Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. (WIVB) - He defies death on the high-wire and aerial artist Nik Wallenda has defied the odds yet again! The Ontario Parks Commission finally okayed a tightrope walk across the mighty Niagara.

Wallenda won approval to walk a tightrope over the Horse Shoe Falls, from the United States to Canada, on Wednesday.

Wallenda gets green light for Falls walk | WIVB.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 AM

22 posts, read 58,644 times
Default Highwire Act is a watered-down Joke!

Nik Wallenda will not be defying anything ... certainly not death! Squeamish ABC is forcing him to use a harness and tether for his walk in the park across Niagara Falls. The tether takes all the drama and excitement from the much ballyhooed event. Even a toddler with a tether could do it! Phttt!

Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
Nik Wallenda will not be defying anything ... certainly not death! Squeamish ABC is forcing him to use a harness and tether for his walk in the park across Niagara Falls. The tether takes all the drama and excitement from the much ballyhooed event. Even a toddler with a tether could do it! Phttt!
"Wallenda says he'll be walking without a tether. But in the event something goes wrong, he has a clip on a belt around his waist and will immediately hang on the wire. He'll be training with wind machines and water to experience the worst."

Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 AM

Default A little little more palatable, but not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
"Wallenda says he'll be walking without a tether. But in the event something goes wrong, he has a clip on a belt around his waist and will immediately hang on the wire. He'll be training with wind machines and water to experience the worst."
Thanks for that information. I hadn't heard about that. Where did you hear it? If true, it'll make the event more acceptable and interesting to watch. Nevertheless, it's still kind of ... , well, I don't what the right word is. Not quite right or something.

Wallenda wanted to do it without any safety devices, but he said that since ABC is financing the whole thing, he can't do anything about it.

I don't want to see him get hurt either. But I think if a dare devil claims to be a dare devil, he ought to be one; not pussyfoot around and turn an event into an international joke and laughing stock of the world.

Oh well, good luck to all!

Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,732 times
He is wearing the tether. He has a clip to release the tether should it pose a risk.
Question now is will he release it..

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...e-stay-tied-in

Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
If there was no tether, it would be certain death plunging from that height. Certain death that would be televised on national TV. Is that what we have come to in America? A violent culture that thinks walking across a tightrope with a tether is weak? Funny the people who claim that they would do it with a tether aren't actually getting their fat, potato chip eating a$$e$ off the Barcolounger to do it. Tether or not, that takes serious balls to do, and skill.

I'm glad ABC is making him wear a tether. I want to see someone do something with great skill and courage, not watch someone die.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 PM

Default Pocos Cojones

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm glad ABC is making him wear a tether. I want to see someone do something with great skill and courage, not watch someone die.
I don't want to see him die either. But when a daredevil bills, promotes and advertises himself as a daredevil, then do-gooder ABC should let him be a daredevil. Who's gonna be the anchor for this phony fiasco anyway -- the weepy Diane Sawyer?

Wallenda should cancel the whole mess. Being secured by a tether will destroy his and his family's sterling international reputation forever as a daredevils.
Boo-hoo, hoo. WaWaWa. Oh mommie hold my wittle hand.

ABC is saying Oh! It's the children! The children, the children, the children! It's always America's Democrat-brainwashed children. Phtttt! Cover the eyes of the "sensitive" little brats or don't let them watch TV!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
Thanks for that information. I hadn't heard about that. Where did you hear it? If true, it'll make the event more acceptable and interesting to watch. Nevertheless, it's still kind of ... , well, I don't what the right word is. Not quite right or something.

Wallenda wanted to do it without any safety devices, but he said that since ABC is financing the whole thing, he can't do anything about it.

I don't want to see him get hurt either. But I think if a dare devil claims to be a dare devil, he ought to be one; not pussyfoot around and turn an event into an international joke and laughing stock of the world.

Oh well, good luck to all!
I was quoting from that link, but I noticed it was from May, so things could have certainly changed since then

Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,258 times
Tether or no Tether. What he did tonight was nothing short of amazing. I'm glad he had the tether on, I don't have the stomach to watch someone plummet to their death. Good publicity for the hard luck town of Niagara Falls. I didn't expect ABC to have a 2 hour Pre-walk show either, almost too much coverage of the event.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
If there was no tether, it would be certain death plunging from that height. Certain death that would be televised on national TV. Is that what we have come to in America? A violent culture that thinks walking across a tightrope with a tether is weak? Funny the people who claim that they would do it with a tether aren't actually getting their fat, potato chip eating a$$e$ off the Barcolounger to do it. Tether or not, that takes serious balls to do, and skill.

Oh stop. ABC spent over an hour repeating how dangerous it was, and then forced him to wear safety gear. He didn't even want to wear safety gear.

It has nothing to do with death. It has everything to do with defying it. How can you defy something when you have a safety harness on?

You missed the point completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area