Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 PM

6 posts, read 21,414 times

Advertisements

This came to me as a surprise.

I have issues with my downstairs neighbor which likes to turn on the music in his apt, and sunbathe out in the yard.

The bass echoes and shakes the apartment.

After talking to him a few times, the point came where I finally had to call the police.

When the police arrived, my neighbor told me to buy earplugs.

The police officers told me that the noise level was within code and he came upstairs and said when you live in apartments, you will have some noise which will cross over.

Today the guy blasted his music for 6 hours, this just pushed me to the limit o f annoyance and again I called the police, and the dispatcher tried to explain to me that if they get like 10 - 15 complaints at once, they would likely send a the police there to check it out, otherwise it probably won't be worthwhile.

Anyways, I guess the best solution to this is to just move out, which I am doing anyways.

I moved from Maryland and I don't think something like this would be tolerated there.

I mean the way stuff goes nowadays, so many people work nights, people work from their homes, have different schedules and noise especially the sound of continuous music is just not good.

Looking at the Lackawanna, NY code, it says that if sound projects 50 ft beyond a structure between 8:00 am - 11:00 pm, that is a violation.

Just to make it clear what to expect in Lackawanna, if anybody likes peace and quiet and ends up with a neighbor which turns up his music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 AM

908 posts, read 1,118,565 times
Welcome to the finer things in life.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:55 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,899 times
You're stating that all of Lackawana is this way. Sounds more like you just have a bad neighbor.
That said, apartment living is rarely perfect. There is a certain amount of noise that you will need to learn to tolerate. Hope it gets better for you.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
You're stating that all of Lackawana is this way. Sounds more like you just have a bad neighbor.
That said, apartment living is rarely perfect. There is a certain amount of noise that you will need to learn to tolerate. Hope it gets better for you.
Well it is to the level that my two kids woke up today to loud music, sleep deprived.

Then they complained of headaches, by 7:00 they were tired because they didn't get a good nights rest.

I'm a pretty tolerant person, and understand, but it is too the point where it is affecting the health and comfort of my family.

I know for a fact this would never of been an issue in Maryland. The police is super strict there.

Right now, I'm feeling a little threatened because the person is pretty much doing this to make our lives bad or to instigate.

The landlord was here this afternoon and he also agreed that it was louder then one can tolerate.

He went down and asked him to turn it down but the neighbor refused, and said to go ahead and call the police.

Of course I have a bad neighbor, but when there's laws and enforcement, there would never be an issue.

Anyways we will be moving out of Lackawanna, were going back to Maryland to Frederick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
The answer to this is no, there is not a certain amount of noise that a tenant should tolerate.

I did a little research. This is from the district court of Maryland's website. The law comprises the entire state of Maryland.

[SIZE=2]A tenant has the right to quiet enjoyment of rented property, free from persistent noise or ongoing disturbances caused by the landlord or other tenant(s).[/SIZE]

In my opinion this is a fine law, if I were to continue living in New York, after this incidence I would not be living in Lackawanna, cause you never know what kind of neighbor you will end up with and if you end up with a loud neighbor, you're stuck with the task of trying to quiet him down, or fighting to get out of your lease agreement, either way you look at it, it is undue effort.

Last edited by Adnan2011; 05-06-2012 at 08:30 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 PM

83 posts, read 171,126 times
You have a bad neighbor. Plain and simple.

What do you think something is in the water in Lackawanna that makes people rude? Gimme a break.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,936 times
So one rude person reflects on a whole area? I could possibly understand if you had nothing but trouble where ever you go there, but one guy blasting his music? I agree is loud and unacceptable. The landlord could tell him to knock it off, then if he doesn't, tell him to hit the road following the state requirements for eviction. It is your right to enjoy your apartment, but unless there are rules for the apartment building that restrict the noise, you are pretty much out of luck. The landlord won't try that hard because he makes money. He can always find new people to fill the space. That's why owning your own house gives you freedom. You don't have to deal with other people if you don't want to.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:45 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,954 times
Hahaha...Not tolerated in Maryland???

I used to live in a place called Breezy Point. My neighbor had dogs out in the yard chained who would howl all day and night. Garbage piled up to the height of the roof (they didn't have curbside pickup there). Called the police a few times, no laws being broken...two stroke ATV's and other loud machines all day...yep, country livin' at its finest.

Oh well, chalk it up to bad neighbor and move on / out etc. That certainly does sound like a crummy situation, but not tolerated in Maryland??? *snort*

Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Hahaha...Not tolerated in Maryland???

I used to live in a place called Breezy Point. My neighbor had dogs out in the yard chained who would howl all day and night. Garbage piled up to the height of the roof (they didn't have curbside pickup there). Called the police a few times, no laws being broken...two stroke ATV's and other loud machines all day...yep, country livin' at its finest.

Oh well, chalk it up to bad neighbor and move on / out etc. That certainly does sound like a crummy situation, but not tolerated in Maryland??? *snort*
In all honesty it is NOT TOLERATED IN MARYLAND. I don't know about the garbage pile up, but noise is definitely not tolerated.

This is right from the District Court of Maryland's website
Tenant - Landlord Issues
DC/CV 82 TBR (Rev. 9/2011)

A tenant has the right to quiet enjoyment of rented property, free from persistent noise or ongoing disturbances caused by the landlord or other tenant(s).

When u lived in Breezy Point, were you a tenant? The law which I posted is specifically for tenants. If so, did you specifically mention about the dogs howling all day and night? Also how long ago was this, it is also possible that these laws were not established at the time you called.

If in fact you were a tenant and the laws were in effect, you could of showed the police officer that came there a copy of the clause. The problem then would not be the law but the police officer not willing to enforce it.

But if there is no law, then what can the police officer enforce? Do u understand the point of debate here?

A similar situation could be that Martin, Zimmerman case going on right now. Even though the guy killed a kid, there is a strong likelihood that he may get off on self defense based on the Florida 'Stand you ground law'. After knowing this, you're not going to find me living in Florida, no way.

I'm sure there are 100s of people like me, longing peace, quiet and security. If I had known of this before I moved, I would definitely have looked elsewhere after reading the city code first.

I moved here from Maryland and I can attest, this problem is non existent in Maryland.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnan2011 View Post
I moved here from Maryland and I can attest, this problem is non existent in Maryland.

I know some are dated conversations but pointing to a law on the books and declaring this means issues are non-existent is not a sound argument.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...-neighbor.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...c-outside.html
Tenant being abused by upstairs noisy neighbors-HELP !! - Lawyers.com Community

I'll part with a story I found along the way...

Donald MacDonald from the Isle of Skye went to study at an
English university and was living in the hall of residence with
all the other students there. After he had been there a month,
his mother came to visit him.

"And how do you find the English students, Donald?" she asked.

"Mother," he replied, "they're such terrible, noisy people. The
one on that side keeps banging his head on the wall and won't
stop. The one on the other side screams and screams all night."

"Oh Donald! How do you manage to put up with these awful noisy
English neighbors?"

"Mother, I do nothing. I just ignore them. I just stay here
quietly, playing my bagpipes."

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
I know some are dated conversations but pointing to a law on the books and declaring this means issues are non-existent is not a sound argument.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...c-outside.html
Tenant being abused by upstairs noisy neighbors-HELP !! - Lawyers.com Community

I'll part with a story I found along the way...

Donald MacDonald from the Isle of Skye went to study at an
English university and was living in the hall of residence with
all the other students there. After he had been there a month,
his mother came to visit him.

"And how do you find the English students, Donald?" she asked.

"Mother," he replied, "they're such terrible, noisy people. The
one on that side keeps banging his head on the wall and won't
stop. The one on the other side screams and screams all night."

"Oh Donald! How do you manage to put up with these awful noisy
English neighbors?"

"Mother, I do nothing. I just ignore them. I just stay here
quietly, playing my bagpipes."

Yes, I actually do attest that noise is not tolerated in Maryland and I am experiencing the fact that there is little to no protection in the Lackawanna, NY code to stop a noisy neighbor (tenant).

If you find some solid proof, some clause of the law, which gives a tenant easy remedy, by all means post it here.

Here is the law which applies to the entire state of Maryland.
Tenant - Landlord Issues
DC/CV 82 TBR (Rev. 9/2011)

A tenant has the right to quiet enjoyment of rented property, free from persistent noise or ongoing disturbances caused by the landlord or other tenant(s).

Now, the posts that u gave as examples.

The first one, 'help-noisy-neighbor', did u read that post, it pretty much ended with 'we called the police'. There was one more post which the OP made, and that was the end of it. It didn't reflect an ongoing issue, or unresolved issue.

I would go back and read that post again.

You're second example of Maryland
(Neighbor Girls Playing Music Outside) ended with I'll politely address the issue. Again, no sign of an ongoing problem in the post you gave as an example.

You're third example from Maryland
(what-should-i-do-loud-neighbor) the guy made 1 single post, here is a clip from it.
I ended up calling a police officer. (the lasting I want to do to solve this stupid issue) I went down and told them to lower the volume... of course, they did for that moment but next day
Going by this person's post, its obvious that the police did actually do something about the issue and they lowered the volume for a day. When he or if he did call the next day, I can assure you it will not be a pleasant warning by the police, they will enforce that code like you would not expect.

Now in my situation, in Lackawanna, the landlord actually went down asked the tenant to lower the volume and the reply was, that I"m not turning the volume down, go ahead and call the police if you want to.

I have an ongoing problem, months which is not resolved.

Be real, who would actually want to live in a place where something like this can keep going on.

Now I'm thinking of getting the child protective services involved cause the issue is bad for my kids health.

So my argument stands. Until the city makes changes to its code, I will never rent a place in Lackawanna. And I'm sure people that value peace and quiet will appreciate my posts just as a warning to either look elsewhere or get an idea of what to expect.

Maybe somebody from Lackawanna government can read my post and see if the code needs to be changed.

Last edited by Adnan2011; 05-08-2012 at 09:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area