Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 AM

8 posts, read 14,471 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm looking at possibly buying a house in Amherst. The house is about a half-mile east from the Harlem/Kensington intersection. This is pretty close to Ken/Eggert, where there is a fairly decent amount of crime.

Is there anyone from around this part of Amherst/Buffalo that can give me their experience/thoughts regarding this part of Amherst? Do they see a lot of crime, are they comfortable living in this area, has the area changed in recent years, crime-wise.

Just trying to get a feel. I've driven by the house many times the past few weeks and nothing has stood out to me. But looking at some crime statistics recently has given me some pause. The house is not too far from a pretty high-crime area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
It's bizarre in that area. It's like the crime stops at the Amherst line. So weird. But yes right over the line into Buffalo it gets unsafe. That part of Snyder is very safe though! I don't understand how it works, but that is the truth.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 PM

196 posts, read 443,117 times
Yeah, schnyder is pretty safe. I did take the bus a few times from Williamsville to downtown. We went down kensington. Once you leave schnyder and hit buffalo, it looks dicey. Now, this is coming from a fellow from chicago that has been in williamsville/east amherst a few years. So, dicey is dicey in any town.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times
I would be careful re: property values in that area (they seem to be falling, not in Snyder but in immediately adjacent areas in Amherst). The area is fine. Snyder is very safe and even the area immediately near there is safe. Even in Buffalo it's not as dangerous as people make it seem (unless you like to buy large amounts of drugs with cash at 3 AM or you owe some gang members some money)

Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 AM

223 posts, read 732,446 times
If you move up Keningston or Wehrle a bit into Williamsville the home prices are more stable and it's very safe with (IMHO) better schools.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,557 times
My daughter lives in Snyder..beautiful area.. Smallwood school is one of the best

Old 12-01-2012, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 14,471 times
Thanks for all the responses! Still conflicted about it unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area