-YAWKAS and LAWNG-IHLAHNDAS". It sounds crude and pushing it at locals is insulting and groups at colleges do it: no different than boorish Americans in foreign countries who try to make everyone speak English.

I say Zoggin is right on the friendliness here and the rudeness of of many from the southeastern cornern of the state when they are out of the element .

Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 AM

879 posts, read 1,632,095 times
Also probably both groups are highly opinionated about their respective areas. NYC is great, and WNY is great. I could live in either place no problem. Although raising kids in NYC would be a bit tricky but people obviously do it. I also find the reason I stayed in Buffalo was because of the great friends I made and isn't that really what makes a place special? It's never the place, but rather the people, the place is generally of little consequence. Except, I will say that WNY is very lacking in jobs. If you can make it and find one, great, you're in, otherwise it's hard-scrabble.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,349,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoggin View Post
I currently live in Raleigh, NC which is a melting pot of transplants from all over the US and the world.

I am originly from Western New York between Buffalo and Jamestown.
The other night I met someone who was from Long Island-when I told her I was from Upstate NY she responded with the usual nasty and demeaning comments regarding Upstate NY and is inhabitants.

I've gotten this response from other LI folks when I tell them I'm from NY-only upstate. Why do downstate Nyers despise western and upstate NY so much? What did we ever do to them?

BTW, I find WNY folks MUCH friendlier then LI or NYC...
This is a sore subject with alot of WNY'ers! Believe me. I graduated from SUNY @ Buffalo and some of the Long Islanders could be so crude! Many called these people ***'s *Jewish American Princesses* because they would stick their noses up here lol.. Funny though, if they had so much money why not go to Rutgers or Princeton? Why? Because we have excellent education here that is reasonable...Cost of living cheaper but mansions going up here in Clarence, Williamsville, Orchard Park areas...Also bash the weather in Buffalo...come on...NYC isn't that far away.... They experience snow just like other parts of NY! If you go to other states, there are no four seasons which I missed when I lived out West for a bit and truly missed the Northeast feel!

People are so friendly and genuine in Buffalo. Living in MA for several years, people were more aloof...but there were many nice people too. My husband is from MA and he's ok in my book !

I do love NYC though as I went there often and people were super!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
If you were at Albany you know ir has a high student population of LI/NY. [Gees, in another thread, you said Stony Brook - did you go home?) I came from LI to Buffalo and heard this obnoxious speech I never "heard" at home. It was embarrassasing when clusters of loudmouths ( some of whom I went to HS with) got together for the exact purpose of making it all the more obnoxious to the people who were from WNY.But does this make everyone bad, or just the cluster?

It was the first time in my life I was grateful my mother -- being an astute businesswoman and knowing strong accents are not appreciated in many areas -- had corrected me to speak relatively unaccented English & made me sing choir and chorus -- which teaches you unaccented speech as well. People knew I wasn't local; most oddly thought I was Canadian. 42 years late, no one ever asks. Funny, if I am visiting on LI, I am asked what part of the country I am from...A close friend has lived out west for 21 years -- no traces of LI at all.

Sorry, being from downstate and having come to school upstate and with the loudmouths I was reared with.... the worst offenders are the people who make a point of trying to stand out as "NEW-YAWKAS and LAWNG-IHLAHNDAS". It sounds crude and pushing it at locals is insulting and groups at colleges do it: no different than boorish Americans in foreign countries who try to make everyone speak English. Again a small group and not indicative of all LIers or Americans.

I say Zoggin is right on the friendliness here and the rudeness of of many from the southeastern cornern of the state when they are out of the element .
With all due respect, your post isn't exactly exuding the WNY friendliness in it's assertion that many LIers are rude. You can only speak for those you've experienced whether 100 or 10,000 -- it's a very minute fraction of a percentage. I am not saying we're all sweetness and light, either, but many LIers I am around on a daily basis are good people.

A little background: prior to college, I was in a program at school where we had exchanges with other schools throughout the state. It was to help all of us learn more about the state, our regions, and how they have influenced the area politically, economically and socially. I made a best friend 33 years ago who was from Caledonia -- which was about as opposite of LI (or so it seamed at 14) as one could get. I loved the experience and meeting new people. Maybe that's why I take umbrage when one group insults another because of a few dolts.

Started at Albany, changed from undeclared to a bio major, transferred to Stony Brook as it was a much better school for science. Lived on campus at both schools; my home was too far of a commute to SBU.

Whereas you cite the stereotypical loudmouths, I dealt with a group of boorish upstaters who were nasty when it came to dropped Rs, anyone who was different, and who thought all downstaters were thugs. I was able to lose my accent -- hopefully they've lost their nastiness. One thing I realized is they weren't indicative of all upstate people.

I left a relatively small public school for a large state university for an education and to meet new people with different experiences -- not to have to deal with being razzed for 'being a Jew' (I'm not) or being a Lawn Guylandah. These were girls who were freaked out when the learned one of our suite mates was from Brooklyn, before they met her. I can't print the crap spewed from their mouths. They couldn't bleach their sheets white enough. Surprise to them that the girl who showed up wasn't black, but Asian. The girl from Sidney must not have seen an Asian person, judging by the way she stared.

At Albany I found a group of friends who were from Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess counties. Sophomore year we all planned to live in the same dorm. My room mate was a sweet girl from Schenectady. They had more in common with me than my LI peers. Yes, many LI kids were annoying, but not all. Many were Jewish, but not all. To this day I am still friends with many of those WPD friends.

At Stony Brook I found a group of friends from all over the state, country and world. The nasty girls I left behind in Albany would have withered and died at such a diverse campus. I guess, in a way, Albany sort of sheltered them -- it wasn't downstate, it was on the edge of a small city, and not too far from home. Something I've never done, however, is to paint all upstaters with the same brush.

One thing I've noticed is the loud, flashy and overbearing types will always get noticed -- no matter where they are from -- and inevitably someone will assume their rotten behavior is representative of everyone else from where they hail.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 AM

744 posts, read 1,769,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
...Also bash the weather in Buffalo...come on...NYC isn't that far away.... They experience snow just like other parts of NY! !
Seems to me like the Northeast October Snowstorm a couple of weeks back dropped 4-5 inches on Central Park but zilch on Delaware Park. Plus on average they get nearly a foot more in total percipitation each year than we do,

Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Seems to me like the Northeast October Snowstorm a couple of weeks back dropped 4-5 inches on Central Park but zilch on Delaware Park. Plus on average they get nearly a foot more in total percipitation each year than we do,
Long Island didn't get hit, but to the north and south they had quite the mess.

The precip/snow is a trade off. We get more rain, you get more snow probably earlier and in greater volume than we normally do. Upstate has a far better handle on the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area