Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 PM

33 posts, read 80,046 times

Advertisements

Well have I said already how happy I am to have found this site? I decided to go through and research though quite a few of the other posts about moving to Buffalo. I am impressed with how helpful some of you Senior members are to everyone. That being said, and with my husband relying on me to set our course, I have decided to concentrate our search on Hamburg, East Aurora, Orchard Park, and Lewiston. I am not ruling out Elma yet, but have not seen a lot about it, though I've noted CkhThankgod's input on the quality of it's schools.
It seems that when anyone who is headed toward Buffalo asks about the best place to buy, we are given the same answer; Wlliamsville, East Amherst, and Clarence. My husband and I focused our trips around these areas and really did like what we saw, especially Clarence. But after reading the many inputs on this site, it seems the towns we've now decided to focus on suit who we are more and still offer a good education.
genoobie, I've focused a lot of your posts as you have a good insight and schools and how rankings are obtained. I can appreciate what you are saying about the innovativeness found in some of the city schools. That paired with a video that Ckhthankgod posted on Elmwood made me consider for a minute about living in the city itself. I just know that we are much happier on the outskirts and am now feeling a lot more confident about where are search will now be focused. My husband and I have seen a few houses online on the Hamburg area that we are pretty excited to go take a look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,602,256 times
Janvier, I grew up in East Aurora, not too terribly long ago, and can provide any (only slightly biased) info you need.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 PM

Hi Topchief1, Sorry it took so long to get back, we've been out of town. We are interested in anything you have to say on East Aurora. Is there any part of town you recommend? We like some space, but would love to be able to be close to parks, community events etc. I also bike a lot with my daughter, any good places for that? Really any info you could provide would be great. Thanks! : )

Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 PM

14 posts, read 30,778 times
Don't count out Tonawanda or Kenmore. Wide range of housing stock in the town, from charming and denser urban homes to larger and more modern suburban houses north of Sheridan Drive. Both high schools are very good especially for honor students, as they both now have International Baccalaureate programs for those desiring more rigorous coursework. House prices, both in renting and owning, will hit you in the wallet far less than somewhere in Clarence, Williamsville, East Amherst or East Aurora.

Commuting from anywhere in the northtowns is a breeze, especially considering Canisius is adjacent to a major expressway.

I just moved to Kenmore last year, and am loving it, so let me know if you have any questions.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM

Long time since I've posted, been so busy. So been out to the Buffalo area a few times house hunting and have happily settled on the South towns. Especially Hamburg/Boston area. Love the village of Hamburg! Also considering Orchard Park. Now it's just a matter of finding the right house. Actually did find one and the day we decided to bid on it, someone else beat us to it and it was sold. Now deciding on two in Hamburg right now.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:54 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,549,639 times
You're gonna love Hamburg!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,276,042 times
East Aurora has tons of restaurants and laid back bars. I know cause I lived there for many years.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 PM

170 posts, read 252,869 times
you will love Hamburg! I miss it everyday since we moved out West. Enjoy your time in Buffalo..it will grow on you and become dear to your heart.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM

AugustRN, I think you are right. We were all over the place when we started our search, then because of these boards, we branched out to the South towns, and just fell in love with Hamburg. Houses in Hamburg are selling pretty quickly,(at least the ones we were interested in were)we lost a couple before we could bid, and many more we never made it to even look at. It was tough because I have to pack up the kids, board the dogs and do the drive from Watertown every time I need to meet my husband out there to look at houses. We were focusing on living near the village, but ended up bidding on a house over on the Lake Erie side. They accepted our bid and we are thrilled. We've already discovered Rodney's around the corner and enjoyed their fish fry and are delighted to find a beach within walking distance. All good stuff!! Another family from FT Drum is relocating to the area, and I've directed them to these boards. Very helpful.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:40 PM

984 posts, read 2,716,918 times
Welcome to Hamburg!..

Your location will make it easy for you join in the polar plunge in December
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area