Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:18 PM

170 posts, read 252,255 times

Advertisements

Janvier, Rodney's has awesome fish fry's! I just texted my sister this morning about making sure she takes a 1/2 on a friday in October the week I am there just so we can go there There are many many great fish places though so try them all! Also ridiculously good pizza and wings, beef on weck, sponge candy...and the list goes on.

The Village is adoreable but the taxes are higher. So are you in the Frontier district then?

If you like craft shows at all, Orchard Park does a great one every September. Also, get a copy of the ArtVoice, available at many stores as you walk in or out where they have the free newspapers. Check out the September Allentown Tour of Homes. Your Hamburg location puts the gorgeous Southern Tier and the wonderful, diverse, and artsy Buffalo downtown/Allentown/Elmwood Village all in easy drives. Take the kids to the Palace theater in Hamburg too...cheap weekend and Monday eve shows.

Oh, I love my WNY...alas, my job is on the West Coast right now...and hubby is tired of the winters. Hopefully we can afford to be half year residents at some point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 PM

33 posts, read 79,951 times
It's been a long while since I've been here so sorry I just read your responses. AugustRN, yes we are in the Frontier district and are pretty happy about that. My son excels in music and we understand they have an award winning music program, also their foreign language program seem to offer a lot as well. My daughter just got settled into Canisius, (which we are also very impressed with.) The Dean of Admissions there had nothing but good to say about Hamburg Schools.
Thank you so much for the suggestions and advice. We will be sure to check out the palace theatre. We were just informed that in the summer they play outside movies in the village. It's going to be so refreshing for us to be in an area that offers so much as far as culture, activities, shopping...We feel like kids in a candy store!!

..and Marc3565 The Polar Plunge does sound exciting!! I'll be happy to be a spectator. : )

Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 PM

196 posts, read 443,178 times
Ok, tongue in cheek. Dont hate me for this.

A large greazzee piece of haddock with 3 overflowing mounds of suspect, cream based, salads with, of course, a slice of rye bread, and if yer lucky, with butter. All for $8. If the ends of the fish dont surpass the plate, its a "bad" fish fry.

STOP THE HADDOCK! (PETW - people eating tasteee Walleyes!)

I have been very successfull turning many buffalo residents off haddock. Walleye "yellow pike", and yellow perch have helped a ton.

Glad things worked out for ya. Sounds like your doing well!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 AM

lol, Thanks. But I love Haddock!! Actually we love all Seafood, and always welcome good recommendations. What's exciting to us is that there are so many choices in the area. I agree as well that Walleye is fantastic.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 PM

20 posts, read 49,397 times
We are also a military family who ended up in this area. You got an amazing amount of information in your thread! It was hard for me because I was unable to come here to see anything being in California at the time. We ended up in Elma, however, and we just love it. We have to most beautiful view and a very private heavily wooded 1.6 acre lot with a beautiful old home. We are just loving the area so far! It is strange not being near a military base anymore, however. I've spent the last 31+ years living near or on military bases. I'm glad to read that your family has found an area you love.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 AM

Yes, I have found these boards very helpful. We would have never even looked in the Hamburg area if not for the responses I received back on these boards. We are set to move this week!!, Actually my husband has been staying in Buffalo since May, while I was home selling the house. This week we will all move to Hamburg. I think it will be the perfect place for us. Elma was another area that came up when we decided to broaden our search. Very pretty. There's a lot fo very pretty smaller towns not far from Buffalo.

I hear what you are saying about not being near a base. As far as commissary goes, I believe Fort Drum is the closest. It's about a 3 hour drive from here to Buffalo.

Is it you are your spouse in the military( or both?) Are you/they still in? My husband isn't sure if he will retire after this posting. He's as 18 years now and will be here for at least the next 3 years. He just finished his sixth deployment this past February so we are thrilled to be in one place all together for a while.

Glad to hear that you and your family have found a great place to live. Much luck and happiness to you!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 PM

20 posts, read 49,397 times
My husband is in the Marine Corps. He is at 12 years so he still has some time to go. We really wanted to stay near his office since he works such long hours but finding a house to rent that was big enough and had what we wanted plus would allow animals wasn't easy at all. I'm so thankful for the house we found and the schools our kids will be going to as well. I like Hamburg as well. We can get to it fairly quickly along Southwestern. It seems like I can get everywhere quickly here (as compared to SoCal).

My husband was actually attached to a unit out of Ft. Drum for one of his deployments. It was the special troops unit (or something like that) of the 10th Mountain Division. I'm not sure if I got that right. They didn't wear their normal uniforms and they grew beards, lol.

I know what you mean about being together. We've been married 11.5 years and have spent half of it apart. It is hard on everyone.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Sorry so long for the reply...we did the move and were without internet for a few weeks.
Now that we are here I am loving it. I like it so much more than the Watertown area for many reasons. One being the ease of getting places. The people here really are just genuinely nice and I've found extremely helpful. And of course best of all is finally being together under one roof. So nice to be a normal family for a while and actually go places and do things together. So all good. Sounds like you grew up Military as well. That had to be tough as a child. I was worried about moving my son after 3 years with him starting his second year of high school, but he seems to be adapting just fine.

That's Fort Drum home of the 10 Mountain Division. : ) You see a lot of joint operations within the forces, especially with deployments. Sounds exactly like what it was. When my husband was at FT Carson, he was attached to 10the group special forces and they did similar things.

How old are your children? Ours are 18, 14 and 2.....yes large gap. I'm looking forward to getting out in the community and meeting new people. I have to admit, even though I was involved with an FRG at FT Drum, I wasn't as inspired to get involved with community events. I feel very differently here and am looking forward to many opportunities.
Hope all is well with you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area